“Really good family new year holiday!”

Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive
Ranked #29 of 94 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Manchester
“Really good family new year holiday!”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We traveled as a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (aged 8 and 2) for 2 weeks between 27/12/12 - 10/01/13. Overall we all had a really good time at the Sol Lanzarote. When we got to the hotel we were given room 1234, which although very big was not great as the fixtures were a bit worn, the fridge was rusty and the view overlooking the car park was not great. We asked at reception if they had n alternative and they offered room 3204 with no fuss or problems. This room, although a little smaller both inside and on the balcony was much less tired and had a good view over the pools and out to see.
We initially went self-catering as we know the area and enjoy the plentiful bars/restaurants in Matagorda and Puerto Del Carmen. All the appliances worked fine. However we decided to upgrade to half board with 7 days left, really to save some money. Both breakfast and evening meals were fine - usual buffet selections, the bread and pastries at breakfasts were my personal favourite (always fresh) and the kids loved the cereals, beans, sausages. Evening meals had a good selection and we always found something that we enjoyed. Some of the dishes maybe could have been warmer but they were never cold as some have suggested in their review. There was a chef who would cook fresh food, steaks or fish and whilst i enjoyed this it was a little slow and queues would develop.
My 8 year old enjoyed the hotel mini club activities, although we felt there could have been more games (pool, table tennis) organised. My 2 year old was happy in the small pool all day or on the beach (literally 10 meters away over the promenade - watch out for bikes!). The evening entertainment was ok, but most nights we were in the room for 22:00 as both kids were tired out!
The twin beds were comfy, though pillows not so much. My 2 year old had a cot and my 8 year old slept on the sofa bed which was fine for him but i would not be able to sleep on it (thin mattress).
We are looking at going back to the Sol for this coming new year. The location is great and the overall feel of the hotel makes me very comfortable. Yes like many hotels in the canary's it could do with some refurbishment here and there and if you are the type of person who looks for faults so you can be happy moaning you will find some, but if you report a problem the helpful staff will try and sort it for you.

Room Tip: Room 1234 big but dated and poor view, room 3204 smaller but better view and up to date facilities...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Ashley S
Sollanzarote, Director General at Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Ashley S,

Thank your very much for your detailed feedback about your last stay in our hotel. It is really nice to read that you enjoyed your holidays and specially the New Year's date.
Comments as yours is our best assistance to improve the services we offer to our guests. I have taken notes about the activities and food temperature feedback in order to pass them to the departments involved.

I look forward to welcome you again very soon.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
durham england
Reviewed January 13, 2013

we went to this hotel on the 3 rd jan for my 40 th birthday, first impressions were good hotel lobby was clean welcoming had a long wait checking in there were only three families in from of us but it took over 45 mins for check in and with a 3 year old thats not good, keys were given and vague directions to our room, every were else i have been we have always had someone take us to our room and help with cases however not in this hotel, we made our way to our apartment room 3221 and 3230 first impressions were very nice we had a sea view and also a view to the pool, then i saw the ants on the kitchen worktop and dirt and what looked like sand in the corners and the veneer coming of the slidy doors that seperated the bedroom from kitchen, and the handle was loose, i then stupidly thought the bed in the kitchen was safe to sit on how stupid was i i ended up going straight through it, bathroom door had been kicked in and would not lock hairdryer would not work and switch was smashed, i complained straight away and was advised it would get sorted asap, tried looking for the thomas cook rep on the friday no sign of her, or the whole week come to that, the railings outside my daughters room leading to my room were loose, the snack bar next too the pool was fine clean only quarm there is i paid for all my children to have buffets out of the all inclusive section and yet my daughter was told she could not have anything from there ?? and had to pay at snack bar at this point i was sick of complaining and we didnt at at the hotel again, matagorda is a lovely place the people are friendly and the beach is lovely, i have no complaints about the place at all loved the whole island except unfortunatley for the hotel we waited till the monday morning for the beds to be replaced but as it was thursday we arrived its not really good service, the maids in this hotel however are very helpful and do try their bes they even left me tins of raid for the ants, i would go back to matagorda however i would not go back to this hotel at all i very much doubt if i would book with thomas cook again either ohhhh and my birthday was ignored by the hotel and also thomas cook so yes i was sulking the magority of the week oh i forgot to mention dont bother emailing the hotel before you go about upgrading to all inclusive either cos they refuse to let you unless its for the last two days and what ever they offer you on email they dont honour it

Room Tip: my advice is go to a different hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank patricia1973
Sollanzarote, Director General at Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Patricia 1973,

Thank you very much for your comments about your stay in our hotel. I do apologise if your stay was not to his total pleasure. If I can confirm that our hotel does not offer porters service, although I assure you if you need this service, it would suffice to inform our reception and someone from our team will help as sometimes happens.
I regret any inconvenience you may have had in his room, although I confirm your that having ants in the room is unusual, and if this happens we inmediately contact a local fumigation firm. About the cleaning and room's state, thank you for your information, because although our rooms were renovated in 2004, we take an internal control to correct any damage that may arise from day to day.
Thomas Cook rep. comes every day to our hotel and in case it is not possible you have thomas cook information and mobile phone in our Tour Operators corner.

About your birthday, I assure we did not know this information. We have the information our sistem give us, but if this date was not during your holidays, it is impossible for us to know it.

I take this opportunity to confirm you that in case some of our guests want to upgrade some days of their holidays to All Inclusive board, it should be the last days of stay.

I hope we have another opportunity to welcome you to our hotel or any other Meliá Hotels International.

Regards,

Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Lanzarote is brilliant - this hotel is not! Have paid less to stay in better places than this. Apartments are shabby, coating peeling off fake wood furniture and rusty fridge door. It was probably a mistake on our part to choose this hotel but was a last minute deal. Ok if you have young kids who will be kept entertained but we just wanted to sunbathe by the pool in peace without the in your face "entertainment" booming out of the speakers. Food very average. Would return to area - great eating places nearby, but not to this hotel.

Stayed August 2012
5 Thank lymet
Sollanzarote, Director General at Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear lymet,

I am very sorry that you did not enjoyed your holidays in our hotel and much more you found a defect in your room.
Our rooms were refurbished in 2004 and we give them an exaustive follow up to maintain its health. That is why I appreciate your feedback, as it will be used as an assistance to improve.

I would also like to inform you that Melia Hotels International, has different brands to suit all customers, including the adults only Hotels.

We look forward to welcome you in the future to this or any other hotel of Meliá Hotels International.

Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed January 10, 2013

we have stayed in the sol several times over 16 year period,and have never been dissappointed.
location,, location location.we stay in self catering with sea and pool view. other reviews claim that there are no bars or restaurants within half mile are so wrong .ther is a strip in both directions on the prom with plenty of shops bars restaurants etc,the rooms are spacious, beds firm and comfortable,free safe ,tv.towel change every day also daily cleaning.looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: cant remember the room no.but it was ground level with sea view.near kiddies area.would not recommen...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Grindell1957
Dear Grindell1957,

Thank you very much for your information about your last stay in our hotel. It is very kind to check that our repeater guests enjoy their holidays once again.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your loyalty and I confirm you that all our staff is looking forward to welcome you on your next holidays.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at the Sol hotel between the Christmas break, the hotel didn't make Christmas special In anyway we had to pay to have our Christmas dinner at a local bar. The food was awful, cold and the same each day. The hotel staff are rude, not helpful in any way.

When arriving at the hotel we requested a iron to which we were told they do not provide irons and you have to pay for maid service which we did. We then discovered there was no hair dryer in the bathroom as described in the brochure. I had to make 4 phone calls to receive my hair dryer.

The hotel entertainment was awful and catered mainly for children, the entertainment finished at 11 o'clock along with the all inclusive at 1130.

The hotel was clean and the maids cleaned the rooms everyday.

We paid to eat out each day for breakfast and dinner and paid for taxis to the local town to escape the hotel on a daily basis the taxis would cost £10 euros return.

The swimming pools were very large but freezing!

We did enjoy our break the weather was lovely but we will not be recommending the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kylie1989
Dear Kykie1989,

Thank you very much for your information about your stay in our hotel. I regret to check that you did not enjoy your Christmas break.
Sol Lanzarote prepared a special programm for this dates which was greatly appreciated by most of our customers.

About the irons, I confirm you that in case you want this service, there is an external company which contracting it, offers an iron for use during your stay. On the other hand, we at the hotel we offer our customers our laundry and iron service.

I really apologize if there was no hair dryer in the bathroom, because all our rooms have one. I will discuss this issue with the departments involved. Anyway I take this opportunity to inform you that there is a line "Solutions Center", where you can ask what you need and will sort is as soon as possible.

Our activities department offers a program for children, but also one for adults. What is certain is that this is a sol themed hotel "Flinstones" and therefore is especially suitable for families.

To conclude I would like to inform you that one of our pools is heated maintaining the maximum temperature set by law .

Looking forward to have the possibility to welcome you again in a future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Location is perfect.

Staff not professional nor trained. They are not encouraged to interact with guests on any level.
Food is terrible, standard is so bad and the same thing every meal time. Thought they might have made an effort for Christmas night but not at all.
We were on all inclusive, beer, wine & spirits, were the cheapest to be found on island, We noticed the prosecto they were serving was 1.27euro for large bottle in local supermarket. Branded products available at hotel prices.
We are a couple with no children, this hotel is very child friendly, with children running around reception and bar until the early hours.
Beds were so uncomfortable and standard of towels terrible,
I would go back to Lanzarote but never again Sol Lanzarote.

• Stayed December 2012
7 Thank 440Anne
Dear 440Anne,

Thank you for your information about your stay in Sol Lanzarote Hotel. I regret to check that you did not enjoy your holidays.
Our guest´s feedback is our best assistance to improve our services, so I really appreciate all your comments and confirm I will pass them to our staff.

Please be informed that Sol Lanzarote as a "Sol Hotel" is appropiated for families but Meliá has different brands as Gran Melia, Me, Melia...which offer only adults holidays.

I hope you give us another opportunity to welcome you again at Sol Lanzarote or any other Melia Hotels International Hotel.

Regards,

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2012

13th stay at this hotel and again it didn't disappoint ,staff as usual so friendly,and happy to see us as a returning couple.Carlos on arriving thanked us for our loyalty,but the reason we are loyal is that we love the hotel,the location is fantastic and you couldn't wish for a nicer bunch of people.Room as always was great and again we were treated to a sea view room,a big thanks for that.would recommend to anyone,keep up the great work guys see you soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room the views are fantastic.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Peter C
Sollanzarote, Director General at Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Peter C,

Thank you very much for your comments about your last stay in our hotel. It is very pleasant to check that our facilities and services met our guest's expectations.

I would like also to thank you for your loyalty and inform you that all Sol Lanzarote staff are looking to welcome you on your 14th visit.

Best regards from Lanzarote,

BelleVue Aquarius
#74 of 94 in Puerto Del Carmen
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,177 reviews
Melia Salinas - Adults recommended

Been to Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive? Share your experiences!