“Mediocre at best but can be a health hazard at worst...”

Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive
Ranked #29 of 91 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The only reason we booked this hotel was the kitchenette in the room, as travelling with little children. And that was also the only reason we stayed and did not change the hotel...

I was a bit worried about this hotel after reading some reviews about cockroaches and mold. And yes - we got them both. The first room had a lot of mold in the bathroom, giving us multiple symptoms like headache, sore throat, cough and nasal congestion. There was also a very strong and stingy smell of some insect repellent, which didn't seem to scare the cockroaches from walking into the room... I think it would have been impossible for an asthmatic person to stay there, even for one night. We were able to change the room the next day though that was not so simple either. There was mold also in the other bathroom, not so much luckily, so we were able to sleep there when we kept the bathroom door closed and the balcony door open. (Despite the horrid mattress in the bed, hard wires/strings pressing your back...) Another health concern at the hotel was the children's pool. There seemed to be something wrong with the cleaning system because one day they just closed it suddenly. The next day, "supposedly in order", it was disgustingly bleary, you couldn't see through the water. We noted the reception about that but we didn't let our 3-year-old into that pool again. As a medical professional I was deeply worried about the hotel's lack of interest in people's, especially children's health and well-being. And there was more, sorry to say. One night there was a sharp piece of glass or plastic in the dessert jelly our 3-year-old was eating. A potential risk for an internal bleeding! The waitress handled it ok, reporting to her superior, but the result then? One glass of white wine for free, hurray! All the other jellies stayed at counter, hopefully there were not harmful pieces in them... The cleanliness in the rooms was also another thing, but can't be bothered to go to details. Will just say that you don't want to let a baby crawling on that floor...

Overall the hotel is not very pleasant either, the pool area is just stuffed, and I mean really stuffed with those sunbeds so that you can't walk between them. If lying in the crowded pool is your idea of a relaxing holiday, go for it! If you are looking for a quality holiday in a nice, relaxing and safe environment, you really should keep on looking. The food at the dinner buffet was the worst I have ever encountered in a resort. Some nice freshly cooked fish though, ended up eating a lot of fish during our stay.. There is also nothing decent cold to drink at the breakfast buffet, the juices from the machine are disgusting with artificial flavours. Even the plain water from that machine tastes awful, people were bringing their own water bottles to breakfast! Coffee was drinkable but somehow strangely diluted, espresso was more like a cappuccino.

The only positive comments I can think of will go to the staff, there were some very nice and friendly people among them, I wish them all the best at their work. If management would take some effort fixing the problems, this might be an ok hotel in the future. But based on our experience it is impossible to recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Ella J
Sollanzarote, Guest Relations Manager at Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear Ella J,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your impressions about your recent stay with us.
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that we may have caused to you during your stay and I am deeply sorry that we could not meet your expectations.

Let me inform you that we work with one of the leading pest control companies in the island, however the Canary Islands have sub-tropical weather and it makes very difficult to control them especially on summer.

In regards to the mould that you mentioned in the bathroom, please note that it is not actually mould but the silicone of the bathtub that gets dark when it gets old. We are eventually replacing them and we do not have many left but I can assure you it is not a health hazard as you mentioned in your review. We have health and safety tests periodically in all areas of the hotel, rooms, kitchen, swimming pools, etc. for this purpose.
The kids pool is emptied on a daily basis, every morning is refilled with new water. I am sure you saw that we have a mini-beach area with sand close to the pools, and the reason that the kids swimming pool gets blurred every day is because children do not wash the sand before using it.

I will pass your comments to all departments as we take into consideration every single review for future improvement.

On the other hand I want to thank you on behalf of the team about your nice words addressed to our staff. It is our best asset.

Once again I am sorry that we could not make of your holiday a special one this time. I can assure you that is our main target.

Our best regards,

Guest Experience Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,870)

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed here with a disabled lady I support and we had a really nice time the reception staff are really helpful especially carlos I think his name is little man with glasses lol he.went out of his way to help if we needed any

the grounds of the hotel have really good disabled access one or two areas the ramps were bit too steep so we avoided these but overall good

the food was really nice and could try something new everyday same thing everyday for breakfast but think you get that in most hotels lots of differnt choices though

the room was in good location overlooking pool and sea veiw also ground floor they not got much room in them if you had a big wheelchair but we manged rooms cleaned everyday would definitely return to this hotel

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank pauline0709
Sollanzarote, Guest Relations Manager at Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Dear pauline0709,

Thank you so much for your review! We’d love to see you back at Sol Lanzarote. It is highly appreciated your recognition about our food and in particular our staff. I am happy therefore that you found our grounds and views to your liking.

Thanks again for your excellent review of our hotel!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Came back from a week here last Thursday and can honestly say its the best holiday ive ever been on the rooms were clean, most of the staff were friendly JK and carlos from the entertainment team was awesome the credit should all go to them they made our holiday fun cause they was so energetic and such a good laugh!! the shops are only a 5 mins walk with lots of places to eat and irish bars! i was in heaven! it was my mums birthday out there and she got a bottle of champers delivered to her room! id definitely go back next year im already looking into prices now!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Nina868,

Your feedback about Sol Lanzarote was greatly appreciated from all the staff, especially our entertainment team!. It feels amazing to read that we made possible the best holidays you ever had! Thank you so much.

We are already waiting for you to have you back next year!

Regards,

Reviewed September 20, 2013

This was our first holiday since we had our baby, who is now 18months old. I'm very fussy so you'll hopefully find my review helpful ! Firstly, if you're traveling with a young family, this hotel is great as only a 5/10 minute taxi ride away...make sure you don't use the holiday company (like Thomas Cook) transfer...they'll charge you £40 but a taxi one way is only 10 euros and a lot less hassle ! Rooms are great as they had 2 separate areas. Kitchen area has a fridge and microwave and hob. Although we went all inclusive, it was great to be able to heat up milk and store it in the fridge. I'd recommend UTH milk rather than their fresh milk as I found it curdled when I heated it ! Don't use the supermarket next door to the hotel as you'll pay double the amount. Just down the road, there is a Spar shop...they have everything as very reasonable prices. Hotel is lovely. We didn't experience any problems with ants...unlike many other go have reviewed this hotel...we were in room 2307. Our baby had a great time in the baby pool and main pool, and not forgetting the mini disco ! Flint stone Land was closed a lot but I wouldn't have left our daughter there anyway, as she's still very young. I'd suggest all parents ask the hotel for a bath mat as bath was very slippy...they will supply straight away. If you have walking difficulties, this isn't the hotel for you ! The disabled access ramps are very steep...we witnessed an elderly fall. Only downside to hotel is that they never helped anyone with luggage...they saw we were struggling and still no help. This was especially hard for those on top floors when the lifts weren't working ! Food wasn't bad at all....breakfast great and always a good selection of fresh breads and deserts ! It is a lovely hotel and I really do think we'll come back....book via holiday Hypermarker and youcould save £100 like we did !

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank ShilpaDS

Dear ShilpaDS,

Thank you very much for giving us your impressions about your last holiday at Sol Lanzarote. We take note of everything and we are glad to read that you enjoyed your days with us, we really appreciate your nice words about our staff and services.

Just for your information we have accessible rooms and many which are not adapted but located very close to reception. I remember the lady you mention we assisted her very promptly and she was offered to move to a different room but she refused for the lovely views that she had on the first room. She is fine and happy. For any particular person who wishes an accessible room it has to be requested in advance otherwise we might have run out at the moment of checkin..

In regards to the luggage assistance it is true we do not have porterage service and that is because we prefer to focus our human resources in other areas we feel more important for our guests such as reception or restaurant.

I hope to see you soon here again at Sol Lanzarote and regards from the team!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Just back from a 5 day stay at Sol Lanzarote. I'm not one to write reviews but I just wanted to share my experience. I went with my teenage son, who enjoyed his stay thoroughly. This is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in lanzarote. Staff are friendly, rooms are immaculate, food is great, (plenty of variety). Great location, away from the hustle and bustle but plenty of restaurants and shops in the area. Beach is right in front of hotel. Beautiful view. Loved seeing planes taking of and landing. I cannot find one fault with this hotel. Will definitely be back :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank mariamc119
Sollanzarote, Guest Relations Manager at Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear mariamc119,

It is so grateful to read a review like yours. This is exactly what I think we are and I am extremely thankful that you shared your point of view with all users on Tripadvisor. I am sure many will find it very useful to decide.
We are already waiting for you on your next holiday!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

As a couple we travelled on a last minute package. I have stayed in Matagorda & Puerto del Carmen on numerous occasions. The Sol Lanzarote always looked like a fab place to stay. The reception area is a wow when you enter the building and the staff are really professional. The apartment was absolutely spotless and were cleaned every day - towels changed daily and bed-linen was changed once in the week. The arrangement of the apartment is very badly laid out - it is just divided in 2, entering into the kitchen/living area - there is then a sliding door into the bedroom containing 2 beds, and the bedroom leads onto the balcony. Because of this we spent most of our time out of the apartment as there was absolutely no sunlight getting into the living area. It is very well equipped for families and a lot of elderly also stay here, it's just ideal for that type of tourist, but not for me!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank madger69

Dear madger69,

Thank you first of all for your feedback. Every point of view is important for us.

I am happy to know that you liked our premises and the staff of the hotel as well as our cleaning service. I regret to read that you do not feel this hotel is for you at some point. It is true during summer season the hotel is full of families and we have to adapt having so many children with us. However you may find the hotel just the way you like at any other time of the year.

I really hope you decide to visit us any other time and leave with a much better experience.

Regards,

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Top class service , food and staff . Defiantly returning next year. Great hotel for kids and relaxing by the pool. Lots of activities to do during the day and night. Directly across from beach (20 feet away) but has a mini beach inside hotel grounds !

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank Andy F

Dear Andyfit,

I appreciate hugely your comments about the hotel and especially our staff. Thank you so much!

I am so happy to know that we made it possible for you and your family. Being part of such a great experience is the reason we come every day in full batteries!

We cannot wait to have you all back with us next year!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Del Carmen
#25 of 91 in Puerto Del Carmen
Hesperia Lanzarote
Hesperia Lanzarote
#2 of 4 in Puerto Calero

Been to Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive? Share your experiences!