“Too far out.”

Ranked #3 of 94 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Eastkilbride
“Too far out.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in June, for 2 weeks. On arrival the first thing I saw was cockroaches, so I didn't know what to expect. But to be fair the rooms where spotless, and maids where in 5 days a week making beds, sweeping floors, changing towels. So I was very relieved. No complaints there.

Disappointed about air con, The only reason we choose the costa sal over another one was because the costa sal said it had air con. However when we arrived, we where informed that the air con only goes on July-sept. So we weren't too pleased. We always have air con as can't sleep without it. Rooms where far too hot, and with the windows open at night, it was too noisy to sleep. They should make it clearer that air con is only available at certain times. The hotels location wasn't the greatest. It was 30-45 minutes from Puerto del carmen (walking) and therefor had we known it didn't have air con. We would have booked the hotel we where originally going to book that also didn't have air con, but was in the main resort, so better location. As where the costa sal is, is matagorda. A bit too isolated for us. It had a few restaurants and shops. But for a 2 week holiday. It soon got boring. The taxis where cheaper than the buses though. Between 3-4 euros to the main town. Well worth checking it out as it's much cheaper, and a lot more choice.

We also had to move apartments during our stay due to noise, noise from inconsiderate neighbours above us, kept us up all night, then builders kept us up all morning with building work going on in the apartment next door. However moving was no hassle, when we asked to switch we actually got moved to a better apartment which looked more modern (no patio furniture sofas) and this one had a bed for my son. As for some reason the first apartment we where in only had 2 single beds, (we booked for 3 people) so my son had to sleep on a sofa that looked more like patio furniture. If there was a 3rd adult and not a child with us, I don't know how they would have slept on it for 2 weeks. It was wooden so not comfortable at all.

Lots of work going on, they where putting new furniture in the apartments that we got moved too. However in my opinion the first apartment we where in needed it far more.

Restaurant staff where great couldn't be any more helpful, an asset to costa sal. (Reception staff could learn a thing or two from them) and the food itself was outstanding. My favourite meals where ate at the hotel. The Sunday roast & BBQ night is a must. Not to be missed.(Advised to put your name down early) we saw a lot of guests being turned away as they where fully booked.

One of my main issues was the wifi. A lot of hotels offer this for free or at a small cost at most. Costa sal want 30 euros per week, per DEVICE. In my opinion a complete rip off. It's pure greed. Considering it struggled to get a connection most of the time.

I also agree with other reviews about the sunbeds. It states they can't be reserved, however most mornings the beds would have towels on them but no guests. Not once did I see staff move any of the towels. For hours most of the beds lay empty with just a towel. It wouldn't be hard to send someone round the pools every hour and remove the towels. Why have rules if your not going to enforce them? However the beach is a 5 minute walk away. Very windy. Never been on a beach like it. With every gust of wind your covered from head to toe in sand. And there's a lot of wind.

Overall it was ok. I wouldn't rush back. Mainly because of the location. If you've booked, you won't be disappointed. A holidays what you make of it.

• Stayed June 2014
9 Thank Michelle M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Newport South Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Costa Sal to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. On arrival we were given an upgrade to a superior apartment. We stayed in room 102 which was on the 1st floor and had a pool and sea views. We had sun on the balcony from early morning till late afternoon. The apartment was newly furnished and had a comfortable sofa with scatter cushions. It had a wood effect floor and the rug, table lamp, flat screen TV & coffee table which added to the comfort. The kitchen had the usual kettle & toaster but the microwave had a grill as well. The cooker had 4 rings with an oven grill and the fridge freezer was a very good size. The beds were very comfy and the maid service was 5 days per week. On arrival the maid had decorated the coffee table with a swan made from a towel and decorated it with flowers and had made a smaller one in the bathroom which we thought was a lovely touch. The cleaning was of a very high standard. We did not eat in the restaurant but had a few drinks in the bar. The staff were very happy and nothing was too much trouble for them.
We did get out and about using the local bus which stopped on the main road outside the apartments visiting Costa Teguise, Playa Blanca and Arrecife. We also walked along the costal path to Playa Honda which passes in front of the airport which was quite an experience with the aeroplanes coming in to land flying low over our heads!!.
I would like to thank Geraldine and all the staff at the Costa Sal for a wonderful holiday and even though it was our first visit I'm sure that it won't be our last.

6 Thank supermum63
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

I've been staying at Costa Sal since I was young due to the family-owned timeshare, however, I hadn't been for quite a while until last year when I returned as an 18 year old. The complex/apartments are clean, modern and comfortable. The staff are very helpful, from reception to cleaning through to maintenance. The only problem we"be ever had with the apartments was not knowing how to work the new cooker and a maintenance man was around within 5 minutes to help us. However we spent most of our time around the pool and in the bar/restaurant! The staff In the restaurant and bar are fantastic and are a real credit to Costa Sal. They are friendly and fun and seem to make anyone and everyone feel welcome -this includes the pool bar which, at the very least, provided my boyfriend with a place to go and someone to talk to whilst I was sun bathing! I've always loved the weather in Lanzarote and Costa Sal is a beautiful place to stay and always has been, but I'd go as far as to say that it was the restaurant within it that convinced us to go back again this year instead of choosing somewhere new! I wouldn't usually write a review but we just wanted to thank the staff as they made our holiday even more enjoyable. I love it and I would recommend Costa Sal to anyone that asks!

2 Thank Darcie C
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

Arrived back last week from a fantastic holiday at Costa Sal and feeling very glum! Costa Sal is a lovely hotel, all the staff were so good and helpful. We booked a superior one bed apartment which was beautiful. I would like to thank Geraldine for our brilliant apartment, I requested first floor with sea view. We not only had first floor apartment but it overlooked the pool with seaview and had the sun on the balcony all day (we will certainly be requesting this room next year). Friendly and helpful reception staff, I requested a first floor apartment for my granddaughter who was arriving the following week and they certainly didn't disappoint, like us they had a fantastic apartment. The staff in the restaurant were so helpful, really friendly, you could have a really good laugh with them we felt we had known then for ages, nothing was too much trouble for any of them. We were self catering but the food was so good in the restaurant for so we ended up eating there quite a lot.
I mustn't forget the ladies who kept our apartment spotless. Thank you all for making our holiday one of the best we have ever had.

Room Tip: We had superior apartment 124, overlooking the pool with sea view and sun on balcony most of the day...
3 Thank Christine F
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

Really enjoyed our time at Costa Sal from where we have just returned after a week long stay. The 1 bed standard apartment was excellent and very clean, and looked like it might have been newly furnished. Housekeeping staff cleaned the apartment every day we were there which was also really good. All the staff are friendly and helpful, especially at reception. We didn't eat food in the restaurant/bar in the hotel (apart from breakfast twice) but the menu looked nice and a reasonable price. We always managed to get a sunbed by one of the two pools and there is a pool bar with a good selection of drinks and ice creams, which was handy.

There is also a small supermarket on site, although a bit more pricey than the local ones, but useful if you need anything. The location of the apartments is good - the area is quite quiet but there are some local supermarkets and bars/restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk. The walk to Puerto del Carmen is only about 20-30 minutes along the beach (or taxi/bus is cheap enough) if you wanted more options.

3 Thank Alexandra S
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

Stayed here end of may/beg of june for two weeks for my husbands 50th dont normally do reviews but Costa Sal is so good and we had such an amazing time I wanted to say thank you to the team there.I can't say enough good things about this place stayed in a superior one bed apartment which was single storey in the middle of the complex totally private patio with a great sea view complete with sun loungers so sunbathed here most of the time. Apartment beautifull, spotlessly clean and very spacious,booked self catering because we like to try different places but ended up eating in the resturant most nights because it was better than the local places we tried. Everything about this place is superb and that includes all the staff from the lovely friendly reception to the wonderful staff in the resturant everyone coulndn't have been nicer or more helpfull . They all have an obvious pride in what they do here and deservedly so. Dont miss the sunday roast followed by the glamour girls havent laughed so much in ages went both weeks. We had an amazing two weeks and will be back. (hopefully in the same room as it was perfect for us).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pamela F
Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed in Costa Sal in Aug 2014 in a 1 bed superior apartment as it had air-con. The apartment was great and cleaned every day. We loved the spacious balcony which had a lovely sea view as requested. All of the staff were helpful and friendly. The main pool area was always busy, lots of sunbeds but only a few soft ones therefore these were grabbed early every morning. I've only given this grade 2 rating as it just didn't tick all my boxes and I expected a lot more. I, like others booked based on TA reviews. Firstly, don't waste money getting an apartment with air-con as it simply doesn't work and when it did, it smelled of sewage. Secondly, there was absolutely nothing done about guests taking and keeping the soft sun beds early morning despite constant replies and comments from Management on TA, they did nothing about it and were never seen to be pro-active. I did ask to speak to a manager about the air-con but was told that there was nobody on duty to speak to us! Funny that they reply immediately to TA reviews but you cannot speak to them in person! I then asked for a fan but was told I'd have to pay which I felt we shouldn't have to as we had paid for an apartment with air-con. .I don't believe for one minute that there wasn't a manager on duty. One morning we were going for an early morning swim and a couple told us that we couldn't use those particular sunbeds as their friends sit there every day! Also, there are very very few sun umbrellas about the pool area, not good if you don't want too much sun or have young kids. Food was nice, good variety. I particularly didn't like the theme nights as it was far to over crowded, also, there is a great variety of small restaurants just a short walk away who are struggling to stay open so please bear this in mind when choosing where to dine. The complex is quite big but quite at night. I'd recommend for a family with young children, my teenager was so bored here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank verat
Gerhanlon, Commercial Director at Costa Sal Villas and Suites, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
First of all thank you for review. I take it you mean you stayed in August 2013! Unless you are a time traveler! But thank you anyway for sharing your experience . Albeit 10 months after your stay with us.
One of the many great things about TripAdvisor, is it gives us the hotel the chance to reply to our guests comments. And that is exactly what I shall do. This gives you the reader, and hopefully our future guests, the chance to come to your own conclusions and decide if you would like to spend your holiday with us. I think as you can read on most of the recent comments, most people are very happy and we have made many improvements since last year. So it is inaccurate to be commenting on many things that have changed almost a year down the road.

We are delighted that you liked the apartment and were pleased with the cleaning service. And that you found the the staff helpful and friendly.Thank you for your kind comments

As I already said, it has been almost a year since you were here, and many things have changed! We now have ALL soft sunbeds and lots more shade at both pools. And the pool area is not open until 09.00.- So no one can reserve sunbeds before this time.

What can I say about your grade 2 rating?? Well obviously we are very disappointed. But as this is 10 months after your holiday, and I don't know which apartment you stayed in, I cant comment on the air con. We have air con through out the complex from July to September,. And if there is a problem with any room. And it is reported, it is rectified straight away. This is normal procedure with any problem guests have in their apartment.
It. is one of the things we are vigilant about ; rectifying any problems that any guests report to us, And it seems unusual that your air con was not fixed. And that you were fobbed off which is totally not the way we operate.
I personally policed the sun beds last summer and stopped people putting towels on them before 09.00. We now have chains blocking the entry to the pool before 09.00. And we have SIGNS all over the complex asking people not to reserve the sunbeds. We ask our guests to respect other guests, and we would expect them to do so. It is such a hard thing to control after this time.. But we do ensure no sunbeds are reserved before 09.00: To control this throughout the day, we would in fact have to employ someone on a full time basis to police this properly.
The Lifeguard does speak to people about this. But he is there for peoples safety.
I do believe that our guests have to take some responsibility for this and obey rules that are set out for them. And not put towels on sunbeds and leave the pool for hours. It is not fair on other guests. We do explain this on check in. And have signs throughout the complex asking people not to do so.
All this said, we now have lots more soft sunbeds, so this should not occur this year. We also have much more shade by the pool which also helps.
There is always a Manager on site during the day., I will say once again, this is hard to comment on 10 months after the fact . But I find it incredible that nothing was done about your air con,. As we do pride ourselves on our service.
I do agree that you should not have had to pay for a fan if your air con was not working. We normally would never charge if this is the case.
It really is totally against all that we stand for, and the service we provide to tell you there was no Manager on duty. This just seems most irregular-.
If you would like to provide me with some more details. Room number. Dates. Name on booking. Who you reported this to . I will most certainly look back over our records and see what happened. My e mail address is geraldine.mcfadden@gmail.com.
We are glad you enjoyed the food. And sorry you did not enjoy our most popular nights, The Theme Nights. We have a set amount of tables and chairs. And not really sure if by overcrowed you mean busy? We have entertainment 6 nights of the week from 9 to 11.30 which seems to suit everyone. We have everything from live music, to bingo. Pig racing to a Drag Show. Quizzes. Karaokee. Something we think that suits everyone. In August there are normally loads of teenagers on site, who get to know one another and tend to make friends. This year we are opening an area for them to congregate, and also our new reception which is now open will be ideal for them to sit and chat and surf the web in the evenings. I do understand it is very hard to keep teenagers happy. And to this end, we are doing out best to improve our facilities and provide some kind of recreation area for them.
Costa Sal is always improving. And we of course do this with the help of feedback from our guests.
I once again would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review. I look forward to hearing from you personally, and investigating your problem with the air con.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Del Carmen
Hipotels La Geria
Hipotels La Geria
#8 of 94 in Puerto Del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,535 reviews

Been to Costa Sal Villas and Suites? Share your experiences!