“A Long Review but Worth Reading”

Seaside Los Jameos Playa
Ranked #9 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 15, 2012

A Long Review but Worth Reading!

I must say that Trip Advisor is really a good source of information when you are travelling. I always check Trip Advisor before I book a hotel and I end up satisfied because I know what to expect. The reviewers’ tips, particularly for Jameos La Playa Hotel were really so helpful and useful. I checked other reviews for hotels at Puerto del Carmen and found Jameos to be the top hotel there based on the reviews. And right, the hotel is ideally situated because it’s just about 20 minutes from the Arecife airport. A first glimpse of the very Spanish hotel gives you already a Mediterranean feel. Inside, at the reception, the whole lobby is very spacious with lots of tables and divans for lounging, giving a tropical feel. The Piano Bar is just in one corner of the lobby and this lobby is also where people can get free Wi-Fi.

Wi-Fi Sucks!
And this is a first useful tip that I read on Trip Advisor. Yes, they are correct in saying that the wifi sucks in Jameos and to forget about it. Apart from being slow, one loses the connection every now and then and most of the time, you’d find yourself waiting for 15 minutes for a page to load. There is a cyber corner where there are about 5 of 6 working computers where you can use the Internet for 2 euros per 30 minutes. Even that is very slow and most of the time, it closes on me even before I am able to hit the send button for my messages, just because the time is up. Management should do something about fixing the wifi system and maybe get a provider so that guests can also have the option to pay for wifi connection in their rooms. There was one 4 star hotel in Ibiza where I stayed last year where the free wifi works all the time and there is no problem connecting. There was also a cyber corner where you can pay for Internet connection. And, there is also an option to buy wifi for 15 euros per 24 hours. Jameos should really act on this issue very fast because even if the guests are on vacation, technology is also needed to check on matters back home or the office. People still need to connect fast to the outside world.

Such a Nice Room but So Little Time!
Now back to the review. Arrival and checking in is smooth and fast and the receptionists are nice. There’s a valet that gives children an already-inflated blue seahorse that can be used as a floater for the pool as a welcome present.This in itself already provides excitement to children. The valet then hauls your luggages to the room. This is very convenient especially after a long tiring flight. We took a family room and was so lucky to have a corner space that provided a feel of our own home because we had our own hallway to get to the door of our room. Others are located next to each other just like in a hotel but we have our own entrance, at the LOBOS. And we are very near the poolside which means we are centrally located so it was so convenient. And then you open the door and you will see a very clean room with a cozy, homey feel. Flatscreen TV is incredible because on our third day, the channels were upgraded and you will be amazed at the numbers of stations you can get on the TV. German, French, Dutch, Italian, Spanish of course, Russian, British are among the TV stations you can get. They even have diverse international radio stations. Too bad, at Jameos, there are so many things to do other than being a couch potato and all the time we spent on TV were only to wait for each other dress up.

Sunbed Mania!
Another useful tip I got from Trip Advisor is how to reserve the sunbeds. I followed the tip and got down at 7:30 am every morning to save two beds and wait until 9 am for the opening of the cushions stock room. The guests (at least during the week that I stayed) are all very disciplined and polite. As soon as the guy who opens the door walks by, people start lining up the door and get the cushions. Each guest wait for his turn and this goes very smoothly. Most people are saving their sunbeds as early as 6 am but I didn’t see any complaints. And I am able to get the same spot every morning. It seems that people are so disciplined enough to stay in same spot but work hard for it because that means you have to wake up as late as 7:30 am to save a sunbed that is very near the pool. Otherwise there are plenty of sunbeds around the pool area. I don’t agree with other reviewers here in Trip Advisor that management has to do something with the way people save their sunbeds. Everybody goes to Lanzarote to get the sun and it’s fair the way people reserve their sunbeds because it is not easy to get up early (even before the sun is up) just to reserve the beds, every single morning of your holiday. First come, first served but this case, first come equals more fun under the sun.

A Banquet of Food!
Food is good and plentiful. There is buffet every morning, lunch and dinner for the all-inclusive guests. Every night there is a different country theme for dinner so you are provided different options. There are also hot and fresh fish and meat that are cooked right in front of you. There’s fresh waffles and crepe cooked in front of you every 4 pm with a table lined up with different sauces, toppings and ice cream to go with them. The plain waffles and crepes are already very good without any topping.

Bottomless Drinks!
The drinks are all good. Branded softdrinks, cocktails, alcohol, cava are all available. My only problem is the coffee. I really can’t drink the coffee there. Even the espresso from the machine tasted like instant coffee.

No Dull Moment Inside the Hotel!
There are so many activities and kudos to the animators who keep the people, especially the teenagers and kids entertained. The water aerobic is highly recommended. The instructor is so awesome and fun to follow and this is one way of getting a tan without being bored for an hour and at the same time burn calories without even feeling the pain of a strenuous exercise. Two animators namely Jose and Idaira are also very good at keeping the adrenalin level of teenagers and kids high. One just wonders where they get their energy. They are friendly and very helpful.

Miscellaneous
I’ve been advised to take lots of mosquito repellent but I’ve never encountered any mosquito while at Jameos for one week.

There is a souvenier shop and two groceries about 5 minutes from Jameos if you run out of toiletries or if you just plain want to bring something from home.

While you are there, you can arrange a VIP tour with the hotel and it is a good deal considering you’d see most of the interesting parts of the island.

I don’t recommend buying the Strelizia or Birds of Paradise to take home. At the hotel, they offer to order for you a box of these popular flowers of Lanzarote to take home. I asked the reception if they are okay to take in the plane and they said they are okay because they sell them in the airport. When I got them on check out, it was such a long box. When we went to the airpot, I was just lucky that the ground stewardess allowed it to be checked in as a special baggage but without charging me anything.

Hotel Hearts Guests
Jameos is such a client-oriented hotel and serves to satisfy the needs of the guests. Everyone needs to check out at 12 pm regardless of their flights especially in the peak periods of July and August. But Jameos makes sure that guests who have late flights can still enjoy the hotel even after check out. All-inclusive guests can still avail of the food and drinks till 5 pm. There is a special room provided to store the luggages so you can still very much enjoy the last minutes at the pool or at the hotel even when you have already checked out. The hotel also allows you to use a complimentary room to shower and dress up before you catch your flight. There is also a fridge at the reception for those who bought tapas like chorizos and tortas to bring back home.

One important advice is not to bring home the soft cheeses of Lanzarote as they won’t be allowed in the airplane because the cheese can melt and turn into liquid from the heat.

We will definitely go back to Lanzarote and I suggest Jameos should start issuing fidelity/loyalty cards for the increasing number of satisfied and will-be-returning guests.

Room Tip: Families with kids should take the family room and try to book the LOBOS wing where it is very near...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank LouiGalicia
M_Kuckenburg, Manager at Seaside Los Jameos Playa, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear Seaside Los Jameos Playa Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to publish a review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us.

It is nice to hear that you decided to spend your holidays at our Seaside Los Jameos Playa**** after reading the comments on Tripadvisor. Moreover, it is a pleasure to know that we met your expectations.

We wish to inform you that by the end of this year there will be a free WiFi all over the hotel as well as in all our rooms. Due to the size of the hotel, we had to face many difficulties with this topic, but we are taking all the possible measures to ensure that the new connection will be more stable.

With delight we read that our cooks were able to spoil you with the carvery and the different buffets. We will be pleased to pass on your kind words to the rest of our staff, especially to Idaira and José.

We highly appreciate your words of praise and are already looking forward to welcoming you once more in our Seaside Los Jameos Playa****.

With best regards from Lanzarote,

General Manager Seaside Los Jameos Playa****

Write a ReviewReviews (3,988)

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Just returned from a two week stay at this hotel. As stated by most of the other reviews, it is a lovely hotel. Food is outstanding and plenty of choice for even the most fussy eaters. They really have thought of everything when it comes to the selection of food available. Hotel itself was spotless and our room was cleaned every day. Staff were very pleasant and always happy to help and always with a smile, especially David, he is an absolute credit to this hotel and my god is he quick. He flys round that piano bar like grease lightening I reckon he could give Usain Bolt a run for his money. The sunbed issue can be abit frustrating and we did have to get up early on the days we wanted to stay round the pool, otherwise there would have been no chance of getting one. One small niggle was the 30 euro charge for the safe, its a really classy hotel, and I felt this charge mared that alittle. Didnt see any of the evening entertainment, as ther oom it was held in was too small to accomodate all the guests, so could never get a seat. was no big problem for us as we went for a walk and then to the piano bar instead. I was very impressed by this hotel and would reccomend i,t and can cleary see why it has won so many awards.

Room Tip: La palma side was quiet Air con great
4  Thank emzie1992
M_Kuckenburg, Manager at Seaside Los Jameos Playa, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Dear Seaside Los Jameos Playa Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us and other holiday makers on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to hear that you fully enjoyed your holidays with us and that our hotel and its installations were to your full satisfaction.

Moreover, it is nice to read that you relished our famous Seaside gastronomy with its themed nights and the wide range of regional and international specialties.

The safe facilities offered in our rooms are always upon request and at additional charge, you will find this to be a common practice in most four star hotels.

By having sings and referring personally to our guests, we inform them that the reservation of sun loungers is not permitted in our hotel before breakfast und trust that our guests heed the instructions. Especially during a period of high occupancy and during the school vacations, it can occur that we are not able to control all our guests.
Please be assured that our staff is always eager to help our guests to find a free sun bed.

Your opinion as a loyal customer is highly appreciated by us, as it helps us maintain and improve our standards. Furthermore, we thank you the kind words regarding our staff and especially concerning David. We will be delighted to pass on your words of praise and are convinced that he will be more than happy when reading them.

We look forward to welcoming you back on further holidays at our Seaside Los Jameos Playa**** and remain

with best regards

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I had contacted the hotel a few weeks before our honeymoon and asked for a flower bouquet with Cava, Fruits and wine.
All of this was provided with a personal welcome note. For our 1st dinner the hotel had dressed a table specially for us with colours matching our wedding colour themes! And red heart balloons!
The gifts continued with a lovely poem and chocolates. Specially folded turn down servicw for the bed which was a work of art itself.
Finally on departure the hotel gave us an Aloe Vera Gift box.
Overall impression. Staff, Hotel, value for money all excellent.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank michaelcairney

Dear Seaside Los Jameos Playa Guest,

As we value very much all comments of our guests, we are delighted to read that you had a fabulous honeymoon at our hotel.

It is nice to hear, that you enjoyed our little honeymoon surprises we had prepared for you for this very special occasion.

We highly appreciate your kind words and would be pleased to welcome you back on Lanzarote, soon.

With best regards

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed here 22nd July to 2nd August travelled with Thomas Cook,as a family of 3 with a 15 year old, stayed in a standard room, which was clean and plent of storage space,was a little cramped, with 3 adults in it, but there again only really slept in the room, it was a ground floor room in the La Gomera block, we could just see the sea Room 1105

Like everyone says the food is excellent, yes it gets the same but only for the greedy ones there is about 20 different main meal choices each evening, same as any restaurant, so if you had 1 different each night you didny have to have the same, salad at lunch time brill, only a suggestion why dont they put the meats out at lunch they would go well.

Drinks most were branded all the soft drinks came in bottles,not out of a dispenser, yes you did have to wait 5 mins some times to get served but relax you are on holiday. The Piano bar was lovely in the evening.

My daughter got into the activites and did some so plenty for teenages to do if they look for it, no staff forcing you to do anything We booked her for a day surfing with Lavaflow surf school excellent day out (will write review)

Sun beds, never had a problem only got down there for 8.30, yes sat there untill 9am as I saw the staff taking towels off and folding them up some days, went out a couple of times and came back after 2pm and still got beds,

All in all would definitely return and would recommend it to anyone. Enjoy!!!

2  Thank aimeesmum

Dear Seaside Los Jameos Playa Guest,

We wish to thank you for your evaluation published on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at our Seaside Los Jameos Playa****.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your holidays with us and had a great time at our Piano Bar. We also read with delight that your daughter had fun to join our animation activities.

Furthermore, it is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our well-known Seaside cuisine with the themed buffets as well as the wide range of regional and international food.

Once again, we thank you for your feedback and your words of recommendation.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back on Lanzarote and in our Seaside Los Jameos Playa****.

Best regards

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I Have just returned from 2 great weeks in jameos playa this is my families 2nd trip here in 3 months a little upset with room location had booked 2 interconnecting superior double rooms and had requested tenerife block as it was close to dining area and reception area as i am recovering from knee surgery and unable to walk far had e mailed and explained prior to arrival on arrival we were not allocated requested rooms in tenerife block even after explaining my reason for request nothing was done for us we were told hotel was full.As a repeat customer with a health issue who had informed the hotel months in advance i would have thought something should have been arranged in advance.Having said this we love this hotel and hope to return soon The Dining and bar Staff are an asset to any business.The service you recieve is second to none,This is a super family hotel in a great location with an amazing work force as my family travel to lanzarote quite a lot i am glad to have found a great hotel that i would and do recommend highly to everyone I just hope a little more attention was paid to guests requests by reception staff As in april this year and july 2012 requested rooms were not granted both times 1st time interconnecting rooms were booked but not available this time location of room was an issue,I think for a hotel like this hoping to keep repeat guests more care should be taken.

Room Tip: Pay extra for room with a view and say sea or pool .other than that if you have a request cross yo...
3  Thank KerryDirector

Dear Seaside Los Jameos Playa Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to publish your review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us.

We are delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed your holidays with us once more, but regret to hear about the inconveniences you had to experience regarding your room. We always try to fulfil our guest’s wishes, but especially during a period of high occupancy and during the school vacations, it can occur that we are not able to take all the wishes into consideration. Please accept our sincere apologies.

With pleasure we will pass on your nice words to our staff and are sure they will be very thankful for being included in your evaluation.

Once again, we wish to thank you for your honest words and we would be more than happy to welcome you back at our Seaside Los Jameos Playa****.

With best regards from Lanzarote

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed here at end of July. Lovely hotel with fabulous food. Would definitely recommend. Staff are so hard working making rooms and surrounding areas spotlessly clean. Very helpful reception staff.
The only negative thing is the sun bed fiasco. A few selfish people reserving sun beds at 8 in the morning so they could come and lie down at 4 in the afternoon was unbelievable!!
I would definitely stay here again

3  Thank Elaine H

Dear Seaside Los Jameos Playa Guest,

Thank you very much for publishing your comments on Tripadvisor.

With pleasure we read your feedback and are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

By having signs and referring personally to our guests, we inform them that the reservation of sun loungers is not permitted in our hotel and trust that our guests heed the instructions. Certainly it is very difficult to control every guest, but our staff is always endeavouring to find a free sun lounger for our guests.

Moreover, it is nice to hear that our well-known Seaside cuisine with its wide range of regional and international food was to your taste.

Once more, we wish to thank you for your feedback and hope to welcome you back on Lanzarote.

With kind regards

Reviewed August 10, 2012

This is our second visit in three years to this hotel and as with our last trip booked two rooms. Many aspects of the hotel remain unchanged, as on our previous visit the sunbed situation remains problematic, with some single family members charged at 7am to guard half a dozen beds and towels. Managements threats to remove towels appears to be just that, as is the case with an insistence on gentlemen wearing long trousers for dinner, little point in such rules if they are not enforced. I understand a phased refurbishment is underway, and indeed our rooms were clearly in need of refreshing. However, for us the greatest area of angst related to the decline in both the quality and speed of service which left us feeling let down. Complaining at having to change our room keys five times because they would not work, met with a shrug of indifference by reception. Waiting in a queue for up to 40 min to get a restaurant table, then having to queue again at individual food stations. Waiting at a bar for 15min to get a drink. The variety of food on offer is good, but not if your evening is spent queuing and you can’t get a drink afterwards.
There is little doubt the staff work very hard, however very obvious cuts to the numbers of staff (which we did confirm with several staff members) has resulted in an unacceptably poor level of service and means that we will not be going back.

Room Tip: Pack your own sunbed!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank elainefisher31
M_Kuckenburg, Manager at Seaside Los Jameos Playa, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Dear Seaside Los Jameos Playa Guest,

Thank you for your review published on Tripadvisor.

We are very sorry to read that this time we could not convince you of the high standards that our hotel offers and that we did not met your expectations to the full.

As you point out correctly, we introduced the rule that all the towels that are put on the sun beds before 9 a.m will be removed and put folded next to the sun beds. Our pool attendant also always tries to keep an eye on the sun beds throughout the day. We ask for your understanding, if we are not always able to find out, who has left his towel on the sun bed and did not come back for a couple of hours.

Moreover, we apologize for the waiting times at the restaurant. We understand that almost all our guests wish to sit outside on the terrace during dinner, therefore some of our guests prefer to wait for a free table. Of course, our guests have also the possibility to sit inside, where they usually always find a free table. The queuing at the buffet stations results in the fact that we prepare the hot food on time and at our guests’ taste, so it may take a little longer.

We really regret that we were not able to convince you of our service and would be more than happy if you give us another chance.

Best regards from Lanzarote

#1 of 91 in Puerto Del Carmen
Hesperia Lanzarote
Hesperia Lanzarote
#2 of 4 in Puerto Calero

Been to Seaside Los Jameos Playa? Share your experiences!