“Moira Birnie”

Costa Sal Villas and Suites
Ranked #3 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Just spent a lovely time in Costa Sal. Everything was 10 out of 10... Apartment very luxurious, spotless and 3 steps from the Pool. Staff went out of their way to be helpful, friendly and always a smile and a Hello. My Daughter and family also stayed at Costa Sal and had an amazing time. Thankyou Geraldine, Robbie and your lovely staff. Won't be long until I return.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Moira B
Gerhanlon, Director of Sales at Costa Sal Villas and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with your family and that everything was to your liking.
The Team at Costa Sal do all we can to make every ones holiday a memorable one. and we are glad that we achieved this for you.
We look forward to seeing you back again in the not too distant future.
Thank you once again for your lovely comments.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

My son and his wife and their two children stayed in a bungalow at Costa Sal in 2012 and were delighted with their holiday there - they recommended it to us. We have nothing but praise for all the staff - they could not have been more helpful and friendly and the room cleaning service was excellent. For the last 25-years we have holidayed in 'The Canaries' at Christmas and this year was the first time we had the best traditional Christmas Dinner that made our Christmas away from home perfect. Costa Sal's location is a lovely walk to the beach and amenities

There is nothing I could fault with Costa Sal.

Room Tip: Found the Studio we stayed in excellent, quiet at night time, great room cleaning service and sunshi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank finnytimes

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your lovely review.
I am glad that after 25 years going to Gran Canaria that you now have become a Lanzarote convert! And we hope to see you with us many more times in the near future.
Thank you for your comments on Christmas Day. Yes, I think we managed to create a great atmosphere and serve a Traditional Christmas dinner that everyone seemed to enjoy.
It is lovely to get the feedback from everyone on this, and to see more and more people joining us every year for this event.
The Team at Costa Sal thank you once again for writing your review and we will be here to welcome you back in 2014.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

We've just returned from a 2 week stay and we couldn't find a single fault with this hotel, it was perfect for our young family. We choose the bungalow option and it was so perfect, positioned opposite the pool, with a lovely balcony to relax on. The maid service was 5 of the 7 days so our place was constantly cleaned with tons of fresh towels, the kitchen was well equipped with a lovely pool view so cooking was an attractive option. There is a playground, laundry facilities and just walking around the resort was relaxing as its so nicely landscaped. Staff are helpful and there is a nice restaurant & bar in the main building. The beach & shops were only a 10min walk. We will be booking for next year for definite.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the bungalow options 701-708 facing the pool
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Caroline L

It is always a pleasure to read our reviews. And to know that our guests have gone home having enjoyed a great holiday with us here in Costa Sal.
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. And give a very concise overview of what we have to offer.
We are delighted that you liked the position of the bungalow. Our bungalows are located on the lower end of the complex and nearly all of them overlook the pool., So this proves very popular with families with young children . The playground and laundry as you also point out, make it an ideal spot for families. We take great pride in our landscaped gardens. Thank you for the recognition.
We are so glad you also enjoyed the Bar and restaurant and I will pass your kind comments on to all members of the Costa Sal Team.
Thanks again for the review, and we look forward to seeing you back again in the very near future.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

BOOKING
My mother booked this accommodation about four days before our arrival. She booked a studio with Booking.com. We arrived on Sunday the 5th of January, Kings night. Greeted at reception by Rosie, who was very friendly and helpful. She could not find our booking so it took around forty five minutes before we got a room key. It seemed booking.com did not forward our booking and Costa Sal did not have a studio available, so we were given a bungalow and told to come back to reception the next day. The bungalow was lovely, had two bedrooms and overlooked the smaller pool at the very bottom of the complex, where it is much flatter with a gate out of the complex to the beach and shopping centre. Be aware the complex is quite vast and built on a hill, with reception, restaurant, bar, supermarket and main pool at the top and all the accommodation spead down the hill, linked by ramps and steps, so not ideal if you have mobility issues.

I returned to reception the next morning to see what arrangements could be made so that we could finally unpack and start our holiday. I was told we could move to a studio that day but it was at this point I was made aware that the studio's have only a double bed and a small sofa. Being Mother and son, I could not really see me sharing a bed with my mother, that aside, my mother suffers from Lymphedema and I could not risk kicking or injuring her in my sleep, as I am quite restless. Costa Sal has only five studios in the middle of the complex amongst all the steps and overlooking a childrens play area which made them even less appealing. I asked if we could upgrade to a one bedroomed apartment but was told this would not be possible until Wednesday. I returned to advise my mother and realising we would be in limbo until then, and our bungalow was perfectly placed given her condition, we returned and asked if could keep it for the week. The staff were wonderful about this and offered us the bungalow at a discounted rate. I was not too pleased about the extra expense that had been incurred but saw no choice but to try and make the most of it. In the end I felt it was worth it, compared to the alternatives. I can not fault the staff at Costa Sal in anyway, they were very helpful in dealing with our dilemma.

FACILITIES
The staff who ran the on site bar/restaurant were really helpful,nice and friendly. We ate a meal in there quite late the first night we had arrived, but they showed us a table and didn't rush us to order even though the kitchen was shortly closing. They were hosting a drag show that night with prizes, but as it was kings night the room was fairly quiet. Every night there was some form of entertainment in the bar. I would have liked to have seen the pig race but it was cancelled. We had a buffet breakfast the first morning, the quality of which was very good, not the cheapest but cheap does not equal good quality. On our third night they also hosted an eat all you want bbq, with steaks cooked to order. For the most part we self catered for breakfast and lunch and ate out during the evening. The on site supermarket below reception stocks the minimal essentials, there are better stocked supermarkets in the Matagorda shopping centre or Pocillos. There is a very large lagoon style swimming pool and childrens pool with a lifeguard on duty at the main part of the complex. Sauna, massage facilites are available below the pool and tennis courts at the bottom of the complex. All of the public areas, gardens and footpaths are well maintained and clean. There is wi-fi available at €3 a day or €18 for the Maintenence were always working in the grounds and cleaning the pool areas first thing in the morning. I called reception regarding the kitchen light not working and this was acted on within 15 minutes. We returned from a day out to find maintenence had changed all of the kitchen unit doors which was very surprising, with no trace of any mess left behind. The security of the gates around the complex allowing access closer to your apartment were a bonus, especially for us as my Mother struggled with the steps and the steep hills. I would definitely recommend the bungalows at fhe very bottom around the smaller private pool, it almost felt like a separate complex apart from the rest of Costa Sal.

ACCOMMODATION
Based on our two bedroomed bungalow. We had a terrace with four seat patio furniture. Shuttered patio doors led directly into the lounge area with a three seat and two seat sofa, coffee table, side table and lamp, sideboard with extra bedding, some books and flatscreen tv with Sky News, BBC1, ITV1 & ITV2 as well as Channel 3 from Ireland. Of course there were Spanish and German channels. The kitchen was large and fairly well stocked with crockery, cutlery and glassware for five occupants. There was no oven, which was a shame considering the size of the kitchen and potential to be cooking for a large group, but there was a small built in microwave. A kettle toaster and four ring ceramic hob completed the cooking facilities. A four seater dining table occupied a corner of the kitcgen area. Bathroom had bath with shower over, toilet and sink. Towels aplenty. I have seen some reviewers have uploaded pictures of tiles in the bathroom, yes some of the tile grout was looking a little tired around the bath where the shower may come into contact at the tap end of the bath but actually I found the bathroom on the whole to look very clean and tidy considering how much usage these apartments must get and I have seen much worse in four star accommodation. If you travel abroad to appreciate tile grout, perhaps this is not the place for you. Each bedroom had two sinngle beds divided by a bedside cabinet, built in wardrobe with enough hangers and storage shelves for your stay. Each room had a shuttered window, the master bedroom also had a door leading to a small private walled clothes drying area. The master bedroom had a dressing table and mirror as well as an electric safe in the wardrobe. The bungalows are quite large and would accommodate four adults easily or a small family. I am aware there are also superior standard apartments and bungalows in the complex but ours was more than adequate for us. Just across the pool was the secure gate out of which you can get to the seafront of Matagorda shopping centre in around five minutes. The beach in this area is much less crowded and in general I find Matagorda has an even more relaxed pace than nearby Puerto del Carmen. I do recommend hiring a bike and taking yourself off into Arrecide past the airport to your left or Puerto del Carmen to the right. The promebade is cycle friendly.

NEARBY
The Matagorda shopping centre is fine if you just want a really chilled holiday doing not much. It gas to small minimarkets for food and drink, Chinese, Indian, Italian as well as traditional restaurants. It isn't a particularly flash a la carte style eating place but pleasant enough. There are a couple of friendly bars, amusement arcade, car hire office as well Fliston bike hire and some small souvenir shops. Further to the right if you walk towards Puerto del Carmen are a row of seafront bars , cafe's and restaurants as well as a small Mcdonalds. Eventually you will find yourself in Pocillos which has a small centre, similar to the one in Matagorda. Further on you will find yourself in Puerto del Carmen which is much busier. This walk will take round thirty minutes and is really pleasant. If you don't fancy walking then you can take the bus a two minute walk from reception.

I really enjoyed my stay at Costa Sal and would recommend the bungalows we stayed in to anyone thinking of staying in good quality, well run apartments in Matagorda.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank TandWtraveller
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Just returned from five days at this beautiful resort. We booked after reading the reviews here on Tripadvisor (as we always do) and were not disappointed. We were upgraded to a 2 bed apartment as soon as we arrived, which was immaculately clean and extremely spacious with lovely decor. The resort has everything you could need for a lovely holiday and the staff could not do enough - from the reception to the restaurant. We were booked for self-catering, but the food in the restaurant was excellent - we will be half board on our next visit. We can strongly recommend this hotel and can't wait to return. Thank you Costa Sal for a fabulous winter break. Pauline and Rob

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank pbpaulineb
Gerhanlon, Director of Sales at Costa Sal Villas and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your lovely review.
Here at Costa Sal, the whole team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we are delighted that you booked with us on the back of the comments on TripAdvisor.What better way to find out about our little gem but from the people who stay here?
We hope that this was the first of many trips and that you will become a member of the lovely ( and ever increasing) Costa Sal family!
We are delighted you enjoyed the food in the restaurant, and it is a great endorsement that you plan to book half board when you return.
Thanks again for the review, and i will pass your kind comments on to the team.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Visited the Costa Sal from 19th Dec for 1 week. We were very pleased to be upgraded on arrival to Suite. S10'. What a beautiful apartment. Spotlessly clean with everything you need for a great holiday. Complex itself was very well kept and a short walk to the beach and shops. We went half board and cannot praise the food enough. Served to your own table by excellent friendly staff. Thanks to Sandra, Janice and all the team for making us feel so welcome . Christmas Day and evening was brilliant. Only wished we could have stayed for the New Year. Would recommend the Costa Sal to anyone wanting a perfect holiday in Lanzarote and can't wait to return ourselves.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank tomosLondonEngland

Once again it give me great pleasure to read the lovely reviews from our happy guests.
All of us here at Costa Sal are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially at such a special time of the year.
I can will pass on your comments to the head of housekeeping Mary, who has a brilliant team who work hard to keep everything pristine.
We are delighted to hear yet another guest rave about the food. Dominic and the team endeavour to deliver the best freshest food possible. And fomr the comments here on Tripàdivsor ; I think they must be succeeding.
I will pass your comments on toe Sandra and Janice and all the team.
I have to agree, Christmas Day and night were brilliant and it was a joy to spend it with all of you. Hope we will see you again in the neat future and maybe again next Christmas. Please pass on the word to your friends and family.
Thank you for taking the time to write this review-.
It really is lovely for all the team to get recognition for their hard work.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We have just returned from the Costa Sal - it’s a really lovely complex. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment - it was a fab size, lovely sized balcony (with 2 sun loungers) kitchen fully equipped if you don't want to eat out.

Everywhere in the complex is clean, our apartment was spotless, the cleaning staff do a fantastic job, the lady that came into apartment was very pleasant - nothing was too much trouble for her.

The shower did go hot and cold as some other reviews have stated, however we found if you don't have the shower on full it stays at the same temperature throughout - you only need to lower it slightly. The 2 bedrooms both have twin beds, we found the beds comfortable, however I think 1 bedroom should have a double bed, but that is just our preference.

We only used the main pool - it was a little chilly, however it was January so it was to be expected really. We didn't use the bar/restaurant so I can’t comment on these.

We were lucky with the weather only 1 cloudy day out of 7, most days it was around 20-22 degrees.

The resort is fairly quiet, but that suited us fine, the beach is very clean. The airport is close, but it doesn't disturb you at all. There are a few restaurants in the shopping centre to the left on the beach front and more if you walk a little further around the resort (go right at the beach front).

Overall the Costa Sal is a great place to stay, lovely staff and very comfortable accommodation, we will return in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family