“Enjoyable Stay”

Ranked #20 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable Stay”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Super hotel, spotlessly clean, room was cleaned daily and new towels provided daily. Plenty of sun loungers available around the swim up to bar pool throughout our stay, with clean pool side towels supplied daily at no extra cost. Second half of our stay was school half term, so an influx of kids surrounded the swim up to bar which wound have worked better as an adults only area in my opinion, otherwise many an hours was spent drinking cocktails in the pool. The cocktail menu was a little limited if anything, but the food choices and option to dine in the Asian, Mexican & Canarian was super. (TIP: Book these additional restaurants at reception as earlier in your stay to avoid disappointment).

Shame the beach across the way was unused and deserted due to no sunbeds (mayor didn't pay his taxes) because advertised as 50m to nearest beach was a plus when we booked, nonetheless couldn't fault the hotel itself and its staff were always in plenty / go out your way to help. The entertainment was what you would typically expect for a multi-lingual resort, with lots of miming, with late night karaoke. We didn't visit the on-site night club however was advised to be aware of the spirit measures if you didn't want to lose the following day! We also didn’t use the WIFI which was available in reception area because it worked out to be rather expensive.

Overall well worth the 4 star rating, though like any all-inclusive towards the end of the week the buffet style eating was becoming a little repetitive. Minor Warning: although it advertises tea/coffee facilities in the rooms, this is not the case. You can rent a kettle at 8euro a week with 10euro deposit, however this is simply the kettle only. Otherwise we faced no other extra costs.

Location wise, this could be a lot better, as it was a good half hours down the front strip to the best restaurants/bars/shops. 5 Euro in a taxi nevertheless took you straight to old town & the harbour.

TIPS: E-mail the hotel in advance to ask for extra pillars and mattress to be available in your room upon arrival (the e-mail address can be found on rui.com website). We took that tip from a previous trip advisor review and these extras added great value and aided much good night’s sleep.

Room Tip: TIPS: E-mail the hotel in advance with any requests (the e-mail address can be found on rui.com webs...
3 Thank Meeshleah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,039)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed here for one week in May with my partner. It was our first stay at this hotel, our second holiday in Lanzarote and our first time all inclusive.

CHECK-IN/OUT
We arrived about 20:30 and reception staff advised us to get something to eat in the buffet restaurant and she would check us in.
Our cases were left in the middle of the lobby, which I didn't like as anyone could have access to it. When we returned we had not been checked in as expected and our cases were still sitting in the lobby.
Check-in took 5 minutes or so and the receptionist was pleasant and helpful giving us hotel information.
Our room was across the bridge in the quieter part of the hotel which we had difficulty finding as room signs weren't the best.
Check out was very quick, no queue at 11am which was the deadline. There is a separate desk to check out.
Our cases were stored in a room within the lobby until our transfer arrived but again anyone could access the room at anytime as it was not staffed.

ROOM
The room was a standard with twin beds, but the beds were rock hard. We asked for 2 mattress toppers and extra pillows for better comfort.
No tea/coffee facilities or iron were provided but an iron was available from reception if required. The balcony was small but adequate.
The shower was fabulous and the bathroom was very modern and stylish.
The room was not as modern as I expected but nice.
The television was dated, no flat screen.

BUFFET RESTAURANT
The buffet restaurant is chaos on your first visit. I recommend getting a drink and then finding a table, you can secure your table by leaving your drinks on the table instead of making our error of searching for a table with a plate full of hot food.
Soft drinks, wine and beer are in the back corners of the restaurant. If you want a spirit I think you need to get that outside at the bar.
We only ate dinner in the hotel twice as there are fantastic restaurants in Puerto Del Carmen that we wanted to revisit.
We did eat breakfast every day here and the occasional lunch.
The simple task of toast for breakfast each day was always a debacle, the toasters aren't the best, it rotates the toast and it needs at least 2 goes to be properly toasted. The butter was on one side of the room and the only toaster that was on was situated on the opposite side of the room, very annoying but not a deal breaker.
I'm not a morning person but I usually made it to breakfast for 10ish as did many others but the staff, although pleasant, made me feel I was in the way as they were constantly rushing about around you trying to set up for lunch, as a result it is a very noisy environment.
Someone also walked into me, hitting my head with their plate as they weren't looking where they were going.
Food was fine but not labelled which made it difficult to know what it was.

THEMED RESTRAUNTS
We booked the Asian restaurant for one evening and had high hopes as the reps told us it was highly recommended and you had to book in advance. We were disappointed as the food was cold and there was no atmosphere. There were also plenty of free tables so I'm not sure it actually was that popular. We cancelled our booking for the Mexican restaurant the following evening due to this.

NOISE
My main complaint with the hotel was the noise in the mornings. The cleaning staff were very loud and without fail I was wakened every morning at 8:40am to the noise of them talking outside and dragging the furniture over the tiled floors in the rooms below. I'm on holiday and I wanted a longer lie in than 8:40am.
The rooms were kept very clean but they could clean more quietly in the morning.
We kept our door chain on as the staff tried to clean our room very early.
Daily we heard people walking over the bridge, dragging their cases, it was noisy if early morning.
This also happened late at night when people returned to their rooms for the night, the bridge is wooden and heels echoed.

GROUNDS
The grounds were very colourful and clean with the odd cockroach.
There is an awful smell near the back gate, glad we did not have a room there.
We got a taxi home one evening which dropped us at the main entrance which was closed! We stood for ages waiting to be let in after pressing a white square button.
We were not told about the main doors being closed after hours.

POOLS
The pool at our part of the hotel was definitely quieter and we sunbathed here with no issues getting a lounger.
The swim up bar is in the pool here but I didn't sample as the pools was freezing, I was very disappointed.
All the pools were cold and not many guests used them but they were very clean as was the pool area. Staff regularly emptied the containers throughout the pool area where guests left finished drinks etc.
My only annoyance here was those who smoked near me as I was sunbathing which can't be helped. One guest smoked a cigarette in the pool at the swim up bar which I thought was disgusting and another guest was smoking in the no smoking area within the snack bar area of the main hotel and staff didn't ask her to stop.

ENTERTAINMENT
Awful. It was just people miming and dancing to music.

ALCOHOL
No branded alcohol on offer but service is quick and beer/wine/ is on tap at two self serve points in the main hotel.
Cava is also available in buckets on bar top.
There is a selection of cocktails on offer but these come from a machine and ice/garnish is added later, they did not taste great at all and I would much prefer someone to make the cocktails. As a 4* hotel they should offer this personal touch.
Spirit measures are large as is the case throughout Puerto Del Carmen so an extra mixer may be required.
We preferred to drink outwith the hotel as the choice was better.

NON ALCOHOLIC DRINKS
Almost everything comes from a machine which you help yourself to. This was fine for soft drinks such as Coca-Cola and Sprite but the hot drinks were not great quality, the cappuccino was bad but the coffee was ok. A proper coffee machine would be much better and what I expect from a hotel of this level.

FACILITIES
There were no drinks facilities at our hotel after 6pm which meant you had to go to the main hotel. As there were no tea/coffee facilities in our room this was particularly annoying. There is definitely space for a drink station in the lobby, I don't understand why they don't have one here or provide a kettle etc. Guests at our end get a raw deal with this I think.
There was no iron or ironing board in the room. I didn't use the hairdryer as I always bring my own.
Wifi was 1 euro for 30 mins or 5 euro for a day but you can only use on one device so no sharing with partner or kids etc. This can be costly over the week and also only available within the lobby. I don't appreciate being charged for this although some bars offer free wifi with the resort.
Luggage scales are available in the hotel lobby at 1 euro per go but they are inaccurate. My case was 2 kilo out copmared to the airport scales but luckily I was just below the limit.
Like the wifi I feel it was just another way of trying to make money out of guests who have already paid a fair amount for there stay, they should be free!!
Reception can phone you a taxi which comes within minutes and only costs 5 euro to the Old Town. We often got a taxi home in the evening as it was a good hour long walk from the Old Town to the hotel.
Club Volcano was empty when we went so we didn't stay for a drink.
The sport activities looked good but we did not sample them.

MY TIPS
The snack bar area in our hotel had a nice conservatory area to sit in by the pool if you wanted out of the heat for a bit.
Don't spend your whole holiday in the hotel, get out and explore the fantastic restaurants on the strip and in the Old Town where you will get some fabulous views whilst you eat.
Bollywood on the main strip is fantastic for a curry.
Oriental World also on main strip but a bit further down is also excellent for Asian dishes.
Emma's Cantina in the Old Town is very popular for Mexican.
La Ola on the main strip near the casino is a great night out, have a slap up meal with piano music then head downstairs to Café Ola for cocktails, they are delicious.
We paid our rep for the morning trip to the Teguise market but I think we were ripped off as you can get the trip cheaper from shops on the strip although they won't collect and drop off from the hotel. The Teguise market was ok but similar things on each stall, lots of jewellery.
The main shopping centre in Puerto Del Carmen wasn't great there is a Zara which I love and prices much better than UK.
Don't hesitate getting a taxi they are very cheap and much better than waiting on a bus.
Ladies, take a cardigan or a light jacket for the evening as it gets cold especially if you sit outside or go for a walk. I felt more comfortable in trousers due to the cool evening air.
Airport departure is awful, 2 years in a row we waited 45 mins plus to check in. This year was bad as transfer was 20 mins late and we were at the back of the queue which left no time for airport shopping, freshening up etc. If transfers are not included in your holiday do not pay for them, just get a taxi as you can get there when you want and avoid these issues.
Look out for Ali Baba selling his watches and jewellery in the Old Town, a right comedian.

OVERALL
There were no major issues with the hotel but nothing outstanding either, the food and drink selection was average so I would not pay the extra for staying all inclusive.
There are so many good places to eat outwith for very cheap prices, for a couple it is perhaps not as good value to go all inclusive here.
The hotel could do with adding a personal touch in some areas. Most guests were German, some were families, some young couples but most guests were more mature couples.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alison M
Derbyshire
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Arrived at hotel beware they don't send you over bridge to adjoining hotel complex very long walk told reception that my wife could not walk that far so they gave us a room in the Paraiso hotel ground floor this was perfect . The entertainment staff were excellent they put on shows worthy off professionals . Ideal location ,good dining ,staff were very polite and helpful .very clean in all areas . Beware of the annexe

Room Tip: Don't go in annexe very long walk
4 Thank Graham W
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 11 nights in may. Very disappointed this is not a 4* maybe a 3 at a push! Had to pay for wifi which is 20 euros for the week but can only be used around the pool and reception area, and even then keeps loosing signal. Food is terrible. Raw eggs at breakfast when asking the management said we should of asked the chef to cook it for longer. Snack bar was ok if you like plain pizza and chips. If you went to the main restaurant for dinner it was exactly the same as evening meal that same day, If you like pork and fish every night and vegetables. We spoke to the manager and he's attitude wasn't even bothered, said that his hotel isn't a 4* because it doesn't have chicken every night and is too busy! And next time we should choose a smaller hotel! He's suppose to be running a business? The chefs look like they are struggle to keep up to the demand of guest. And food is always cold. Cleanness of rooms was ok, and the friendliness of staff was good. So to overall our holiday food was awful had to eat out every night doesn't cater for everyone. Had to pay for wifi at a 4* all inclusive, which you cant even have in your rooms. Location good if you don't mind walking 15-20 mins or a taxi is 4 euros. Very Disappointed!

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Cheryl_jane89
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

ALL I CAN SAY IS WE HAD A FANTASTIC HOLIDAY. .
Hotel fab....
Food fantastic...
Pool area lovely...
Wonderful Staff...
Great Entertainment
Cant wait to go back...
Room was clean and spacious.
Beach is just opposite Hotel where you have a key for the gate so you can leave hotel, and have great walks..

Room Tip: We had a room opposite tennis courts which was nice and quite....
6 Thank thecrazyblonde
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just returned from a week’s holiday with my husband on Monday 27th May. What a marvellous hotel. On arrival, 10pm, we were asked to hand in passport and wait to be called. We were then shown where our room was on a map and pointed in the right direction. We had paid for a top floor sea/pool view and we got exactly that!! We were in the quieter side of the hotel but that suited us fine. We had a bunch of 3 keys. 1 for hotel room, 1 for free safe and 1 for the gate that you can use for direct access into the street behind the hotel. Great for a beach walk or catching a local bus. Food and drink plentiful. Restaurant opens at 8am then you could basically eat all day until 10pm at night. Once you’ve finished your meal your plate is taken away and the waiters are always attentive. You have a huge variety selection of meals that some meal times you’re just spoilt for choice. Children are well catered for too. The rooms, pools and sun loungers are cleaned every morning. The apartments looked well maintained though we did not stay in one. The reps are on hand to offer advice from booking trips to giving advice about the island. We took local buses to both Costa Teguise and Playa Blanca - both worth the money and an enjoyable bus ride. All in all it is a hotel we would definately return to.

Room Tip: Pay that bit extra and ask for sea/pool room. The balconies have sun loungers are a bit more private...
5 Thank Pam61162
Walsall
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just returned May 27th from one week at this hotel, have racked my brains to find a fault, reception staff by the plenty all cheerful, cannot do enough for you, we were sent straight to the bar while they sorted out the booking in and the transfer of our luggage to the room.
We had room 303 above the reception on next floor, large room with a big balcony from which we could see the pool and the sea. Room was quiet being at the end of the corridor, this hotel is 2 joined together by a wooden bridge, we did venture over to the other part a couple of times, you could tell were the second entrance and recpetion were, it looked a bit dark and old fashioned compared to the proper reception area and a good distance to walk to the restaurant an entertainment area every day.
Everywhere was kept spotlessly clean, including the resort, cant say that in the UK.
Drinks and Bar: Soft drinks, tea and coffees, beer and wine were self service in the bar area, so no queues but you would have to trust under age children not to help themselves to beer and wine. The bar itself was well staffed a night, I never had to wait to long to be served, again all the staff very cheerful lots of spirits and cocktails available, including sparkling wine and Sangria.
Restaurant: If I'm going to moan its the restaurant, nothing wrong with the food, its just they show cook to many things and you end up queuing for steaks and grilled fish or what ever they are doing, it was fried eggs in the mornings.
They have 3 themed restaurants, Asian, Mexican, and Canarian (Booked at reception), 2 sittings at each 6.30 and 8.30, self service as the main restaurant we went to them all on the late sitting, all very nice the Asian just edged it for us, but it depends on your taste.
They have a couple of snack bars serving salads burgers, hot dogs, pizzas and chips from noon till about 4pm, ideal for the kids.
Entertainment: Im not one for the silly games and the comedy shows at night, but we did go one night and the staff did a very good job, the kids seem to love it during the day so top marks to the entertainment staff who always had the time to come and see if you were enjoying yourself.
The week we stayed the majority of the customers were like ourselves the wrong side of 50 equally split English/German, lots of sticks, zimmer frames and wheelchairs not sure what its like in the middle of summer.
Weather: Not brilliant,cold wind at night, you needed a fleece. The days seemed to be cloudy in the mornings but the wind cleared them and the sun came out in the afternoon, lasting till early evening, but it was nice and warm in the sun.
Resort: The main shopping centre at Puerto Del Carmen is a good hour walk along the front but they are shops and bars along the way for refreshments, the prices seemed very good. there was a bus stop not from the hotel if you wanted to ride into the Main Centre.
Beach: You where given a plastic key to get out of the hotel to the beach and road into the Main Centre. the beach was across the road, black sand, which I didnt find to bad, except you feet looked dirty, the bay was getting on for a mile long so it was nice to walk along, if you were brave you could keep going passed a few more bays to the airport about 3miles and watch the planes coming in just over your head.
Overall a most enjoyable weeks break.

Room Tip: I would advise trying to get a room in the main block, its a bit of a walk from the other block.
6 Thank Paul D