“Standards slipping”

Seaside Los Jameos Playa
Ranked #10 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We arrived 13/2/14 for 10 days, Friday was hot and since then (now 18/2/14) it has been very windy and raining hard, that's the luck of the draw coming in Feb, after all its still there winter here. Affived early evening, no offer of a glass of Carla as on recent trips, but decided after being shown to our room, we would go straight to dinner. as you will see from my previous reviews ( having been here 6x in the past 12mths) the food has been great, but at the moment it's no way near as good, there is nowhere near the selection of cold meats and cheese as previous visits. There seems to be people walking around for 15/20 mins or so looking for a table with no help from staff, although I see our German friends seemed to be escorted by staff! Breakfast next morning, the fried potatoes were cold, as we're the beans, not even Luke warm and this has remained since our stay, the bread rolls are rock hard and you have to wait ages to get coffee served to your table, 1 day we asked twice and gave up. As I say the rain has been with us along with the wind for the past 4 days, this meaning the floor come evening in the restaurant was very wet. There are pool towels flung over the floor, assuming to mop up the wet, but nobody is mopping it up, a accident waiting to happen IMO. Wheelchair users and a great deal of elderly clients struggling to move around without slipping, surly it would not take too long to get this sorted. There are patio heaters on full blast on the terrace which everyone makes a beeline for so too much pushing and shoving and no staff to organise, people being pushed out of there seats just to sit under one...yes have seen it happen 3x! Again during evening meal, there is only one chef darting from one end to the other serving fish and meat on the grille, I asked for 2 rare steaks and by the time he came back from cooking at the fish end, my steak was burnt! Again, it's UK half term and its busy, why do they not have 2 chefs cooking? Vegetables are again cold and stogey, not what have been used to before. the last couple of nights there has been a lentil propping the roof up over the cavern and water dripping on to you whilst you wait to be served, just not acceptable in my mind. Children running round the restaurant with not a parent in sight, again one slips and nobody came to offer any assistance at all, yes they should be supervised but the floor is so wet, obvious it was only a matter of time before this happened. I appreciate we can't control the weather but actions need to be taken and put in place to prevent this surely?

the pool bar has been closed since Friday, due to nobody being by the pool due to the bead weather, this meaning they have opened up the bar inside where the evening entertainment is shown, one person serving from 11am till 3pm, unless you sit down inside you have to wait ages to be served at the bar, m one occasion we were told to sit down inside and someone would take our order, I said we were sat outside on the terrace but nobody comes out...they just looked blank, shrugged there shoulders and off they went!

the kids club has been a blessing due to the weather but there is only one person with what I counted yesterday 15 kids...maybe another helper would be advisable?

there has been no English TV since we arrived, which I asked about at the weekend, to be told they are looking into it. BBC News is all they can offer!

The pools are freezing, although they say one is heated....it's not! The hairdressers is closed for refurb, the daytime entertainment is hit and miss as its not advertised very well and usually they have someone on a microphone telling you what's going on before hand.

Our room is in a good quiet position,but the maid has not cleaned to the standards we have become use to on previous visits, with the rain, the floor has become mucky and not cleaned properly the bath towels have smelt damp and stale, the pool towels we were given have got rips and holes in.

Overall, we are far from impressed, I am bringing family out in a couple of months and to be honest am not looking forward to it as I have praised this hotel to the hilt!

I do hope things improve as we have paid a lot of money for both stays and would like to think these things do not happen on our next stay, however, I will be looking to have a Plan B for our summer holiday this year.

Room Tip: standard rooms although ground level do us OK.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank dorisando
B_Sekula, Manager at Seaside Los Jameos Playa, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear Seaside Los Jameos Playa Guest,

Thank you for your feedback posted on Tripadvisor.

As you stayed with us several times in the past and always had a wonderful time we truly regret to hear that this time we were not able to meet your expectations.

Please accept my sincerest apology for the shortcomings that you experienced!

We left a message in the room for you and I truly regret that you did not give us the opportunity to speak with you about your comments whilst you were still here - therefore I would really appreciate if you could contact me directly under: direccion@los-jameos-playa.es

We hope you give us another chance in the near future to show you our commitment to quality and service.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed February 15, 2014

This is our second visit to this lovely hotel and it lived up to expectations.
Lovely room with fruit wine and Cava already there for us. Next day being my birthday more bubbly was delivered
Tranquil grounds with lots of seating and Areas for families plus a children's club.
Plenty of seating areas within hotel and evening entertainment also a Piano bar
Good food freshly cooked at the grill from your choice , always different fish and meats to choose from , good salad selection and lovely desserts.
Just across the road from a long beach and promenade , far enough away from Puerto Carmen to be peaceful but near enough if you like a bit of shopping and restaurants.
Staff always friendly and helpful will certainly be returning

Room Tip: Third floor overlooking pool good views , ground floor away from main building quieter
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cynmar44
B_Sekula, Manager at Seaside Los Jameos Playa, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Seaside Los Jameos Playa Guest,

Thank you very much for your 5-star-review about your recent stay here in our lovely Seaside Los Jameos Playa ****.

We are glad to read that it has been your second stay with us and that you once again had a great week with us on Lanzarote. I am delighted to hear that you have continued to enjoy your stay with us and appreciated our hospitality and the excellent food.

It is so nice to hear that you class our hotel as one of your favourite hotels!

Thank you again for your valuable feedback, and please do not hesitate to contact us if we may be of any assistance in the future.

We wish you all the best and hope to welcome you again soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed February 13, 2014

This Hotel was recomended to me by a friend, they have visited 3 or 4 times.
Everything was as they said ,
The gardens and pool areas are just lovely, with plenty of sunbeds set all around so no need to rush out early to get one .
We asked for a room near to the facilities as my husband isn't too great at walking.
We had 2050 , it was a 3 minuite walk at most from reception with a lovely view over the whole gardens, its only downside was in January it doesn't get the sun in the afternoons.
We found all the staff very polite and helpful, and everywhere was spotlessly clean.
The food is great , you can have as much as you like and its was nice to be able to try different foods from other Countries on the theme nights. The sweets are to die for , they do lovley small portion sizes of deserts so you can have 2 or 3 different ones , or a bowl of rice pudding .
Gala night they do a special selection of cakes, they are decorated so beautiful it seemed a shame to cut into them 5* i have to say.
We travelled with Jet2 and everything was on time and arrangements and transfers worked brilliantly.
Through the bottom garden gate brings you onto the front with a nice amount of shops and bars, bike hire and excursions.
You can walk onto Puerto del Carman by road in about half an hour or walk across the beach, paddling all the way :).
We hired one of the 2 seater bikes and went onto the airport runway end where the planes come in right over you, i love that and then on the way back stop for a refuel at The Aussie bar for a cold beer.
The evening entertainment is very good and varied, something for everyone, or sit in the piano bar for a more gental evening.
Kids have a mini club dureing the day and a mini disco in the evening before the other entertainment starts, those girls love to keep those kids happy, we used to go in for our coffee and ended up singing along, very catchy.
We did meet one lady who was a wheel chair user and she had an arrangement for the pool boy to meet her at the pool at 1 everyday and he had a special chair that he used to put her in and wheel her into the pool for her dayly swim, she loved it, they have been going to this hotel 3 times a year or more for years.
So to finish with , i can recomend this hotel whether you go all inc or just b and b and eat out some nights . I hope you enjoy it as much as we did :)

Room Tip: 2050 has a fab view and is near all facilities, but doesn't get the sun in January in the aftern...
4  Thank Jan532
B_Sekula, Manager at Seaside Los Jameos Playa, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Jan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a friendly review about our Seaside Los Jameos Playa****.

We are very glad to read that you had a great time on the beautiful island of Lanzarote and in our hotel.

It is a pleasure for us to hear that you enjoyed our spacious pool areas, our marvellous tropical gardens, our clean and beautiful rooms and the surroundings. Furthermore, the positive comments about our restaurant and the entertainment are much appreciated. Be sure that we already passed your warm and kinds words to our staff. Feedbacks like yours are a great motivation for all of us to maintain the high standards and excellent quality that we offer to our valued guests.

Once again, thank you very much and we would be delighted to welcome you again here in our lovely resort.

With sunny regards,

Reviewed February 11, 2014

My wife and I stayed in November all inclusive and were really impressed with the hotel. Food was excellent and really enjoyed the outdoor dining area. Stayed in the hotel more than we had planned as we were disappointed with entertainment in the Puerto Del Carmen area. However hotel entertainment was ok and all staff worked hard to please.

Room Tip: We asked for room with sea or garden view. We could just about see the sea and the garden view not g...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank simeonconnor

Dear Seaside Los Jameos Playa Guest,

We thank you very much for reviewing your holiday in our Seaside Los Jameos Playa **** here on Tripadvisor.

Your feedback is much appreciated and it makes us feel proud to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
It is a pleasure to hear, that everything was to your liking and we would be delighted to welcome you again as our guests here in our beautiful resort in Lanzarote.

Thank you again, we wish you all the best!

Reviewed February 11, 2014

My wife and I stayed here in late January, our second visit to this hotel. Generally this hotel deserves its rating on trip advisor.

It is well looked after and always kept clean, especially the rooms. The chambermaids were really the unsung heroes of the staff. Equally the waiting staff were very good and worked incredibly hard at peak meal times. All of the meals are buffet style but the staff are very responsive to clearing tables quickly and will quickly bring tea or coffee when you sit down for breakfast, or getting drinks in the evening. A covered patio area is very popular for eating when the weather is ok but we experienced some windy chilly days which put some pressure on the inside dining area. We always found the reception staff to be helpful.

The food quality is good rather than excellent but this is to be expected in a busy buffet operation. This hotel can have 1000 plus guests at a time. Don't expect prime cuts of meats, but you can expect a good variety of tasty dishes, a carvery and excellent fish cooked on a hotplate while you wait. There is always a good choice of salads. Occasionally things run out completely, but more often if you wait replenishment does happen. This is not a place to start your diet!

We had an all inclusive deal with First Choice which was good value even for moderate drinkers but it excluded many international brands but there was still a good choice. We like a simple "something" to eat at lunch time and we calculated that the AI was worth 20 or 25 Euro each a day.

Our expectations of hotel entertainment is always low (spoilt by cruises) but this place was much better than we expected with some excellent shows. Good bar waitress service.

Some points to note. They say the restaurant is open till 9.15 pm, but this is the time they start clearing the buffet - be warned if you are a late eater.

In poor weather when the outside bars areas are wet or too windy there was not a place inside to drink until 6pm. We felt they should open the piano bar earlier on such days.

Family rooms are offered to couples in the off season. They generally don't have the best views but with the other beds removed there is lots of space.

If you wish to hire a car try Cabrera Medina outside the back of the hotel. This business is all over the island. We had a weeks hire, upgraded to an Astra, for 120 euro including all insurances. We have used them before and they do not worry about minor damage. I find it a joy to be given an already battle scarred vehicle! I still photograph it before taking it out but never had to use photos. They don't even bother to check the car when you return and they don't take a deposit.

You can change £ to euro at many small shops including one at the rear of the hotel from 118 to 122 (yes I actually saw 122). I now take a only a small amount of Euros with me on Canary breaks these days.

The hotel is very near the airport (it doesn't disturb residents) and the taxi journey costs about 8 euro.

The promenade is easy walking both ways, generally flat. About 40 mins to the end of the runway, which is interesting to some, but with a longer walk to Puerta del Carmen past lots of shops and cafes.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are the best. Familiy rooms for couples who want space.
7  Thank greaterspotted
B_Sekula, Manager at Seaside Los Jameos Playa, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Dear Seaside Los Jameos Playa Guest,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor and for highlighting some of our strong points.

First of all we are glad to learn that it has been a very good holiday and that you appreciated the nice rooms, the good food and the attentive service.

We are especially delighted to read that our all-inclusive offer was to your great satisfaction and that we met your expectations in regards to the evening entertainment.

Please be informed that when it is very windy or rainy we offer drinks and food in our Belingo Bar instead of the Pool Bar.

Once again we wish to thank you for your friendly review and hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed February 10, 2014

My experiences of this hotel are probably very different to the average guest. I arrived at the reception on a quite busy Sunday lunchtime in January, I had been booked in by my travel insurance company as my husband was very ill in a nearby hospital, even though I had a booking confirmation number I was told that I didn't have a booking and that they were full. I explained that my insurance company had definitely booked me a room the day before, the receptionist assured me that was not possible as they don't take bookings on a Saturday. I immediately contacted my insurance company who assured me I did have a booking and in fact they had already paid in full, they then spoke to the receptionist to try and clarify the situation I was told to sit and wait, so I did, for two hours, during which time nobody approached me or made me any wiser as to what was happening. I rang my insurance company again to see if they had managed to sort anything out with the hotel, which they had an hour and half before, so I went back to the reception desk to check and I was told yes it was sorted but I would have to wait till my room was ready, which I totally understand but it would have been nice if they had had the courtesy to have told me this earlier instead of just leaving me sitting not knowing whether I was staying or leaving.
The room I was given was fine, nothing to complain about but nothing special, the cleanliness was generally good and the room was quite well equipped. The bed was comfortable and had good quality bedding with spare pillows if needed. I had been told that I was all inclusive so I did have an evening meal, which was nice, there was a very good salad bar and the freshly cooked fish was very good although the rest of the cooked food looked a bit self service cafe rather than restaurant fare. It was also a little bit bewildering if you had just arrived. The following day I was told that they had made a mistake and in fact I wasn't all inclusive I was bed and breakfast, but they very kindly didn't charge me for my meal or drink from the previous evening.
This time around I stayed in this hotel for two nights as they were then full although I did return three days later for a second two night stay and this time my checking in went relatively smoothly although I will say again that the reception staff although not rude are not particularly friendly or helpful.
On the whole this is a nice hotel but not an exceptional one, the rooms are a little dated and in need of a bit of a spruce up, the public areas are nice and if you are after a uncomplicated all inclusive it probably fits the bill.

Room Tip: A pool view is definitely worth asking for.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank MargeWestYorks
B_Sekula, Manager at Seaside Los Jameos Playa, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear Marge,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.

We are sorry to hear the reason for your stay was unfortunate and hope that your husband is recovering well.

Thank you for mentioning your well equipped room, its cleanliness and the nice evening meal you enjoyed.

We were very glad that you chose to return to our Seaside Los Jameos Playa **** after your first short stay.

Please understand that as your booking required credit card payment on arrival that we had to clarify the payment issue with your insurance company first, which unfortunately took them nearly two hours. However we were glad that we were able to offer you an upgrade to a higher room category, since the category which had been booked was not available anymore. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and for having failed to meet your expectations in regards to the Check-In. Be assured that we already shared your comments with our team.

Furthermore we would like to let you know that we are gradually updating and refurbishing all our rooms.

Once again we wish to thank you for your feedback and wish you and your husband all the best.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed February 10, 2014

My wife and I have just returned from 2 weeks in the Los Jameos Playa in Puerto del Carmen.
This is an excellent hotel - best all inclusive hotel we have stayed in, with excellent friendly staff.
The food is excellent, though with the cool weather we had, the hot food, which was cooked outside, cooled down quickly as you queued and went round collecting vegetables etc.
Another problem, which is common to all inclusive hotels we have visited are the toasters! They usually had one faulty element and required 3 or 4 passes of the bread to get it reasonably brown.
We had excellent accommodation, a ground floor family room with a comfortable bed flat screen TV with more than 20 English speaking channels including Sky Sports and Sky Movies and excellent bath/shower.
One disadvantage we found were the hotel guests. Many of our continental friends, avoided eye contact and looked as if they were attending a funeral rather than enjoying themselves on holiday. There are 530 rooms in the hotel but only 5 or 6 guests participate in the poolside games.
There were plenty of very comfortable sun loungers - though the hotel was not full at the end of January.
The gardens are magnificent, extremely well kept, with a great variety of trees, catcii and a large fish pond.
The hotel is located about 1 hours walk from the old town of Puerto del Carmen. Although there is a bus stop outside, the buses, which come from Costa Teguise, are invariable full. The hotel should consider laying on a bookable shuttle bus a few times a day for a nominal charge.
All in all we had a great holiday and when the weather improved during our second week there were a few more happy faces around.

3  Thank Jim L

Dear Jim,

Thank you so much for posting such a positive review about your stay here with us.

First of all we are glad to learn that it has been a very good holiday and that you appreciated the good rooms, excellent food, our beautiful pool- and garden area and the attentive service.
We are delighted that you chose our Seaside Los Jameos Playa**** as your holiday destination and very happy that the quality of our all inclusive was able to exceed your expectations.

We apologize that obviously, our toaster was not working 100 % correctly during your stay. We would like to inform you that this has been repaired and we thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Since we strive to maintain and continuously improve our high standards, the constructive feedback and suggestions from our guests are of great importance to us.

Once again, we thank you a lot for having stayed with us and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards from Lanzarote,

#1 of 91 in Puerto Del Carmen
La Isla Y El Mar Hotel Boutique
La Isla Y El Mar Hotel Boutique
#4 of 91 in Puerto Del Carmen

Been to Seaside Los Jameos Playa? Share your experiences!