“Two in One”

Ranked #19 of 94 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Maesycwmmer, United Kingdom
“Two in One”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

There are two distinct hotel blocks which a connected by a very long wooden plank bridge here which are very clean, nice gardens, two swimming pool complexes and opposite a lovely beach.
My concern is that in top season the fact that there is only one buffet restaurant (Two themed restaurants to be booked) one bar and one theatre like entertainment room, that this will become a very noisy and overcrowded area. It would have made sense to keep the snack bar, which is located by he "quiet" hotel block to be kept open as a bar in the evenings.
The pools are lovely and pool towels provided. The food is good but you have to queue for the main course at the show cooking stations. The drinks are very weak, but tea, coffee and soft drinks are on tap.
The wifi is charged for at a euro for 30 minutes, but it keeps dropping out, I would recommend going down the road to a bar which has free wifi.
As this is my first visit to a Riu hotel I am wary for the future because it seems all Riu hotels have the same suppliers and systems!

1 Thank HazelHarris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (994)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
herts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have to say I am in complete agreement with michelle e. We liked it, it was clean and tidy and the staff were fantastic. However, I think once you have been to a Riu in Mexico the bar has been set so high, its spoils you for anything else.
I am NOT a fussy eater at all and I was a bit disappointed in the food. The salads were fresh and lovely everyday but everything else I found very uninspiring and at no time did I look forward to my meals there.
Overall really nice hotel though and great value for the week.

1 Thank jayellHerts
Llanelli, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

A lot of the reviews comment on the same things so I will break everything down to subheadings and you can decide which section you'd like to read.

The Hotel.
The hotel was 2 hotels and made into one large one. The club side is the part which the restaurants, 2 pools, activities, bar, reception and a small shop. The 'palace' side is across the bridge. Dont be put off by the comments about the bridge, its perfectly fine I had wandered over the palace side a few times, and the bridge is perfectly stable, about a minute to walk over, its covered above and to the side. It takes you over the ground floor roof into the other side of hotel. The 'palace' side has lovely decor and a few quiet computers for the internet. 50c for 7 mnins, 1 euro for 15 mins and 2 euros for 30 mins. You can also pay for wifi by the computers in the 'club side' we paid 20euros for 7 days worth of wifi, but be warned you can only get signal in the main bar/pool/reception area of the hotel, so no use in the rooms, and our room was in the main bar area and we couldnt get signal. The palace side also has a shop, which has some sweets, soveniers, swim costumes etc, a hair dressers, a book shop, gym, sauna etc. This is the side of the hotel which has the swim up bar. This wasnt always open despite is being very warm. They also have another bar which is under cover, but not open in the evenings if im correct.

The Food.
Most of the day you were able to get something to eat. The breakfast lunch and dinner were all served in the main buffet restaurant. If you would like to have an alcoholic drink with your meal you would need to get it from the bar before you sit down, or just pop out to the bar right outside. Never a long queue at the bar, they always work quickly. In the restaurant you can get pops from the dispenser, coke, sprite, lemon fanta, orange fanta, and some water. Breakfast is quite boring to be fair as there was never any change in the food, but if you would have fruit or cereal to alternate then it is fine. The right and left side of the restaurant cook identical food, but they can only cook approx 8 eggs in one go, so if you side has a queue for some eggs, you can usually get some on the other side of the cooking area. They usually have eggs, bacon, sausages (hot dog style) ham and scrambled egg. They also had a choice of breads, cereals and fruit. Lunch was served inside the restaurant and outside in the bar area. Outside cooked hot dogs, burgers, chips, pasta, pizza, garlic bread and toasted ham and cheese sandwiches. There was also ice cream and some desserts served. The dinner in the main restaurant was fine if your fussy and like to try different things. I always had a different meal every night. The hotel also has 3 themed restaurants. The canarian and mexican are served in the same restaurant and then asian is served in the other restauarant, all around by the main bar area.These are all lovley restuarants for the change of food and they wait on you and serve you your drinks unlike the buffet restaurant. You can go to these restaurants as many times as you like, just go to reception to book. The mexican is sunday-wednesday, Canarian is thursday to saturday and Im not sure the days for the asian. I would definately recommend you go to the restaurants for a change in food, and its all included in the price. I lovely touch was that you if you want a bottle of water for your room, or to take on a day out, you can get a bottle from reception for free. They also give you one of your arrival which is great. You can go up as many times as you wish.

Bar.
The bar served a nice range of drinks, with a few coktails, whiskeys, brandy, juices etc. You could also get coffee, hot chocolate, fizzy drinks from around the bar area.

Activities.
There is a board by the main buffet restaurant which tells you what activites are happening and at what time. The animation team always bring their microphone and speaker near the pool and make announcements anyway, so if you've forgotton you'll always get a reminder. The activites include, pistol shooting, airgun shooting, bingo, archery, football, vollyball, water polo, bowls, etc etc. The hotel also has a ping pong table and 2 tennis courts, one at each side of the hotel. You have to give them 10 euros per racket as a deposit in case you damage them, but they refund them on your return of your game. They ask you to book one day in advance at reception.

Pools.
There are 4 pools in the hotel, 2 on either side. Be warned they are very cold, but once in they are usually ok, just have to have the guts to get in first lol. The sun beds do get covered with pool towels from guests, and then you dont see them on them all day which is annoying, although on the sunny days the sun beds were packed!! So get up early to get one. The pool towels can be got from the pool with your pool card. Hold onto these as they expect them back when you check out at the end of your stay. You can collect the towels between 09.30-12.00 if im correct.

Evening Entertainment.
The acts in the night varied. Some times they brought other acts into the hotel like flamenco dancers, gymnasts etc. These were quite good. The animation team did try hard though with their acts, and can be quite comical. They also have karaoke a few times a week.

Around The Hotel.
You can get to the beach via the gate at the back of the hotel. You will have a black fob on your room keys, and you place this in the hole to the right of the wall. The beach at the back of the hotel isnt very nice, dark sand but its acceptable. Out the back and to the left of the hotel is 'Costa Mars Bus Stop' which is the pick up point for some excursions. Further along is a spar, a bar and few shops. Also there is a telephone box. Out the back and to the right of the hotel is a telephone box and a few more shops. If you walk for about 30mins-1hour depending on how fast you walk you will reach Puerto del Carmen, the main town with a shopping centre and the nice beach. Very easy to get to just keep going along the coast. If you prefer to catch the bus is 1.40 euros each. Very cheap. Takes about 5-10 mins bus ride. A taxi is apparently approx 4-5euro.

Rooms.
The rooms are nice, 2 cupboards for clothes, a safe which is free, and a fridge. There isnt a kettle in the room so take one if you would like a drink in the night and your in the 'palace' section. Otherwise you can get a coffee/tea/hot chocolate in the bar area. The hair dryer in the bathroom is a bit useless. So i would definatetly take your own! The beds are hard, but this was fine for me. You can get a matress topper and extra pillows from reception. Just ask them, and a maid will bring one to your room within approx 10-20 mins. The beds are on wheels which is a little annoying and twin beds, so if you enjoy cuddles, you'll pretty much be kept in one bed, or the beds will split and you'll fall between the gaps lol. If you would like a room in a particular part of the hotel, just email them their email address is clubhotel.paraisolanzarote@riu.com I had emailed in advance to ask for a room in the main club area, with a view of the pool and on the ground floor and the room was prefect!! I was right next to everything but didnt have any noise in the night from the bar area which was very unusual! Evening when they had karaoke and shows on. We could also see a little bit of the sea, and the sunrise was beautful from our room. The room was 162.

Leaving.
When you leave you have to leave the room at 11am. If you go up to reception the day before you can request a late check out until 1pm which is free. You have to check back later in the night to see if it has been granted but ours was. You can put your luggage in the room in the main reception area, which they call the 'luggage room' while you enjoy the rest of your day. We booked through Thomson, and they pick you up quite late for your to be able to go through duty free, so if you can, get on one of the earlier buses to the airport as the check in took 40 mnins for us to reach the front of the queue and would have taken a lot longer if we got on the correct bus. The buses were also leaving 15-20 mins later than they were supposed to, so would difinatley recommend having a look if any leave earlier.

Excurisions/Trips/Things to do.
On our stay we did 2 trips. The catlanza and the volcano. On the volcano trip 'discover fire mountain' you have the chose to choose a camel ride as an add on (we werent made aware of this when booking the excursion in the shop). I would recommend not paying the extra, as they take you to them anyway, and then you can pay 6euro each (12euro a camel which carries 2 people) instead of paying the extra 10euro per person that the travel agent wanted. If you fancy a bit of Scuba diving, i would recomment 'Manta Scuba Diving Lanzarote' we did the scuba with them and they were lovely and very helpful! They even pick you up from the hotel, and their British! So no language problems lol.

Special Occasions.
When we booked it was for my 21st birthday so they put this on your booking (at least thomson did) and if shows as 'Anniversary' so when we arrived the hotel got a little confused and put a bottle of bubbly and a 'Happy Anniversary' note with it which was a lovely touch....even if they did get it wrong lol. On my birthday they had put another bottle of bubbly and a happy birthday note. They had done this before my bedroom was made, so they had obviously made a note of it being my birthday.

Sorry for the long essay but wanted to cover pretty much anything i could think of. If you have any questions about the hotel, or area, you can message me and I'll try my best to help! :)

Room Tip: Room 162 - main pool/bar area, no noise in the night was very surprised, great view of pool and a li...
9 Thank racz26
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just arrived back from this hotel after a relaxing week in the sunshine with my Mum. Check in was quick and easy and our suitcases arrived at our room just after we did. Our room was just near reception and had a great pool view, we asked for extra pillows which arrived promptly as did the mattress toppers the next morning which we requested as the beds were a bit hard. The only gripe with the room was the hairdryer which wasn't very powerful so I would highly recommend you take your own.

The hotel is huge and set in beautiful grounds which are very well maintained, plenty of sunbeds and parasols the only thing is the sunbeds are very close together and you feel as though you are packed in like sardines!! The pool across the bridge appeared quieter and the beds not as close together so would use this pool if I visited again.

The food was gorgeous and plentiful at all times, the only thing I can think of when I have read the negative comments is they are picky eaters!! This is the only all inclusive I have visited were cocktails are free of charge although I only had them once, the red and white wine was good, you could pour your own soft drinks, beer, wine tea and coffee which meant the queues at the bars were non existant. Staff were very friendly and the entertanment staff worked very hard all day, activities going on all day but you wasn't forced to take part if you didn't want to, although I didn't move off my sunbed!!

Hotel in a really good location for you to take nice walks along the sea front, also there is a bus stop right outside for buses which take you to various locations on this island.

Would definately recommend this hotel and I would certainly consider going again, I can imagine it gets really full in high season though.

2 Thank northerngirl71
Swansea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

In brief:

Great location, nice modernish hotel, good facilities, nice for families, staff are SUPERB.

The main downside for us would have been the food. It was extremely bland and I think if you're british then you would be somewhat disappointed at the quality of the food. It really let the holiday down for us. Also be aware that the beds are extremely hard and it is worth requesting a mattress topper if this is the case for you.

1 Thank 18tilidie
Livingston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Its ok for lanzarote,but it would have t raise its game ,if it was in the carribean,or mexico,first of all its a good 3 star with 3 star food and 3 star drink,when we were there it was full to bursting point ,and it just couldn,t cope,the buffet indoor eating area is a joke,you are elbow to elbow with,the person in the next table,the staff can hardly move between table,s and people trying to get there food.we were all inclusive and decided to eat out most nights ,some excellent eating places quite near.The room we had was really big ,but had a view onto a wall not good enough.the entertainment was good the staff work hard ,its the small theater that is the problem ,if you dont get in quick forget it,its far to small for the amount of people at the hotel.The seating area at night is not good enough ,time and time we and other people would be standing for hour,s hoping someone would vacat a seat,the choice was stand or sit on the edge of the sunbed,s.The biggest problem with the hotel , it struggle,s they have combined two hotels into one,without expanding the bar resturant and entertainment area,s and the standard fall,s.We love RUI hotels but wont be back to this one,don,t be put off by the name try them in mexico ,they are brilliant..

Room Tip: try and get one in the main building and on a corner
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank michelle e
Woking, Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here for 10 days with our 2 adult sons, arriving on Easter Sunday. It was our 3rd time at the hotel and we emailed in advance requesting rooms in the main hotel, on the ground floor, which were allocated to us on arrival. There was a welcome note and flower in both rooms along with a bottle of sparkling wine for my son's birthday. Being an all inclusive hotel this gesture cost them nothing but the attention to detail shows the ethos of the manager and his staff. The staff are the best asset of this hotel. They are always friendly, helpful and efficient - reception, dining room, animation team, cleaners and gardeners.
We chose to alternate between the main restaurant and the 3 speciality restaurants which gave us more variety. It was easy to book these through reception, usually the day before.
Pros: great staff, good activity programme, clean rooms, choice of restaurants, ample sunbeds
Cons: no free wifi, gym didn't open till 9am, limited range of desserts
The holiday experience here is very consistent. We would return again for a family holiday as there is plenty on offer to suit a wide age range.

Room Tip: Main hotel is more convenient, ground floor rooms overlooking tennis courts have access directly fro...
1 Thank Watto27