“Great Hotel, shame about the head waiter”

VIK Hotel San Antonio
Ranked #23 of 94 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, shame about the head waiter”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Just returned from a lovely week at the San Antonio. Everything was first class except for the head waiter who was impatient and very rude. The star of the show was the entertainments guy who organized all the games on the beach and created a great atmosphere within the complex.
If you are looking for a really good restaurant for that special night out, look no further than a lovely little gem called Montmartre, a French restaurant in the old town just below the Biospheria.
It's like no other restaurant in Puerto del Carmen and not expensive.
We will definitely return to the San Antonio despite the head waiter and just maybe the hotel will have sent him on a course on how to treat Guests.

7 Thank cathy l
Lorea S, Director of Sales at VIK Hotel San Antonio, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking your time and write here your opinion.

We are happy because in general your stay was successful, but of course we will investigate the attitude of the staff in this case.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you soon in Vik San Antonio hotel

Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed there in April for 11 nights. Great hotel for food, hotel cleanliness and pool area.
Only 2 things to complain about. First is the beds and pillows,both extremely hard difficult to get good nights sleep even after requesting and getting 'softer pillows?'
Second was the attitude of head waiter to non-Spanish, off handed and dismisive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank boulton12
Dear guest,

Thank you for writing your opinion, it is always very useful for us, in order to know what our guests think about the hotel.

It is a pity that you did not enjoy completely your holidays due to the beds or pillows; we have some different ones to offer the clients in order to try to satisfy all the opinions. And regarding your complain about a member of our staff, we regret to hear that you did not feel good with his service and we will speak with him.

Thank you again, and we hope you visit us again in a near future.

Best Regards
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We spent a week at this hotel mid May this year. We we were delighted to be given a sea view room although we hadn't paid for one. There was a lovely view of the tropical garden, pool and beach. The room was OK with enough storage space etc and was cleaned every day by a very nice young maid and I was sorry to see that she wasn't on duty the day we left and I don't know if the tips are shared. I was also pleasantly surprised to get a bottle of Cava and bowl of fruit delivered to the room on my birthday. They would have got my birthday from my passport.
The hotel was very nice with pleasant areas for sitting and a large room for the eveining entertainment. The main entertainment was from 10pm to 11pm and was usually singers or some kind of acrobats.
The pool and garden area of the hotel are really very nice and I would give the hotel 4 stars for the plants and trees and the general ambience . When we were there there were always anough sunbeds. The big pool is for adults only, which is nice when you have no children of your own with you. There are two other lovely pool areas, one is a shallow round pool for children. There are different kinds of competitions held during the day, which were enjoyable and well organised. I tried the pistol shooting, which was good fun.
As for the staff; they can sometimes seem a bit brusque, but at the main desk there was usually a fair haired woman who was very helpful.
I was a bit disappointed with the food; the breakfasts were OK, the different kinds of bread and the variety of hot and cold drinks were excellent but I found it difficult to find a meal to please me at dinner. I don't eat meat but sometimes eat a little plain fish. Although there were some nice potato and vegetable dishes there were no vegetarian dishes as such. Also, as I have found in many other hotels most of the cold salad dishes --- potato salad, cold rice or pasta salads were ruined for me because they had bits of ham or shell fish or tuna mixed in. Isn't there enough meat already on offer for people that want it without spoiling the very foods vegetarians would like to eat?
There are bus stops right outside the hotel which take you into the main part of Puerto del Carmen and further afield and there are coastal walks along promenades going in both directions. Everywhere on the island is clean and made to look as nice as possible and it is interesting to see the strange landscape with the ground so barren and with huge lumps of lava covering some of them. We visited the sunday market at Teguise, which was very good and also enjoyed a visit to Playa Blanca. On the internet you can find a walk from Puerto del Carmen to Puerto Calero; we eventually found the beginning of the walk at the far end of the port area at the end of a street. It is about 5k and we found it very enjoyable as it takes you all along the coast and my husband saw some dolphins. The walk is not difficult but not really suitable for push chairs unless you want to carry them in some places. You can get a bus back or do as we did and get the water bus. There was a dolphin pod in the area and had been seen by the passengers on the journey to Puerto Calero but we saw none on the way back.
We enjoyed our holiday and the hotel was good for the price wwe paid.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jojosnook
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments, they are very important for us, and we hope that for our future guests too.

We note that in general you spent a good holidays in our hotel and we are very pleased about that. Regarding your comments about the vegetarian food, we will try to improve in this matter, thank you for your suggestion.

Thank you again for your time and we hope see you again in our hotel in a near future.

Kind regards
Louth
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Firstly, I don't usually bother writing reviews but with this hotel I feel the management really need to look at their staff problem which needs to be addressed pronto. 99% of them were helpful and polite BUT there was a number of older male staff whose conduct left me speechless. They were rude, arrogant, aloof and LAZY........ There were people standing waiting to order drinks for 20 mins while they dragged their feet, took their time with absolutely no urgency about them and then when they decided they would lower themselves to serve you it was gruff and grumpy. You would think you we're asking for the drink for free the manner in which they spoke and looked at you. Seriously, you need to take a good look at this area of your business as it is really letting you down. Almost everyone was talking about it. I know a few approached management but mostly the guests stayed quiet as they didn't want to ruin their own holiday by complaining.
What this particular group of staff need to understand is that people spend a huge amount of money getting to this country and a huge amount of money staying in the hotel. Most people only get one holiday a year, if at all. How dare a few arrogant people ruin these people's holiday. San Antonio you need to get your staff in order -bar staff ESP the bar at night. The treatment is disgraceful.
Get bar staff in who are willing to work, have some speed about them and most importantly are POLITE and understand the guests are here for a good time...............
Apart from this I did enjoy the hotel - would I go back? If I thought I was going to be looking at the same faces in the bar - probably not

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank CiaraLouth
Dear guest,

Thank you for writing your opinion.

We regret to know that in your last visit you did not feel welcome in our bar. We would like to note that usually our staff is very well mentioned by the clients due to their service, but of course we take note of your comments and we will speak with our personal.

Hoping that you decide in a future to visit us again, we remain.

Best regards,
Cork
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I booked the San Antonio based on reviews here. I corresponded directly with the hotel and as per the tips and requested a renovated, sea view room for 3 people.
I did not mind paying extra premiums for the sea view, or for a newly renovated room so went ahead and booked.
Upon check-in, our room was ready early which was a bonus! A fairly surly lady checked us in and said about the evening meals, even though we only booked B&B. I questioned this with her but she never really clarified. I double checked - is this a sea view, newly refurbished room we have? She replied "yes, yes....! Of course."
The room itself was spotlessly clean. A large "double" bed and a comfortable sofa bed - perfect. However upon inspection, there were marks on the shelf, marks on the wall, wear and tear in the bathroom so I thought maybe this was not a newly refurbished room after all.
I went back to reception to ask about the wifi and also query about the room - a young gentleman was very helpful regarding the wifi code and he went to ask a colleague about the room - the surly lady from earlier.
"Yes it is a new refit room yes..." which I found strange as the wear and tear in the room would indicate otherwise. However at this point, my friends had unpacked so we decided to stay put.

Housekeeping during the week was hit and miss. For 2 days, we placed our towels and robes on the floor to be replaced; only to find they were being re-hung. The robes got to the point where they had suncream and makeup on them, that we had to go to reception and request clean towels and robes.
One of the sockets came off the wall, leaving a big black hole. Again I was surprised at a "newly refurbished" room having such old sockets and fixings. This was ignored by housekeeping and when we came back from the pool, it was still on the floor. Once again, I had to go to reception and request it to be repaired - which was done within the hour.
The pool area was very clean, lots of sunbeds and the outdoor bar area made nice lunches.
No complaints there.
The wifi was hit and miss - sometimes you would be disconnected. Other times you would remain connected, but have no speed or bandwidth. Slightly annoying.
Breakfast was plentiful. Great service and fab breakfast chef on the egg station doing omelettes.

The day before check out I went to reception to query the bill and the surcharges for the sea view room and for the renovated room. After trying to explain to the man about the rate offered and showing him photos of our room and all the worn fixtures & marks, he said he could do nothing as I needed to talk to a lady and she wasnt in until Monday at 9am. We were checking out at 8am... He also barked "why had I not mentioned this before", I explained I did already shortly after check in but no apology was offered.
I paid in full as there was no point asking the same on check out.
So a few highlights and good points but overall very disappointing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Samantha L
Dear guest,

We regret to know that in your last visit you had not a good experience with the room we choose for you. Really that room was a renovated sea view room and we have checked it after your comments and everything was in order, of course the incident with the socket it was an isolated fact.

We take note about the cleaning of the room in general, and we will try to improve in all the matters you mention in your comments, thank you again for spending your time writing this opinion.

Hoping that you decide in a future to visit us again, we remain.

Best regards,
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Just back from a week at the San Antonio in Lanzarote, The Hotel was spotless , location is good and in general it was a good week in the sun, on the down points, the food wasnt as good as I would have wanted, we found ourselves going out most evenings for dinner, same menu everynight not what you would expect from a 4 star. The rooms are tired and need updating, but cant complain about the cleaning standard. I had an incident where i left my shorts at the poolside restaurant and went down the next day and spoke to the pool guy who said yes we have them, I put them behind the bar for you, he went to get them, and came back after a while and said,Im sorry but they have gone, I then went to the reception to speak to them and was advised they will look into it.The next day i went back and still no sign, I then asked to speak to the manager, who didnt come down to speak to me personally but spoke to me on the phone, which I thought was quite rude, after 30 mins he gave us a 30.00 euro voucher, which was ok but couldnt advise us who had taken them. We had a late flight home and tried to book a late room and was advised they didnt have any rooms !!!!.
As a result of the missing shorts, I wouldnt go back as I wouldnt be comfortable. this was our first stay in Lanzorote and this clouded it.
Weather was great.

3 Thank David B
Dear guest,

Thank you for writing your opinion, it is always very useful for us.

We regret to know the incident with your shorts, usually we have not problems with lost things, we are very sorry about that.

Regarding the late check-out, it is true that during that week, on the island was celebrated the Ironman race, very well known all over the world and we were fully booked, so it was impossible to offer you that service.

Thank you again, and we hope you can check personally the quality of our service and food in your next visit to the Vik San Antonio Hotel.

Best Regards,
dublin
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Just back from another enjoyable holiday in Lanzarote. Stayed yet again in the San Antonio hotel, which i am pleased to say was excellent as usual. Very friendly staff, great pool area, great selection of food and good room on third floor with full sea view room. Room not hugh but decent size for 2 people.
Very good entertainment at night time, such as Abba, Eagles, Drifters, guitar legents shows. All very good, plus resident 2 piece band are excellent too.
Great location, walking distance to new town and about 25 minute walk to old town. Sadly the old town seems to be showing signs of the recession but the harbour area still has a lot of charm.
Can't think of anything negative to say about this hotel, great value. Love it and look foward to next holiday there.

Room Tip: Try and get a full sea view. Avoid room too close to lift.