ClubHotel Riu Paraiso Lanzarote Resort
Ranked #18 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Just got back from a week stay at the Riu (29th dec - 5th Jan.) Overall, the hotel is great place to stay. Location is in easy walking distance of bars and shops from leaving out of the back gate of the complex.

Food in the hotel is okay - there is a lot of variety available for all tastes and backgrounds. I read before for heading out to hotel that it is abit repetative. From first hand experience, I can relate to this and I think if we were staying longer than a week it could become quite dull. Make sure you book into the resturantes. We went to both the Mexican and Asian. I particulary enjoyed the Asain. Although, we were all inclusive we like to experience what food and resturantes are like in resort. If you are the same and love a good Indian or want to go out for a special occasion... Head to Fazz's in central Puerto Del Carmen, amazing service and top quality cusine. Soo good we actually dined there twice in our stay. Beach front location. A hidden gem. Worth a look at.

Cleaniness

The cleaniness of the hotel is faultless. Rooms spotless, clean linen each day. Always greeted with a smile and a hello. The gardens are always being maintaned. Pools always clean. Literally 5star on cleaniness.

After reading reviews when we booked about the annex and the short bridge walk joining the two parts together. We decided to email the hotel directly to request a room in the main complex. We also had little cheek and requested a pool view and sea view. All of requested was met. Great service. So it is worth alittle cheeky email. I defiantly wouldn't want a room over the bridge. Too much of a trek for me ha.

Entertainment

Entertainmentttttttttt! Well yeh its good funny at times. Other guests seem to really enjoy it. It wasn't necessarily our choice prefered choice but I don't think it was suited to our age range so we would head out.

Overall, great stay definitely recommend. May return in the future but I like to experience different places.

Room Tip: 352 is the room to be!!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank iheartsun_9

Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is a very nice Hotel but could be much improved.
We went to this hotel as an ALL INCLUSIVE package with First choice.
On arrival at the hotel on Christmas day we were checked in fairly quickly and then asked if we wished to have dinner in the evening? I replied yes that we would require dinner to which he said that I would have to speak to the restaurant Manager to book it.
I told the desk clerk that we were AI customers and therefore we should have been automatically registered for dinner.
He said that he could not book me in and that I would have to do it myself.
I went to the restaurant and spoke with a waitress who assured me that the Manager is dealing with someone but would come to me shortly.
After we had our lunch I asked the same waitress of the whereabouts of the Manager and she came back and said that he is now on his lunch break and therefore I would have to come back at 5pm to make a booking ( a booking for a meal that is already paid for by being AI).
I returned at 5pm to find the restaurant locked and nobody available to speak to, I waited until 6pm when I was finally able to speak to a waiter who informed me that there will be no problem BUT that we would have to eat outside on the terrace and that would be for the 8.30pm sitting.

My wife and I went to dinner and arrive at the restaurant at 8.25 and was asked by a waiter ' where is your ticket'?
I asked 'what ticket'? and he said that I would need to have a ticket to enter for dinner!
I told him that we had just spent almost £2,000p on this holiday and a day and a half getting there and now we are going in for dinner whether you like it or not and without a ticket and would like a table now.
The waiter called a supervisor waiter and they led us to a table.
Why did we have to go through so much hassle to get dinner that we had already paid for 6 months previously?
The Christmas Gala dinner was very good with a huge selection of food but after that the quality of the food went down hill rapidly with very poor quality meat and fish, tough chewy chicken breast slices, tough pork chops and absolutely terrible burgers.
The breakfast was very bad as well with bacon so thin that must have been sliced with a razor blade and a mirror, and cheap and nasty sausages, you have to wait for fried eggs as the staff are very showy and make you wait whilst they do other things.

This being said, there is a wide choice of cold meats and cheeses for those who prefer the continental breakfast, lots of yoghurt and fruit and bread and at lunchtime and dinner there were loads of salads etc but based on the quality of the food and the price we paid for this hotel I would not return here again.

The only bar was set on the terrace which was nice during the day and early evening but got quite cold later on and despite there being gas heaters on the terrace there were not sufficient numbers of them for all the people that were trying to huddle around them so you were forced by the cool temperature to use the only indoor lounge where the animation team put on a fairly good show although it was all mime, they did work very hard.
On one evening there was a duo on stage with a man playing keyboards and singing badly and a really tall woman who could neither sing nor dance. It was absolutely awful.
I believe that this hotel needs a new entertainments manager to freshen this place up.
I know that it was December when we went and you can expect it to be a bit cool in the evening but as this place only had an open fronted terrace with a bar, and an entertainments lounge with no bar and poor entertainment it was not the place for me.
There is a late night disco on site if this is your cup of tea and the hotel staff are all very nice but I would only give this hotel 3* based on my experience.
Our room was very nice with a free safe but there was no Wi-Fi except for in the lobby area which you have to pay I think was 1euro for 30 minutes.
The TV in our room was faulty as I beleive the tube was knackered as the picture was sort of blue and green (it was an old style Tv set), but the room was kept very clean and comfortable although tea making facility would have been nice if not standard.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annexe are too far away from the main hotel and restaurant so ask for the main area loo...
1  Thank Denis K
Reviewed January 8, 2014

A lovely all inclusive experience that was worth every penny. We went for New Year on 28th Dec 2013. The reception staff were lovely, helpful and polite. Food was gorgeous and such a variety. Entertainment and staff were funny and the New Years Eve Party and Gala dinner were lovely.

Room Tip: Don't get the Annex its a long walk.
1  Thank aspmiket
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed at the Riu hotel from 19 Dec 13 - 2 Jan 14. Overall quite a good hotel, staff from management, reception, waiters, bar staff, chamber maids very friendly and helpful. Entertainment staff in the evenings talented amateurs but very funny and give 110% especially the RiuLand club for the children. Those people who give negative reviews of the entertainment should try and do it themselves. The pittance the entertainment staff earn and the long hours they put in during the day and always funny and chatty. New Years eve the worked from early morning helping the staff to set up the decorations right though to the early hours of New Years day still entertaining the guests. It is so very easy to criticize other people when you are sitting in a chair with a drink in your hand.
The bedrooms were small and basic with fridge, safe, television and telephone , cleaned every day with a change of clean sheets on request. Usual Riu bathroom towels small and thin.
The Gala dinners on Christmas day and New Years eve were very good indeed and for breakfast New Years day I had salmon, caviar and scrambled eggs all washed down with bucks fizz. The remaining time during the holidays all the meals were buffet, good selection of hot and cold for breakfast and evening dinner a more limited selection for lunch.
Asian restaurant best of the alternative bookable restaurants. Long trouser for men in the evening although I am not quite sure if track suit bottoms should apply and in this land of equal opportunity some of the women's dress shorts should have been banned.
The hotel itself good overall but during the winter season there should be an inside bar and lounge area for guests, sitting in the patio areas with heaters and smoke drifting from the outside smokers area and having to wear coats is not my idea of fun.
Room tips - we were originally allocated room 228 in main building no sun at all. Temperature never above 14 c and had to hire heater, eventually we was moved to room 313 sun all day and very warm room. If you are going on winter sun holidays try and get odd number rooms in main building sun all day.
If I ever visited this hotel again I would choose the summer months although the Gala dinners were excellent.

Room Tip: Odd numbers rooms main building
3  Thank Roy G
Reviewed January 4, 2014

What a lovely holiday we had thanks to the friendly staff
Good points
Reception staff were excellent
Spacious rooms
Clean rooms
Room service every day
Food and drink are what you expect from all inclusive, never had a bad meal, everything that should have been hot, was. Always plenty of room in the main restaurant. No queues
Choice of 3 restaurants Oasis being the main one, Mexican and Asian
No Music around the pool areas except when announcing animation
Reasonable location 5 minutes walk each way to the shops
Less than 2 minutes walk to the beach
We asked for a room change for one in the sun and it was done within 2 days
Choice of pools, 2 heated,(that was a must)
Pool towels provided
Advice
Email the hotel and ask for a room in the main block where the reception is, overlooking the pool the side in the sun on the 3rd floor , that’s the top floor so you can see the pool and sea, we did and it was granted however we forgot the sun bit!
The other rooms are in the annex areas and it’s a decent walk to the restaurant and bars.
Place towels on the sun beds before 8.30 am or you will struggle to get one in the sun, however there’s hundreds of them.
Book the Mexican and Asian in advance (still all inclusive)
Not so good
The nightly entertainment, they had entertainment every night but was by the animation team, as good as they were and they did try, we thought it was poor they had a theme every night , dressed up in fancy clothes and mimed all night, not what we expected from a Platinum hotel, we did have one professional act in 10 days.
Bad things
Had to come home!!

Room Tip: email them as we did and we asked for a room in the main block that has the reception overlooking th...
4  Thank eil463
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We travelled 19th - 29th December as an adult only group with family and friends. The rooms were outdated, and the hotel somewhat child orientated. Firstly, we requested our room specifically out of the main hotel as we read reviews warning about the noise in the busier areas. There was a walk to the room from the reception which took around 5 mins, the bridge was risky for heels and so we found a path through the gardens.
The food was good if not a bit recycled, the main restaurant (Oasis) was a bit like eating in the canteen so we ate in the Asian restaurant or in Yaiza on mexican night (Canarian night was main food but with less range) the smaller restaurants were quieter.
Entertainment wise, daytime activities were fine (rifle shooting, darts, bingo and kids club etc) but evening was just poor. There were some Butlin-esc acts in the theatre which was too small to accommodate a fraction of the guests. There was also 'Club Volcano' a 'club' maximum capacity of 120 people which opened at 11pm and resembled an 80s nightclub. The drinks were readily available with a large range but clearly watered down and the cava (11%) was only available at the bar resulting in us leaving meals to get 5 glasses for the table (not available in bottles). There was no piano on site nor anything else to relax to in an adult orientated environment we spent evenings in the town after the 4th day as we found that everybody was either milling around bored or just heading back to their room due to lack of options.
As a warning, the christmas celebrations weren't anything special, however, the spread on the buffet was clearly better quality food and truly delicious. As most of what I have written has been negative I'd just like to add the staff were friendly and very helpful, the cleaning frequent and the proximity to the beach brilliant (despite our room overlooking the road between the beach and the hotel).
None of us will be returning however, our opinion of the hotel improved from initial impressions due to the incredibly friendly staff.

Room Tip: We chose the far end of the annex, quieter than the main hotel. Rooms were outdated, 5 mins away b...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Natasha-abc
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have never thought of myself as particularly easily pleased where hotel accommodation is concerned and I always research thoroughly before I make my choice to avoid disappointment, but after reading some of the negative reviews on here I think maybe I'm more easygoing than I thought! I loved this hotel and any negative things about it were far outweighed by the positive in my opinion! Ok it's not 100% perfect but I would definately hope to return and would not heisitate to recommend it to anyone. I'll try not to repeat what other reviewers have said as I write this.
Yes it is a large complex but anyone who has travelled to the Caribbean or even Egypt and know the size of the complexes there will not be too fazed by this one, once you get your bearings it isn't difficult to find your way around. We had a family room in the middle of both sides of the hotel so location for either pool area was pretty good. The room itself was quite large, lovely bathroom, and very clean if not particularly luxurious. Other rooms I have seen on the website looked far nicer but we were hardly in the room so it did for us. I would have preferred two room keys which did not seem to be possible, with a teenager who sleeps till late and doesn't particularly like to leave the hotel it would have been far easier had we been able to give him his own key so we could all come and go as we wished. The food was beautiful, always hot, always varied (tho I agree about the sameness of the pool bar food as previously mentioned..but it was fine for a week) and although the restaurant was very busy at times we never had a problem getting a table and the staff cleared tables quickly and efficiently with a friendly attitude. The all inc alcohol was very good, I loved the champagne on offer round the clock almost! The entertainment was actually very good in the main, I normally hate animation team based entertainment but they really were very funny and worked so hard, we enjoyed it most nights. I do think it would be better if there was another lounge/bar area inside where you could sit on an evening as in the winter, despite the patio heaters, it is cold to sit outside on the terrace area. And if the entertainment really isn't your thing, with that being the only indoor area to sit you're a little bit stuck with watching it just to stay warm. I liked the location of the hotel as well, a nice walk into town or to have a lovely stroll along the beach just across the road from the hotel. I also approved of the locked back gate policy with your own key, definately made the complex feel very safe..as long as guests locked it behind them and didn't just leave it swinging open!
As for Christmas itself, we have spent the holidays in Egypt for the last few years and while we have always enjoyed it I have to say it was far better in this hotel. It was decorated beautifully throughout and with the hard work of the animation team, constantly dressing up in Christmas outfits, they really did manage to pull off a lovely festive atmosphere. They made it so special for the little ones with a visit from Santa on Xmas Eve arriving on a camel (no I hadn't had too much champagne, he really did!) and building up the excitement, I don't know who got carried away the most, kids or adults! And the presents given to the children were really good, not tat and the gala dinner on Christmas day was superb.
We were also very lucky with the weather, apart from the first couple of days when the breeze could be quite cool if the sun went in, it was glorious.
I would have no hesitation in returning to this hotel, indeed the flights from our local airport are actually on Christmas Day itself this year, unfortunate, but I think worth the trip further afield to a different airport offering a better day to fly in order to experience it all again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
#19 of 91 in Puerto Del Carmen
VIK Hotel San Antonio
VIK Hotel San Antonio
#26 of 91 in Puerto Del Carmen

Been to ClubHotel Riu Paraiso Lanzarote Resort? Share your experiences!