“chaos, but in a good way”

Cofradia de Pescadores la Tinosa
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Anywhere you can park your bum at midnight and still get a full meal has to have something going for it - and La Cofradia certainly has that. Four of us visited last night, and had a delightful meal. Rustic? Yes. Chaotic? Given the incredible number of people eating there, and the pace at which tables emptied and refilled, yes - but that meant, for us, that we were not rushed, had loadsof time, and were eble to enjoy a lovely night out.

If you're after fine dining and a dinner jacket, you're looking in the wrong place. This is local, damned good value, fish as fresh as you'll find anywhere, cooked the way the locals eat it. In fact it is as authentic as the most authentic Canarian food I've had anywhere.

Like I say, though, it's local, and it can be loud, fun, very Spanish and as far from Michelin Star as you can get and still be the best fish you'll ever eat. Wear jeans, be prepared to have a whale of a time and you'll be fine.

1  Thank hifistud

Reviewed July 9, 2012

This restaurant was a pleasant find after walking through the horrendous Puerto del Carmen!

The food was very good with very fresh fish. Good service and reasonable prices.

Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

I am surprised by the other reviews for this restauant as we found both the service and the food poor. We had seen this restaurant which is an amazing position on the old harbour earlier in our stay and decided to save going there for our last night.
The service can only be described as shambolic. There were enough staff but because of disorganisation it was impossible to get served. Getting the bill at the end was just as difficult. We asked one waiter and as we didn't receive it after over 10 minutes went to the till to pay. When we walked down the road afterwards we saw the said waiter at the shops!
I can't find anything good to say about the food either. We shared a starter which novelly was a salad with dried fruits but I am always keen to try something new and had enjoyed the salad with strawberries at the Jazz Bistro Restaurant. The starter was a joke comprising of some salad with dried fruit from a packet. Try eating banana chips with a knife and fork. It was something a 5 year old might have devised! We had asked for Sea Bass for our main course but despite being early diners we were told that they had run out of it and the waiter suggested a local fish that we hadn't heard of. He gave us a choice of with or without garlic and I am pleased to say that I chose without because my friend had a fish covered in chopped garlic which totally overpowered the uninspiring fish.
We were so annoyed with ourselves for deciding to here for our last night which meant an otherwise good holiday ended on a downer!

1  Thank ThruppResident
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Excellent fish dishes at this restaurant located right in the harbour site. We had fried baby sqid for starters and fish on the bone for mains. We were very satisfied with the food and service. Many locals were eating here.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

I'm led to believe this restaurant is run by the local fishermen.

Here's a confession. Personally I hate fish - it's the smell - fish bought from the monger/market or frozen section by the time it's taken home and cooked - I just can't get it past my nose.

But my wife loves fish. It was her birthday. I was feeling brave. I ordered fish.

You know what? Fresh fish, doesn't smell, tastes great but still has bones! I reckon the fish here are taken from the water and shoved straight in the pan - delicious!

Nice atmosphere, good service, reasonable price.

If you don't like fish - you'll like this.

PS - they also do meat :)