“LOVELY RELAXING BREAK”

La Penita Apartments
Ranked #9 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Having visited Puerto Del Carmen for many years now and having stayed at different apartments each time, we decided to try La Penita and we were not disappointed. These apartments are spacious, extremely clean, well equipped, on a central location, very secure and the whole complex was spotless. All the staff including the maintenance staff are extremely friendly, helpful and cannot do enough for you. This was highlighted on our first day when I lost my purse in the taxi from the airport, and having reported it to reception immediately on arrival they immediately contacted the airport taxi firm and within 2 hours our taxi driver found the purse, kept it secure overnight and then hand delivered to me the next morning. I cannot thank everyone involved enough. The people in Puerto Del Carmen are the best, they are so friendly, loyal, trustworthy and go out of their way to make sure you have a very enjoyable holiday and this is why we have returned twice a year for the past 9 years. Highly recommended places to eat are American Indian Cafe for Breakfasts, Slowboat 3 for chinese, Cantina Tex Mex. For evening entertainment Rocas Blancas which does lovely food and the best coffee in Puerto Del Carmen.

Carol & Keith Pryke Essex England

Room Tip: Rooms with Pool View range from 119 - 135
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cppryke58

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and myself have been to Puerto Del Carmen many times with our families and on our own. We have stayed in several self catering places including The Elena, Oasis San Antonio and The Fayna but they were booked up when we wanted to go (February 2013) so we decided on La Penita and we were not disappointed. It was very clean although basic as is the norm we've found for self catering. The pool is lovely but not very warm to swim in although the weather wasn't the best. It rained and was quite stormy on several days but because of it's location we were able to walk onto the strip and to the bars and restaurants in the area. I look on Tripadvisor each time I plan a holiday but never went into the ratings for restaurants until this time and was so glad I did. We went to the Great Wall (lovely Chinese) and Bollywood (very good Indian) The staff were always pleasant and helpful when we asked for the channels to be put back on the TV as the storm had played havoc with the satellite. We would return to these apartments again as they had everything we wanted for a weeks stay self catering.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Peter M
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Apartments very clean and spacious,good position,central but quiet.Wifi was good and free,ask reception for password and they give a different password for each room,ours worked well inside the apartment and on our terrace.4 or 5 English tv channels.Reception staff pleasant,man in pool bar charged more for breakfast than was advertised on board in reception.Pool area nice but very cold.Would go back to these apartments.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Hi we stayed here the end of February till early march and loved it bang in the middle with everything on your doorstep .There is a good friendly Chinese 10 yards from reception with 4 supermarkets all within 200 yards of the apartments as well as a chemist as soon as you walk onto the strip. We stayed in 113 and a great view of the sea which also was a sun trap late into the evening looking down onto the pool .Great value for money and we hope to return again later in the year and would like to thank la penita for my birthday chocolates as well . One last mention to Thomas cook who put us up for an extra night after our flight was cancelled due to a mechanical problem in a 4 star hotel in costa teguise we couldn't argue as we were well fed and watered and felt sorry for the rep who put up with a lot of unnecessary abusive ! !

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Gall40
Reviewed March 11, 2013

In no particular order here are some of my observations that haven't been mentioned in previous reviews:

CORKSCREW
It's worth taking or buying a decent corkscrew as the one provided requires brute strength especially with plastic corks. I nearly dislocated my shoulder getting one out.

TEA TOWEL
You're provided with one but it's worthwhile taking an additional one.

RESERVING SUNBEDS
There are plenty of beds but people DO reserve them, possibly even the night before as there were towels in plastic bags tied to sunbeds by the pool. This is very, very selfish. In our second week you had to be out early to get a sunbed at all.

WI-FI
I found the best place to get Wi-Fi was at the top of the steps at reception or beside the kiddies' pool. Otherwise its 1.20 euros for half an hour using the computers in reception.

THOMAS COOK REP
We never saw her. Twice we waited for her at reception at the allotted time and she didn't turn up.

EATING OUT
Best restaurants for well cooked food were Fazz's Bengali Indian cuisine located across the road and to the left of the apartments. Also the Italian Antica Trattoria di Perona. Service was slow but the food was excellent. Always busy, best to book.

LAUNDRY
For 4.50 Euros reception will give you some washing powder and a token for the machine. A coloured wash takes about half an hour.

TOWELS
These are lovely and soft and changed most days but they didn't seem to dry you very well. If space allows take one of your own.

MILK
Don't bother buying fresh milk. It goes off much quicker than at home. The UHT milk didn't taste that bad really.

HAIRDRYER
The hairdryer in the bathroom blasts your hair to kingdom come. After a while it got too hot to hold. If, like me, your hair tends to frizz take some sort of serum or spray with you. I had to use 4 times as much anti-frizz serum as I would ever use at home and most days at home I don't even need it. There's a plug point in the bathroom if you want to take your own hairdryer, etc.

MATTRESS PROTECTORS
If you get a bit hot sleeping on these, remove them. I did and slept much better.

INSECT BITES
I've never been bothered much in any of the Canaries with insect bites but I had about 12 down one arm this time and a few on my ankles. I'm wondering is some sort of creepy crawlies were getting in the window at night, Annoying but didn't ruin my holiday.

RESORT IN GENERAL

The old town seems to have got a bit scruffier lately. The harbour sported a new walkway/boardwalk that wasn't there before.

Round about the La Penita area things seem to have improved a bit. The place is a bit more upmarket (for Lanzarote standards anyway). New buildings seem to have gone up with slightly better shops, the pavement areas at some parts have been landscaped and it's generally been a bit 'de-blackpoolified' (apologies to the people of Blackpool).

Room Tip: There are 3 floors. The ground floors have a small patio and little privacy. The rooms on the seco...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Fiona D
Reviewed March 10, 2013

la penita excellent,would recommend everywhere spotless.All the staff were FANTASTIC.2 mins from the strip but no noise.Been to puerto del carmen many times(we just love the place and the people).Most of the restaurants are very good,a special mention to one just outside rear entrance,which on the strip Las Vega's.Excellent food and service
'

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pabar48
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We are here for our wedding anniversary and have not been disappointed with La Penita , the apartments and grounds are spotless and well maintained, the kitchen has everything you need, and there is even a free standing fan ( free).we were supplied with washing up liquid ,tea towels and dish clothes..the cleaners do a really good job...staff are friendly and helpful...If I had a moan it would be my fellow Brits out at the crack of dawn laying claim to sun beds ...even tho it states quite clearly sun beds CAN'T be reserved..All in all a super place to base yourself for central location, I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple