“Innovative Tapas, Not the Friendliest Service”
Review of Taberna De Nino

Taberna De Nino
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I don't know whether to give this a three or four overall. On the plus side: really tasty tapas, and some very interesting combinations. More innovative than traditional, I suspect. For example, one dish I had was smoked salmon wrapped around a piece of toast, with avocado and anchovies on top -- all on a bed of strawberry sauce! On the other hand, the service (as others have remarked) is not exactly friendly. The two waiters working on the night we were there were fast and efficient, but also somewhat curt. The guy who seemed to be the head waiter appeared to be a bit offended when I tried to refuse the complimentary liquor after our meal (I'm not fond of the stuff, and my partner is visibly pregnant). When shortly after I pointed out that the bill was incomplete (they had forgotten to charge us for some drinks we ordered during the meal), the head waiter merely sort of grunted and took the bill away (though the other waiter, who had probably made the mistake, did thank us when he brought the correct bill).

2  Thank SorenBeverley_UK
Write a ReviewReviews (1,737)

Reviewed December 28, 2013

The best place we found to eat on the playa blanca end of Puerto del Carmen. Maybe not strictly Spanish but very good food and service at reasonable prices. Booking advisable as it was full every time we went. The tapas were particularly good, taster portions of the main menu so its a very good way to try a variety of dishes. My husband and I ordered four between us which was more than ample. My only criticsm was the food is very rich (hardly a fault) so watch your combinations! Wine very good and well priced.

2  Thank Kim T
Reviewed December 22, 2013

It's a Spanish restaurant that you need to visit if you are in Puerto Carmen.Its a busy place but the staff still have time for a chat and they treat you well with fantastic service.The Tapas starters was excellent with excellent choices for the main courses.Every bit of the food is freshly cooked so a small wait is expected.Yes I will return.

2  Thank daveed_13
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Having read the rave reviews on this site we were really looking forward to eating at this restaurant. Unfortunately it didnt live up to the hype in any way whatsoever. The atmosphere was non existant, the service was functional and the food was horrible. We ordered 5 dishes, none of which we finished. Three of them (wild mushrooms, octopus, spicy sausage) didnt get beyond the first mouthful. We felt so ill that we stopped, gave up and left - feeling very disappointed and confused - how could they get it so wrong? We even checked the receipt to make sure we'd gone into the right resturant and not the one next door. But we hadnt. This is our third visit to Lanzarote and this was by far the worst food we've had! Awful!

13  Thank stevebondsouthampton
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We loved everything about Tabernacle Niño. Just of the main avenue. Service choice and value for money. Food was delicious and we had the recommended house red which was very reasonably priced. Booked in advance as very busy. Will definitely return on our next trip in a few weeks.

1  Thank AngAu123