“Not all bad”

Ranked #30 of 92 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Staffordshire
“Not all bad”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We arrived on 21st November for 2 weeks All Inclusive with First Choice. Check in was smooth and not to bad. Were given directions to room which we tried to find but unfortunately the nice man on reception did not give us too good a direction but we eventually found it. The slopes to the rooms are horrible and not for the less mobile but once inside the blocks there is a lift but you cannot avoid any of the slopes when wanting to get around the hotel. Opened the door and was pleasantly surprised as we had booked a double room but we were given an apartment (you could have a party in the bathroom as it was so big). Shower brilliant as was the hairdryer. The apartment was light and airy and view not to bad we overlooked the children's play area and had a side sea view and was very quiet. Our maid was brilliant.

The location of the hotel is absolutely fantastic as you just go out of the gate and onto a great promenade which if you turn left takes you to the airport and you can see the planes take off and land and if you turn right this takes you along the promenade to Los Picollos and then onto Carmen, and straight ahead is a wonderful beach. The plane noise did not bother us and it was quit good watching them from our sunbeds.

The hotel is kept very clean and the garden areas are very well kept.

The pool area is not too bad but the beds are close together but we used to go to the grassy area to the right of the pool which was still close enough for the pool bar. The pool bar is self service for drinks and snacks if you are all inclusive which is at the back of the bar. There is a freezer in there where you can get tubs of ice cream, lollies and their version of cornetto's which are good again for all inclusive.
Pool towels are a bit of a con, this is the first hotel I have stayed in where you pay the deposit and cannot change the towel daily and if you do want to change it it costs.

The food was awful and not cooked enough the bacon was just put into a roasting pan and cooked so the sides would be cooked but not the underneath. You could ask whoever was cooking the eggs to put some on the griddle so that made it better. The restaurant doors are open early but no one gets to the egg stations until 8o'clock. Eggs sunny side up Yuk! but you can ask them to flip it. The one and only time I tried the salad there was a caterpillar doing a dance on my lettuce my husband took this to the gentleman outside the restaurant and he just took it away to the kitchen and not so much of an apology (Mr Manager). Also rabbit stew was available Yuk! for breakfast as was the chicken from the previous night and the spare ribs. There was also the usual french fries as well for breakfast .The microwave certainly got some use while we were there as the food was not hot enough it was only lukewarm, it is in the corner next to the bread. Yes they do cook steaks and fish but would advise you get them to leave them longer as they are not fully cooked. Fresh pineapple for me was a bonus.

Bar staff were good and drinks OK. On all inclusive there are two levels for drinks which I do not think 24 euros a day is worth the upgrade to gold!! The people there when we stayed certainly made us of the drinks as there were too many drunks and people just being loud and causing trouble. Which spoils the atmosphere. Entertainment usual type of thing. Entertainment team worked hard.

If not satisfied with room you can upgrade at a cost and I would ask for 2355 as we did but it was not available at the time it has to be be the best room/suite on site.

There seemed to be a lot of people in suits walking around but they need to get the basics right.

Would I recommend it then no.

Room Tip: 2355, if its free and you are willing to pay extra.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sollanzarote, Guest Relations Manager at Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear allycat1952,

I would like to thank you very much for your honest review. I am really sorry to read that overall we could not meet your expectations. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience that we may have caused to you during your stay.

I want to inform you that the breakfast time is from 08:00 till 10:30. We keep the restaurant open before 08:00 for those early check-outs, which is the reason you did not found the egg station available before time.

I would like to apologise on behalf of the team for the issue with the lettuce. You are completely right and the least we could do was to offer you an apology. The Head Chef was informed by then to make sure it does not happen again.

I would like to mention as well that we never reuse food from previous nights. All food served in the buffet is cooked the same day. The all inclusive Gold membership is just 12€ per person, 24€ as you mentioned is for two persons, and for this prize you have available international drinks up to 5 years, all cocktails, bottled drinks served on the table and fresh orange juice as well as expresso coffee during breakfast.

On the other hand I am glad to read that you found the fresh pineapple a bonus. I am happy as well for your positive perception of our rooms, location, and the staff.

Room 2355 does not exist but I presume you refer to room 2533. It is definitely a nice room, as all our Suites!
I hope we have the chance to have you again with us and create a better impression in all aspects. I am sure next time will be different!

Best Regards

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Puerto Del Carmen
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Hard beds,dirty floor,unfriendly staff,lousy food,nothing for children to do, dangerous playground,cold pool. Not as advertised.

This hotel really need to shape up, the food and the all inclusive menu was a rip off, the meat was raw and tasted like rubber. Internet was 30€ for one week and really slow. The resturant was terrible planned with steps and narrow spaces. Not possible to sit more than 4 pepole together.
Not recomended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

2 Thank Aage Daniel K
Sollanzarote, Guest Relations Manager at Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Aage Daniel K,

Thank you very much for giving us your thoughts about your recent stay with us as we take every single review into consideration for our future improvement. I am sorry though that you did not found the hotel to your satisfaction and that we could not meet your expectations. It would have been great if you could have addressed your suggestions to the management of the hotel so we could have improved your stay. I am concerned that you found our staff to be unfriendly as this is one of our best assets. My apologies for any inconvenience that we may have caused to you. Be sure I will share your comments with all of them.

I would like to mention your concerns in detail as follows:
In regards to the children we do have a daily activities program for them, as well as for adults, that is advertised or you can check them on our animation point, at the Flintstones Bazaar. Out of the three swimming pools we have one of them heated during winter season and we follow local regulations that cannot go over 26 degrees for healthy reasons. Therefore we do have a heated pool available and the temperature is checked by our SOS regularly (between 23 and 26 degrees).

I am sorry to read that you did not found our food to your liking. We precisely try to provide a good value for money and you can always find fresh products as well as meat and fish option cooked on spot. Of course in this case you can inform the chef the way you prefer the meat, rare, medium or well done and he will prepare it to your personal taste.

In regards to the restaurant, I would like to mention as well that we do have many tables available for more than 2 people in the restaurant lounge as well as in the terrace. Any of our waiters will be more than happy to assist you anytime and find the place required.

I am sorry once again for your personal experience and I hope we have another opportunity to make your stay much better.

Regards,

Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel very last minute and was a little worried when looking at the mixture of reviews on here, but we were not disappointed at all. We know Lanzarote very well and have always stopped in Costa Teguise before.

From the minute we arrived we knew we picked well. Reception made our rooms available within 20 minutes of arriving (arrived earlier then official check-in). We were upgraded to room 3404 and the other couple in our group were only two doors away. The rooms in my opinion were modern and spotlessly clean. Cannot fault them at all. Food was suburb fresh fish and meat cooked for you, great choice of fresh veg, salads etc, everything you could need. AI was a little chaotic in the evenings at the bar when it was busy, but the queuing system works. Entertainment was good, exactly what it says on the packet.

We were unfortunate to need to call for a Doctor 2am on the Saturday morning and reception were 10/10 in arranging this for us and the Doctor was great.

All in all a great break. Cannot fault it and we will definitely book again next year to come back and stay again. Thank you

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank julie s
Dear julie s,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am sure it will be very helpful for other people to decide visiting us in the future. I am happy to see that you found our hotel, rooms, our food and cleanliness to your satisfaction. I agree with you that our All Inclusive system works. We try not to make our guests wait for their drinks.
I hope your health problems on Saturday were resolved satisfactorily.

We look forward to have you back again next year!

Best regards,

Bray on Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2013

nice hotel but not 4 star. rooms nice. nice sea view, we had to change room because the bath was falling to bits staff very good this hotel needs painting outside and a good tidy up a lot of the sunbeds were broken, quite a lot of people were drunk most evening, and were very loud at night.

Room Tip: get a seaview rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Harold C
Sollanzarote, Guest Relations Manager at Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear Harold C,

First of all I want to thank you for spending your valuable time to share your recent experience with us. I am sorry to read that we could not reach your expectations on all aspects. Please note that we are in constant maintenance work throughout the hotel and we have recently started in deep with all furniture and painting of the rooms.

I am happy to read that you found the hotel nice. I just really hope you give us another opportunity as I am sure you will notice the difference in your next visit.

Our best regards,

Puerto Del Carmen
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Great location, great helpful staff, great entertainment especially for the kids. Clean hotel inside and out. Good variety of food, loads of fish for the fish lovers and a special thanks to Antonio the head chef and his team for preparing separate dishes for my wife as her being a full vegetarian. Well Done Sol for making our holiday a memorable one.
Highly recommend "The Taste of India" as the food especially the mix grill and service was excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

2 Thank Dilip Tribhowan... J
Dear Dilip Tribhowan... J,

Thank you so much for such nice words. Be sure that I will share your gratitude with the Head Chef and his team as well as the other departments. Making of your holiday a memorable one is our main target, so for us this is a complete success.

Your home in Lanzarote waits for you to come back!

Best Regards,

england
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We have just returned from a weeks all inclusive and having read previous reviews were concerned as to going all inclusive opposed to self catering, but all I can say is the food was fantastic plenty of choice and cooking stations so you could have your food cooked freshly in front of you.

We did on arrival upgrade to a sea view and we had room 3405 which had a fab view and the sun all day well worth the 84 euros we also hired a safe for the week at a cost of 18 euros.

Breakfast was vast from fruits, yogurt, cereal to fresh baked bread & full cooked breakfast, pastries cakes etc.
Lunch and dinner soup, vast salad bar and numerous cooked meats, fish . pizza etc and yummy desserts to be honest if you couldn't find anything to eat then you must be extremely fussy!
Hotel was clean and the room was big with a very big bathroom always plenty of hot water no matter what time of day and a good powerful shower , hairdryer in the bathroom was also powerful so no need to take your own.
We received clean towels every day and the room was cleaned at the same time , the room could have done with a fresh coat of paint but really very minor things, the bed was large and firm which suited us.
Drinks were fine and beer and wine was self service in the dining room along with fruit juice , soft drinks, tea, coffee etc.

We didn't have a problem getting a sun bed but as we were there low season although the hotel did seem pretty full I would imagine in peak season then you may have a problem as the sun beds were close together but there was grass you could use if it got to crowded around the pool.

to summarise a great week all inclusive food & drinks were very good staff friendly and efficient, I would return and recommend.

Room Tip: room 3405 great sea view and sun all day
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mi2ch
Dear mi2ch,

I am very happy to read your comments and on behalf of the team I want to thank you very much for that.

Recognition of our hard work and having enjoyed your holiday is by far our best reward!

As you mentioned in the title we are a good value, and that is what we are looking for: Value for money. I am glad that you found the hotel, our rooms and in particular our buffet restaurant so enjoyable. I completely agree with you on the variety of food choices that we have. We try to adapt to all and sometimes it is not easy to please everyone.

We hope to welcome you back again and receive our best regards,

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We have today returned from the Sol Lanzarote and we didn't want to come home!
We are a couple in our 30's-well partner now 40yr! Self catering basis. Have been to lanzarote a few times before to other areas but this has to be the best beach and the hotel is very good.
When I booked, I didn't realise how close to the airport the hotel was and I must admit, I wasn't looking forward to it-but please don't let it put you off as the planes are not overly noisy, I'm no plane spotter, but it was really interesting watching them take off and land!
The hotel staff were always helpful, happy and friendly, we didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on that.
On my partners birthday, a maid came to our room with a bottle of bubbly, glasses and a hand written card from the hotel!...such a nice gesture off their own back-we were really shocked! Usually hotels want money for that sort of thing!
The cleanliness of the rooms and hotel were excellent-couldn't fault anything! The Maids were great!
Our room overlooked the pools and sea and the apartment was huge! Basic-yes (as there all are in the canaries) but the space was ace! Shower and hairdryer was better than mine at home!
The Sirocco restaurant a couple of mins walk along the beach has some lovely food!
I would definitely return to this hotel again! Thankyou to all the staff and hotel for a lovely holiday! Back to work tomorrow :(

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Karen G
Dear Karen G,

It is great to read your review and I would like to thank you very much for sharing it. On behalf of all the team we feel proud to read such rewardful comments and the most important: you had a great holiday!

I am extremely happy that you found our hotel so good, excellent cleaning service, our staff helpful, happy and friendly, and Matagorda beach as you mentioned, and I completely agree with you, is one of the best beaches of the island.

We wait for your next visit to Lanzarote. There is always an end for everything, but most of the times is just a… see you soon!

Regards,

BelleVue Aquarius
#75 of 92 in Puerto Del Carmen
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,181 reviews
Melia Salinas - Adults recommended

Been to Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive? Share your experiences!