“Don't stay half board !!”
Review of Plaza Azul

Plaza Azul
Ranked #40 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Don't stay half board !!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Just returned from Plaza Azul on 17th March. Overall the apartments and surrounding pool areas are clean and well kept. As others have already mentioned the towels should be changed more often as a shower in the morning and one at night to wash the suncream off leave the towels rather wet. We were lucky as the weather was excellent during our stay and could therefore dry them at the back of the apartment. All the apartments are situated round the pool however some are positioned considerably better than others. At first we were given apartment B11 which is probably the only apartment that is south facing but looks at a wall about 3 metres away. We asked to change and moved into B19 on the other side of the pool which was slightly better as you could lie in the sun at the back of the apartment where there was 2 sunbeds if you didn't want to sit round the pool..
There are 64 apartments on the complex and most people were self catering. We soon saw why our Half board option was a mistake. We have stopped in many hotels in the Canaries and the half board option has always suited us with plenty of choice in the usual buffet style. For our first evening meal we sat down to a nicely set out table. The waiter came up and gave us a plastic coated Pool bar menu and asked us to choose 1 item from it or there was a special option of a Sirloin steak and salad and frozen chips. This special option continued for the rest of the week whether it was pork steak or chicken Always with salad and frozen chips. Every evening there was then the option of icecream or nothing.!!
The morning breakfast was slightly better with the option of full English or omelette or continental. The full English started off with 2 eggs 2 bacon and 2 sausage. By the end of the week it was 2 bacon 1 egg and 1 sausage ?
So overall its a good base to stay as it's only 5 minutes from the promenade and about in the middle of the strip but don't go for the Half board option. !!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MnD_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in February could not fault rooms cleaned 5out of the7days I was there linen and towels a bit dated but changed 3times.Pool adjacent to rooms and poolside bar does reasonable priced snacks.Room basic and dated but all fully equipped with kettle plates and cutlery etc would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have stayed in these apartments in all about 17 times over the past 10 years, sometimes as a couple and other time in a group, and I do love staying here and most of the staff are so so nice, but I must say I'm disappointed in the way they only change your towels twice a week, I think this is very unhygienic, and can't understand anyone being happy about it,, they use to be every day when I first came and then they went to every other day and now twice a week, this is bad, I shower twice a day and I'm sure most people at least shower once a day, I have brought this up to the manager and alto I never actually spoke to him, someone spoke to him for me, and all they can do is charge you extra on a daily basis, and usually costs 5 euro a day, atho they did offer it cheaper to me I don't think we should pay extra, I have enquired on other costs for towels from other apartments and they either change them every day or every other day and if u want every day it's only 2 euro charge, please other viewers give me your feed back am I being un reasonable? Being clean is very important to me, and I know when you dry yourself with a towel you take dead skin each time,

Room Tip: The b room are all on the ground floor, makes it easier for when your carrying your cases up
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vicky P
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Having been in Lanzarote many, many times in the past, it was our first time staying at this complex. We arrived in the evening and met by Leo at reception and we were checked in straight away. The apartments were spotless, a little small, but cosy and had everything we needed. Our room had sun all day, January temp 26 degrees when the sun was out 18/20 when it was cloudy which was one day! Thankfully. Rooms cleaned & towels 5/7 days. T.V had 3 English MOVIE channels, Sky & BBC News as well as CBS Drama & Action. (Nice to have it on in the Background) Kitchen had Microwave, toaster, kettle. The grounds of the complex were well kept, games room by reception, laundry, a small shop and the bar area which had all premiership games on big screens & Wifi which has a very short range. If they could extend the range throughout the complex, Ideal. The staff at the Plaza Azul work very long hours and absolutely nothing is a problem for them and they will answer all your questions. There is a well stocked Hippo-Dino supermarket near-by. The only things that i could not figure out was "Why is the water slightly brown when it comes out of the hot tap?" And Could you move where you hang the towels in the bathroom, Next to the toilet is not really ideal. We are due to visit again shortly so i'll keep ye posted!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank foodcritic20110
Cornwall
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The first apartment I was given would have never got any sun in January. Reception were very good trying to move everyone around but it wasn't possible to give everyone what they wanted. I got moved over to the sunny side on the second day, which was better but still didn't get a lot of sun (because of lots of obstacles). It only mattered so much because,although it was nice weather in the day it was really cold at night and early in the morning and with no heating the apartments were just freezing. I noticed some Spanish people had halogen heaters - maybe you could hire them. The blankets were thin and tiny too.

The pool area was quite nice and it was good to have some peace because I had just stayed in two hotels that had music blasting half the day. I think the pool was slightly heated because it wasn't as cold as the other places. The roof terrace has got the most amazing panoramic views but it was blowing a gale up there that week.

The apartments are really well equipped for self catering, with kettle toaster and microwave as well as two rings. The TV is free now- some apartments have ancient tiny portables and some have nice flat screens.

I booked B&B and things were a bit disorganised when I was there. It was supposed to be 9 till 11 (which is too late to be able to go on trips anyway) but was always later. For a few days guests had to go up the road to the Plaza Palmeras pool bar but it didn't open that early! The guys there were nice though and I got a good breakfast and because I am vegetarian they gave me extra things instead of the sausage and bacon.

When breakfast moved to the Plaza Azul it went very downhill. The coffee was make your own instant and I got a very small breakfast. They didn't seem to know what they were doing. I felt really sorry for the people who were half board. They had very little choice of food and it sounded rubbish. There would have been nothing for vegetarians from what I can make out.

The location was good - fairly near everything but quiet and with a big supermarket halfway to the strip. I would probably stay there again but self-catering.

The bar was always totally deserted when I was there so I never went in. I don't know what the prices were like.

Room Tip: Ask for the sunny side. Some apartments have front and back balconies/terraces which must mean you c...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
England
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My partner and myself stayed from 26 February till 8 March. This was a last minute change of apartments due to problems with bed bugs in the other one and what a great choice.
Although the weather wasn't great except for a few days the stay was excellent. All staff at these apartments are very helpful and friendly in keeping up a happy atmosphere there.
The complex itself is about 10 minutes from Playa del Carmen main strip down a gentle hill. The apartments are although dated and could do with refurbishment are clean and comfortable and have all you need for your stay but walls are paper thin so you can hear baby's screeming regularly (our case).
There were two bars at the complex one pool which did snacks and one restaurant bar in the evening which has just started to do bands/entertainment when we were there. All staff seemed to swap duties between pool and restaurant during the week and were all very friendly.
If we came back to Puerto del Carmen we'll definitely consider going back to Plaza Azul as it fulfilled all our criteria and made it a super relaxing break.

• Stayed March 2013
dorset
Reviewed March 8, 2013

8 of us have just returned from a week's half board stay here, (7 adults and a 2 year old). We all thought it was excellent value for money. The apartments were very clean and well equipped with kettle, toaster, microwave, 2 ring hob. Corkscrew, tin/bottle opener and a tea towel were all provided as were 2 bars of soap in the bathroom. We had a breakfast bar, a balcony with table and 3 chairs and free TV with a few English film channels. We liked the corner sofa arrangment as you could lay down if you wanted to. As our apartment was on the shady side of the complex and the weather was not all that good, we were cold for the first couple of nights although that wouldn't be a problem (and probably a god-send) if it was hotter.

The staff were all lovely and the half board option though a bit of a weird arrangement as it is all waiter service, (no help yourself buffets etc apart from a bit of salad in the evenings and ice cream) definitely was value for money. We ate out a few nights but all thought the food there was extremely good. You got a choice from the pool bar burger, pizza and mains menu and there was a special most nights which is what we usually had, (I had steak 2 nights). Josef in the restaurant was rushed off his feet taking orders, serving meals, cleaning tables and manning the bar but he was so friendly and helpful as was Leo on reception who we pestered with questions and requests a few times.

We have been to PDC 7 times before and have also tried self catering and all inclusive at other apartments but this is the first place we have stayed that we would go back to. The complex is spotless, lovely pool, happy hour from 4pm-5pm with real cocktails (not the pre-mixed type) and so handy for the main strip. There is a bit of a hill but nothing compared to some of the others in the area and it is pretty much slap bang in the middle of everything. We had a first floor apartment at the end of a block so we didn't have a problem with noise but it wasn't busy during our stay. The beds were fine, certainly not the worst I've slept in. We asked for 2 extra pillows on our way out on our first night and they were in our room when we got back (and were very comfy). We're not keen on blankets and sheets but unfortunately this is what you get when you are on holiday anywhere abroad be it a hotel or apartment.

I know that the management read these reviews from time to time so the only (hopefully constructive) criticisms I can come up with as nowhere is perfect are;

1. Towel rails right over the toilets are not hygenic and a towel could easily slip off into the loo. It would be better if these were moved away, perhaps screwed onto the unit under the basin.

2. There are no hairdryers provided which quite a few budget accommodations now offer and these would be a bonus because of luggage allowances being so tight.

3. Sunbeds were of the hard plastic slatted kind and non adjustable although I think you can hire cushions weekly from the pool bar

4. Teacups in the apartments were tiny so we borrowed some mugs from the dining room

5. Towels could do with being changed every other day - couldn't work out the cleaning system as some of us had clean stuff whilst some didn't. Went 3 days with the same towels which meant they were not pleasant by then as the weather wasn't good so we couldn't dry them out.

These minor things aside, we will definitely be back, hopefully for longer next time and we would go half board again. Reading the other reviews about the apartments being dated, all I can say is they obviously haven't been to any others in Puerto del Carmen because believe me, there are a lot worse for more money! Anyway, hopefully you don't go on holiday to sit in your apartment all the time and the postive points mentioned plus the extremely good free wi-fi more than make up for it. We had 4 apartments between us and the equipment and decor did vary but not so much that you would say there were good and bad ones.

If you have booked to stay here, you have no worries. I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.

Room Tip: Ground floor apartments have terraces back and front. We were in A19 (top floors are A, bottom floo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family