“Just Back” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Penita Apartments

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
La Penita Apartments
Ranked #7 of 94 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Castleford, United Kingdom
“Just Back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Just returned from La Penita and I have to say really nice place. The apartments are ideally located towards one end of the main strip but within easy reach of an wide selection of bars,restaurants & supermarkets. The apartments themselves are extremley clean,very spacious and well equipped.
However some interesting points about the 'sunbeds' though - my girlfriend and I stayed at the La Penita for 9 nights. In the early morning an large number of the sunbeds had already been reserved when we went by the poolside. I would add that there were sunbeds left but these tended to be ones in the shade in not so good locations and without brollies. Alot of the sunbeds that had been reserved all day were only utilised for a couple of hours. In the end I started to do the same and get up early (8.00 am) to reserve a 'good' sunbed spot as I particallary wanted a brolly (I got burnt the first day as the wind is very deceiving along with the sun and scorched my face) Difficult to say if the sunbeds are reserved by long staying guests? The reservation of sunbeds does need some stringent policing by the hotel management to improve matters
That said the overall experince of the establishment was very good and we would recommend

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DBKHCastleford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Polish first
North Shields, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel 6 times now over many years of visiting Lanzarote. The apartments are centrally located, clean and friendly staff. We book the apartments ourselves and pay on departure after paying a deposit. To our suprise this year we had BBC and ITV as well as Channels 4 and 5, Disney Channel and a movie channel. You are supplied with cleaning materials for dishes so no need to worry about buying things like that once you get there. In the bathroom a hairdryer is provided. The location is ideal, just a short stroll to shops, bars, restaurant and beach. To the right you can head into the old town and to the left you can walk into Los Pocillos.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank alice1963
weston super mare
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

Our last two vists to lanzarote have been a/c hotels in Playa Blanca because the deals on offer were to good to turn down,but this year we decided to go back to PDC as we prefer it to player blanca.we chose la penita because of its location just a few steps off of the sea front,some of the hotels can be up quite steep hills.when we booked we asked for high room with a sunny balcony and when we booked in i asked if our request was possible and we were told yes and were shown to room 204, being shown to the apartment was a nice touch as in the past we have spent time at other complexes dragging heavy cases around in the dark looking for our apartment.we only had the sun till early afternoon on the balcony and as quite a few other apartments seemed empty we could have asked to move but as it was only a minor set back we didnt bother. the room it self had every electrical appliance you would need for a complete s/c catering holiday and a free tv with a good selection of English channels.as we prefer to eat out there is plenty of bars and resturants to choose from on the sea front to suit every taste and pocket.the peking duck just afew yards out side the reception is excellent and we had a table by a large open window which on a warm early evening was lovely.as we use were we are staying mainly as a base to get out and about we didnt use the poolbar so cant comment but it didnt seem to be very busy.as we walked in and out their all ways seemed to be sun beds vacant ,so lying in the sun if thats what you liked wouldnt have been a problem.even as la penita is just a short distance from the seafront we were never kept awake by any noise and both slept well.over all we had a nice holiday at la penita and would we go again,yes

Room Tip: a high room with a sea view look to be the best to have.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank barryandmarilyn
falkirk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

Just back from a week at La penita, apartments they were clean and spacious and well appointed though one wee gripe was the sofa bed had seen better days and was not the most comfy
Pool bar serves a pint of Tropical for €2 and does really good tasty snacks all freshly prepared by Toni or Carlos
We tried somewhere different to eat every night and worth a mention was La Ola,Poppadum and the Italian just along the road great cocktails at the Hawaii cocktail bar opposite they even put a sparkler in my husbands pint,
Tour to Teguise market only €4 with last minute travel great Tapas bar there can't remember the name but it has a secret garden and cinema.
So many places still to try so will have to go back soon I am missing Sangria at the wee beach bar across the road and down the stairs.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Falkirkgirl25
Rothwell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

What can I say that hasn’t been said? This place really rocks. Firstly, I want to defend and comment, (In my view) on some negative comments that have recently been made. I must say everyone has the right to their opinion. However based on my own experience, I have the right to disagree with some previous guest’s comments. I cannot understand the comments about the sun beds and obnoxious guests, as I was present at the same time as this guest (last week in Feb returned 12th March), and even when I was late getting up, I still managed to find a couple of sun beds right by the pool at 11am! Although, I would still agree that a lot of beds were un-used and had towels on them. But is that not a problem everywhere? Please don’t let this put you off, as there really is NOT a shortage of sun beds. He/she is not wrong, but it is really not worth worrying about it too much. I will disagree with his/her comments on the long term and resident elderly guests and say I found them to be very friendly and not at all obnoxious. I guess we both looked at this matter in a different way. As for another guest’s complaint about the ‘noise’, I would take that with a pinch of salt, as I found the apartments ever so quite and that was remarkable as we had the California Bar down below us (Room 204)! By the way, I would not recommend that you use the California Bar, as from my bad experience we found it was expensive and not very clean. 2 X milkshakes @ EUR 7.50 – Ouch! You can tell I’m not a morning person but I did sleep very well. The apartment was very quiet both by day and by night. Perhaps this guest should have asked for another room whilst they were there, as it is too late to help them now. I really do know that the staff would have helped them as I had a slight problem and found that the Manager and Reception staff sorted these minor issues out immediately. The only thing that hasn’t been said enough is that the pool bar has the most delicious well presented food that we have tasted. I regret not going there more often. The price, taste, quality, presentation and fair portions are better than any on the strip. The two men who take turns to manage and look after the pool bar, are so nice and their customer service is first class. Actually, I commend all of the staff and Management @ La Penita - Well done and thank you for a fantastic holiday. I’ll be back as soon as I can afford to be there again.

Apart from the food at the pool bar in La Penita apartments I recommend Jin Long Chinese buffet @ EUR 6.95 (Downstairs on the strip, just turn right and a couple shops/restaurants away). Although this is a buffet, the food is so fresh, with a just cooked taste and again the service is both professional and friendly.

Room Tip: Reception staff will try to accommodate requests.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Cheriebabe
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

La Penita, excellent 2* accommodation, located centrally on the ‘strip’ in Puerto del Carmen. Set just back off the strip behind the Peking Duck Chinese restaurant.
Check-in was swift. The reception staff are professional, friendly and helpful and all had a very good command of the English language. In fact all of the staff at La Penita are polite and always ready to greet you with a smile and hola.

We were pointed in the exact direction of where we would find our apartment. This, as we requested had all day sun in block 2 overlooking the pool. The apartment itself was very clean and spacious with a wonderful sea view. Equipment provided in the apartment consisted of fridge with a small freezer compartment at the top, kettle, coffee maker, toaster and a microwave. There were also two ceramic rings on the hob. There was also ample crockery, cutlery and pans to self cater if you so wished. A tea towel, a dish, sponge/scrubber plus washing up liquid were also provided. All nice touches that put La Penita a cut above other similar rated accommodation in the resort that we have stayed at.
The apartments were serviced every day but Sunday and Wednesday and kept clean to a high standard. Towels, tea towel and bed linen were changed on a regular basis during our ten day stay from 27th Feb. to 8th March. We also found the beds very comfortable.
We were very fortunate to get ten days of wall to wall sunshine, but do take some warm clothes (fleece or light coat) for use on an evening, as when the sun goes down at this time of year it can feel very cool.

The pool is a very good sized pool for doing some serious swimming if you fancy some exercise to burn of those calories. We used it most days, even my wife. Which is most unusual at this time of year as the pools are usually too cold for her? I mention this in response to other complaints of the pool being too cold. I have swum in much colder pools in Lanzarote during the winter months!

We never ate in the pool bar but plenty of people did appear to, or carry meals on a tray back to their apartment. We did though sample the ‘Tropical’ lager at €2 for a large glass, which was very nice. I think the only thing that lets it down is the fact that at this time of year it closed at 7.00pm.

There are though ample bars and restaurants in very close proximity. We found a very good bar that we used as our ‘local’, they also serve excellent pub food. It is called ‘Friends Bar’. Go left on the ‘strip’ from reception until you come to the ‘Dubliner’, it is situated behind there in a small square with a few other bars etc. Blink and you will miss it…

Room Tip: Block 2 have all day sun.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Shellvictoo
weston-s-mare
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

Good holiday.great location.the rooms was one of the biggest we have been in.nice weather.if you had any problems the reception was quick to try and sort them out I.e the rep did not put up collection time to return so the reception phoned Thomas cook to find out time because the Thomas cook rep was never about the times he was meant to be.if you go with Thomas cook don't rely on the rep he is rubbish.overall the apts was very good definitely would go back and we are in November only slight minus point is the pool is quite cold but it dont spoil your holiday.

• Stayed March 2012