“Splendid”

Ranked #20 of 92 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Splendid”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stayed at this large hotel for three weeks in January. We were in the annexe, nice room with sea view, yes it's a bit of a walk to the main restaurant area but hey a bit of exercise killed no one! We found the food to be varied, fresh and not at all boring and bland as some have said. Every staff member was courteous and friendly, if you had to award people for their efforts, the animation team alone would have gold medals every day, their dedication is remarkable, it's refreshing to see people actually enjoying their work so much. We did't meet one grumpy staff member at all. The pool in the annexe area is heated and has a swim up bar, this area is much quieter and there isn't so much of the towels on the sun beds at dawn here. This was our first time at an all inclusive hotel so I can't really compare but speaking to other holiday makers here, the Riu group who own this place have a pretty high standard and I tend to agree. I would definitely return here for the standard of customer service and cleanliness alone, yes some parts are a bit tired but is that really worth complaining about?

Room Tip: The annexe for peace and quiet, and if you're unhappy with your room the reception staff will gl...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gary L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,020)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Arrived for a 7-day stay on 2nd January. Stayed in the annexe building which is a good walk to the main hotel but was very peaceful and relaxing which is just what we required.

The selection of food was amazing with choices to suit everyone. The staff in all restaurants were lovely and helpful and it was good to see a friendly welcoming face at mealtimes.

Room was cleaned everyday and all staff from the top down were approachable and we felt welcomed from the moment we arrived until the moment we left.

The restriction of wi-fi to the main reception and costs 1 euro per 30mins is a bit disappointing and also no air-conditioning in our room 4440. We did report to both reception and our Thomson rep but we are still waiting on a resolve.

Enjoyed our stay and would return to this hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leona336
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We spent 7 day in this hotel in all inclusive

Here is what we liked about this hotel:
- Severals cats in the hotel bulding are well kept by the hotel with food and everything
- The hotel is clean whether in the room
- 3 swimming pools
- lots of activities (football, shoot, beachvolley...)
- Good new year party with very good food
- very near to the beach (1 path to cross)
- Disco in the hotel prety cool
- All the staff are very friendly (also the directors that come to say Hello sometimes)

Here is what we disliked:
- The shower is not practicale (after shower is flood guaranteed)
- Sound damping ( you can know the life of your neighbor)
- The TV is very small
- The fitness room is ridiculus
- The food is average
- Too many old people (don't go there if you are young and want partying)

3 Thank Julien2424
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The first thing that was apparent when we arrived was the excellent staff. We got our bags taken straight from our taxi to the room, the check-in desk was really friendly, got pointed in the right direction towards the room after looking a bit lost by a member of the entertainment team. I'll come back to them later.

The ground of the hotel are absolutely beautiful, perfectly kept green grass, white buildings, and flowers. The whole place was just stunning. Then we got to the room. The cushions, beds, chairs were all completely worn out. The room (68) certainly needed refurbishing.

Meals at the hotel are brilliant. Carvery, freshly grilled meat and fish, plentiful vegetables, even the dreaded chicken nuggets and chips if you really can't live without them. The waiters and cooks every meal were very friendly, and the food was very good. Tables were though, a bit worn out.

Then the entertainment. I'll get the bad out of the way first. The entertainment theatre is incredibly worn out. It's in serious need of a complete new set of chairs. The entertainment team were brilliant though. Especially enjoyed the crazy show. 50 silent comedy acts, to 50 songs, in 50 minutes. I think everyone in the room was in hysterics. Sorry if I've spelt the names wrong, but Aneé, Martin, and Sasa were real credits to the hotel, just fantastic.

Oh, and the all important other bits. The pool are good. 1 in the main side and the one in the palace side are heated. One in the main side isn't. The swim up bar on the palace side is open, if you sit on a stool someone will come over. All other beer wine and soft drinks in the resort are self service, and there's another manned bar by the main entertainment theatre. The location is brilliant, a leisurely 20 minutes to the centre of town (Peurto Del Carmen), and town is perfectly nice enough.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank omearatho
west yorkshire
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Just got back from a week stay at the Riu (29th dec - 5th Jan.) Overall, the hotel is great place to stay. Location is in easy walking distance of bars and shops from leaving out of the back gate of the complex.

Food in the hotel is okay - there is a lot of variety available for all tastes and backgrounds. I read before for heading out to hotel that it is abit repetative. From first hand experience, I can relate to this and I think if we were staying longer than a week it could become quite dull. Make sure you book into the resturantes. We went to both the Mexican and Asian. I particulary enjoyed the Asain. Although, we were all inclusive we like to experience what food and resturantes are like in resort. If you are the same and love a good Indian or want to go out for a special occasion... Head to Fazz's in central Puerto Del Carmen, amazing service and top quality cusine. Soo good we actually dined there twice in our stay. Beach front location. A hidden gem. Worth a look at.

Cleaniness

The cleaniness of the hotel is faultless. Rooms spotless, clean linen each day. Always greeted with a smile and a hello. The gardens are always being maintaned. Pools always clean. Literally 5star on cleaniness.

After reading reviews when we booked about the annex and the short bridge walk joining the two parts together. We decided to email the hotel directly to request a room in the main complex. We also had little cheek and requested a pool view and sea view. All of requested was met. Great service. So it is worth alittle cheeky email. I defiantly wouldn't want a room over the bridge. Too much of a trek for me ha.

Entertainment

Entertainmentttttttttt! Well yeh its good funny at times. Other guests seem to really enjoy it. It wasn't necessarily our choice prefered choice but I don't think it was suited to our age range so we would head out.

Overall, great stay definitely recommend. May return in the future but I like to experience different places.

Room Tip: 352 is the room to be!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank iheartsun_9
Ruislip, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is a very nice Hotel but could be much improved.
We went to this hotel as an ALL INCLUSIVE package with First choice.
On arrival at the hotel on Christmas day we were checked in fairly quickly and then asked if we wished to have dinner in the evening? I replied yes that we would require dinner to which he said that I would have to speak to the restaurant Manager to book it.
I told the desk clerk that we were AI customers and therefore we should have been automatically registered for dinner.
He said that he could not book me in and that I would have to do it myself.
I went to the restaurant and spoke with a waitress who assured me that the Manager is dealing with someone but would come to me shortly.
After we had our lunch I asked the same waitress of the whereabouts of the Manager and she came back and said that he is now on his lunch break and therefore I would have to come back at 5pm to make a booking ( a booking for a meal that is already paid for by being AI).
I returned at 5pm to find the restaurant locked and nobody available to speak to, I waited until 6pm when I was finally able to speak to a waiter who informed me that there will be no problem BUT that we would have to eat outside on the terrace and that would be for the 8.30pm sitting.

My wife and I went to dinner and arrive at the restaurant at 8.25 and was asked by a waiter ' where is your ticket'?
I asked 'what ticket'? and he said that I would need to have a ticket to enter for dinner!
I told him that we had just spent almost £2,000p on this holiday and a day and a half getting there and now we are going in for dinner whether you like it or not and without a ticket and would like a table now.
The waiter called a supervisor waiter and they led us to a table.
Why did we have to go through so much hassle to get dinner that we had already paid for 6 months previously?
The Christmas Gala dinner was very good with a huge selection of food but after that the quality of the food went down hill rapidly with very poor quality meat and fish, tough chewy chicken breast slices, tough pork chops and absolutely terrible burgers.
The breakfast was very bad as well with bacon so thin that must have been sliced with a razor blade and a mirror, and cheap and nasty sausages, you have to wait for fried eggs as the staff are very showy and make you wait whilst they do other things.

This being said, there is a wide choice of cold meats and cheeses for those who prefer the continental breakfast, lots of yoghurt and fruit and bread and at lunchtime and dinner there were loads of salads etc but based on the quality of the food and the price we paid for this hotel I would not return here again.

The only bar was set on the terrace which was nice during the day and early evening but got quite cold later on and despite there being gas heaters on the terrace there were not sufficient numbers of them for all the people that were trying to huddle around them so you were forced by the cool temperature to use the only indoor lounge where the animation team put on a fairly good show although it was all mime, they did work very hard.
On one evening there was a duo on stage with a man playing keyboards and singing badly and a really tall woman who could neither sing nor dance. It was absolutely awful.
I believe that this hotel needs a new entertainments manager to freshen this place up.
I know that it was December when we went and you can expect it to be a bit cool in the evening but as this place only had an open fronted terrace with a bar, and an entertainments lounge with no bar and poor entertainment it was not the place for me.
There is a late night disco on site if this is your cup of tea and the hotel staff are all very nice but I would only give this hotel 3* based on my experience.
Our room was very nice with a free safe but there was no Wi-Fi except for in the lobby area which you have to pay I think was 1euro for 30 minutes.
The TV in our room was faulty as I beleive the tube was knackered as the picture was sort of blue and green (it was an old style Tv set), but the room was kept very clean and comfortable although tea making facility would have been nice if not standard.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annexe are too far away from the main hotel and restaurant so ask for the main area loo...
1 Thank Denis K
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2014

A lovely all inclusive experience that was worth every penny. We went for New Year on 28th Dec 2013. The reception staff were lovely, helpful and polite. Food was gorgeous and such a variety. Entertainment and staff were funny and the New Years Eve Party and Gala dinner were lovely.

Room Tip: Don't get the Annex its a long walk.
1 Thank aspmiket
#1 of 92 in Puerto Del Carmen
Occidental Lanzarote Playa
Occidental Lanzarote Playa
#7 of 38 in Costa Teguise

Been to ClubHotel Riu Paraiso Lanzarote Resort? Share your experiences!