“Poor Service & Solicited by the owner for a "Good Review"”
Review of La Lanterna

La Lanterna
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
UK
“Poor Service & Solicited by the owner for a "Good Review"”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Mmmm it all somewhat makes sense now ! This place has been discussed with some heated debate around it's sudden ascension in the rankings from 1 time reviewers and an awful lot of "Italians" Well, we were nearby one lunchtime last week so decided to give a try and form our own opinion.

Service was okay, not overly friendly but efficient enough. We both ordered mixed meats platter with bread and olives and a couple of cokes. & my friend ordered a Margarita Pizza. Nothing to really complain about food wise except perhaps the portion for the prices charged. Plus we were the only people in at lunchtime ? And on passing in the evenings there were never too many punters in there. They do also own the ice cream shop which has also shot up in the rankings...........and ice cream shop is suddenly a restaurant ? God knows why it was allowed to be listed in the first place.

So, we asked for the bill and a small guy who had been in the kitchen came out, asks us if we enjoyed our lunch, we were pretty non committal & then he says "do you use Tripadvisor" my friend advised that we did and then he shoves a business card in our hand and implored us to write a review and give an excellent rating. I advised him this was against the TA rules and he just laughed and wished us good afternoon !!!

TA review abuse at it's very best

• Visited February 2013
9 Thank Miss_Chief1

• Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not as good as advertised”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Having read reviews beforehand I was expecting something special. We found food to be average and staff none too chatty.

Visited January 2013
4 Thank Chrissie1806
Cork
“italian pasta and pizza”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I ate at La Lanterna on three occasions during my recent stay in Puerto del carmen. The first time I had pizza which was good. I had beer to accompany it. Both were reasonably priced and the service was good. I tried their pasta the second and third time. I'm no expert but I thoroughly enjoyed the seafood pasta I had on the second occasion. I thought the italian wine was relatively expensive however so I had beer again on my third meal. As my pasta was taking time to prepare I was given garlic bread on the house while waiting which was a nice touch. All in all, I recommend the restaurant and would eat there again. Ive rated atmosphere as average as it was early when I ate and quiet

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank LiamSpringwell
Limerick, Ireland
“top class food”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Excellent Restaurant, Excellent food a must visit to everyone who goes to Puerto Del Carmen. very friendly and pizzas and garlic bread to die for cant wait to go back when i am back in Lanzarote

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Fijay1981
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Best prawn cocktail we've ever tasted!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

As this was our first visit to Lanzarote we listed the top 20 restaurants in Puerto Del Carmen before we travelled and it was the best thing we did. We're seasoned travellers and always opt for self catering as a lovely meal at night is an important part of our holiday.

We ate at La Lanterna on New Year's Day 2013 as this was our 7th anniversary together and we wanted it to be special - and special it was. The restaurant is located on the main strip opposite the beach but it isn't easy to spot as it's located above some other restaurants/shops. When we got there it was packed and we had to wait half an hour to get a table.

For starters John had the best prawn cocktail EVER and I had garlic and chilli king prawns, which were also delicious. Then John had spaghetti bolognese and I had lasagne - both completely homemade of course, as is everything on the menu. We were too full for dessert. Everything was so fresh and tasty that we went back the night after (we never usually do this!) for the final night of our holiday; we both ordered prawn cocktail starters and pepperoni pizzas - top notch food again, all homemade and we each had to take half of our pizzas back to the apartment with us because we were stuffed!

Both nights we had starters and main courses and a bottle of wine with our meals - all for between 40-45 euros. Excellent value for great food, outstanding customer service and a really enjoyable evening.

Excellent family run business and we will definitely eat there again next time we go to Lanzarote.

• Visited December 2012