My boyfriend and I have just returned home for a 22night stay at the Bitacora and had a great time.
In a nutshell
ROOMS : spacious and clean with 2 single beds in the bedroom, bath shower sink and toilet in the bathroom, large wardrobe, and toaster, kettle, 2 ring hob and microwave in the kitchen, plus all the utensils you'd need. In the living area was a sofa, chair and TV with lots of English/irish channels.
POOL/BAR : good sized pool for the hotel (not big enough to do lengths in though) with plenty of sunbeds and parasols. Note: in the summer months be prepared to get out there and get a sunbed early as they are quickly snapped up. Sometimes the pool man removes unused towels after 30 mins of non-use, but only in the morning. Bar serves good food at reasonable prices e.g. English breakfast 3.50euro and a large local beer 2.50euro. There is entertainment on 3 nights a week, (BBQ, drag show and Karaoke) but even in the height of summer this often got cancelled as there was a lack of interest. This meant that some nights the bar was closed up at 8pm, where as other nights it was open to the early hours. I guess if there is enough people drinking it will stay open.
CLIENTELE : mainly families with young children or younger couples. There were a few youngsters on drinking holidays, but they were mainly nocturnal appearing at the pool late in the day and disappearing late into the night causing no bother.
LOCATION: there is an onsite shop for all your immediate needs, but there is also a hipperdino supermarket on the next corner and 2 spars further down the road that are a little cheaper if your planning to eat in. Its a 5 min walk into the new town zig zaging your way down the hill, or a 10 min walk into the old town. In the new town you'll find plenty of restaurants and bars severing a range of Tex mex, Chinese, Asian and Indian food. lots do three course meals for under 10euros a head. Further down in Atlantico CC are the late night bars and clubs serving 2 for 1 cocktails and pounding out the music till 6am. In the old town you'll find much nicer scenic restaurants serving fresh fish off the boats in the harbour, steaks and other dishes of the day. You'll pay a little more but its worth it. Watching the sun set with a jug of sangria is a great way to start the evening. On the way down the hill you'll pass Biosphere shopping mall where there is a mcdonalds with a burger king just over the road if that's what your after. In terms of the bars, there are LOTS and I mean LOTS of irish bars, each with live music most nights, or quizzes. We enjoyed Brian Boru and Craic N Ceol. If you want to watch the football Oreileys has loads of TVs showing at least 6 different games at a time (new town) and The inn place is a good spot too (old town).
BEACH : playa Grande the main beach is big with sun beds and pedal boats with slides. The sand is black and gets VERY hot so don't forget your flip flops. There are toilets and showers in the centre only. Playa Chica is where you'll find the water sports centre, good fun watching people jump off the pier all day.
TRIPS : tourist ticket and last minute travel do a range of trips and days out which I think we did most of!
DRAG SHOW - We went to the drag show at Music Hall Tavern which is certainly worth a visit. Id have gone again if we hadnt have left it so late. Very funny and family friendly.
SHORT SOUTH TOUR - We also did the short south tour which includes a stop in Yazia for a coffee, wine tasting(yuk!!), a camel ride (must do but extra cost) the crater tour and the trip to Timanfaya which is the volcan grill. Here you can get a meal cooked over the heat of the volcano. You can also do the Volcan Grill trip with only includes the meal in the evening.
NORTH TOUR We then did the North tour, which is much different to the south. We went to the tropical bird park where I got to feed the penguins and the otters and saw a parrot show, We then headed to a view point for photos and a buffet style lunch with wine at a typical canary restaurant. From there we headed to Jameo Del Agua one of Ceasar manrique's creations and onto the foundation. A great trip to see the nrth side of the island.
TEGUISE MARKET (sunday) we got the 4euro bus to teguise market and spent most of the morning sampling the food they had. Its not the best market but if you want nicknacks, sunglasses 'designer' bags etc get haggling and im sure youll find a bargain.
RANCHO TEXAS a great day out for everyone. parrot show was good, sea lion show was really cute, and birds of prey show was amazing as they fly so low you think they might land on you. Lots of animals to see and watch being fed, and then there is the new pool and slide area to go a swim in if its a nice warm day.
SPORT FISHING LANZAROTE This was my favourite of all trips. Not having fished much Loui was a great host and I caught a fish within minutes of getting my rod. later that day we caught a 6ft shark and a massive sting ray. made my holiday this trip did.
GO KARTING they will come and pick you up from your hotel and drop you off again later so don't worry about transfers. 30 euros will get you plenty of lap time and with 6 or more people you can have a competition.
FUERTAVENTURA for 45 euros you can do a trip to the neighbour island which is another bus tour taking in the beautiful scenery and gorgeous sand dunes at La Olivia beach. Price includes dinner, but I think there was a cheaper option that was just the boat trip to Correlajo.
WATER SPORTS down on playa chica you can get loads of water sports packages ranging in price to include jet ski hire, banana boat rides, paragliding and more. There are also loads of dive centres which id research more if your planning on doing this. Having dived in Tenerife already I saved my money.
Overall a great holiday. we had lots of fun, with plenty to do, some lovely food and great days out sight seeing. If you are a family with young children the Bitacora is a great cheap getaway with clean affordable accommodation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- If you are looking for good value and great location, quiet, yet within easy walking distance of the old town, and main promenade, then look no further. Our 2 star complex is clean and well appointed. All apartments have kettle, toaster, microwave, fridge and 2 ring hob. The bedroom has 2 single beds. The living room has a sofa which doubles up as a single bed. The apartments sleep 3. But if kids are small (under 12) we can take a 4th person. For this you have a rollaway bed, and a supplement of 5 euro per day. Cots for infants are free. We change the sheets once a week, towels twice a week and clean your apartment 3 times a week. If you require extra towels, sheets, you can order these from reception for a charge. We have one block which has air con. This is the block with pool view and sun all day long. The supplement for the air con is 5 euro per day. From June to end of October, we do not accept requests for this block, as it is only available for those who wish to avail of the aircon (and pay the 5 euro supplement). Our TV, which is free, has ITV, Sky News, BBC1, RTE 1 and RTE 2. We have a friendly family run pool bar which provides breakfast and snacks throughout the day. 3 nights a week there is dinner and entertainment. Reception is open from 09.00 to 13.00 and from 16.00 to 21.00.WE NOW HAVE WIFI! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, TravelUp, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Bitacora Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bitacora Club Hotel Puerto Del Carmen
- Bitacora Hotel Puerto Del Carmen
- Bitacora Club Lanzarote/Puerto Del Carmen