“All the reviews can't be wrong...Excellent!”

Emma's Cantina Mexicana
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: A very popular 36 seat restaurant in the picturesque main street of the original fishing village of Puerto del Carmen with parking outside or in the recently renovated fishing port one street below.Open from 6pm each night, closed Wednesday.N.B. A dress code operates in this restaurant.
West Mids
“All the reviews can't be wrong...Excellent!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We read the reviews and figured we had to give it a try as we all love Mexican. This place lived up to its good reputation, plenty of choice, the portions were pretty big and it all tasted great, spicy but not toooo much. Good varied choices of classic Mexican and some more unique dishes as well.
The Margarita to share wasn't that strong, but when we went for the individual Classic Margarita there was some serious kick to it.
Staff were really attentive, even though there were quite a few large parties in on the night, very friendly and all really helpful.
Would recommend!

• Visited October 2012

• Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Hot and tasty”
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

We had a great meal here last night, the food was excellent value and great value, the chilli special was really tasty and very hot. Would recommend everyone who loves mexican food to visit this restaurant absolute corker.

Dublin, Ireland
“It's no wonder this place rates so highly!!!”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We went to Emma's Cantina near the beginning of our holiday after reading about it online, we found it hard to find, so look it up on google maps before you go! It's in the old town, it's easier to find if you walk past all the restaurants on the cliff, walk up the set of steps (you'll know what I mean when you see them) then it's on the little side street.

We liked this place so much we went twice! It's quite a small restaurant and has a sign at the front regarding dress code and space in relation to buggies so be careful what you wear (no beach shorts) and be aware of the time incase they are busy!

The first night I had the potato skins to start, and the shepards tacos for main. Mark had the chicken quesadillas and then chicken fajitas for main. The potato skins had a kind of spicy mince on the top, I thought they were really good, but yet again it was a big portion so it could do as a share, as you get four half potatoes! And before the meal they give you complimentary tortillas with an extra extra spicy sauce, we found it funny to give it a go, as we're both chickens and roasted the mouth off ourselves! (that's where the delicious cocktails come in handy!) The quesadillas came with a homemade guacamole which tasted absolutely great! Both mains were yummy! I had a lemon margarita and Mark had a strawberry margarita, mine was nicer, but both were really good. After that I had a mojito! I'm not usually a fan of these but this one was possibly one of the nicest cocktails I've ever had, the mint leaves were on the top of the drink so you weren't sucking them up the straw, because that's really annoying!!!

This meal was the most expensive of our holiday, we left €75 but that included a good tip, and it was the cocktails that drove the bill up. It was well worth it! When we paid the bill the waitress gave us a discount card (15% off) to use for "next years holiday"!!! We used it two days later!!!!

The second time I went with the vegetarian nacho's to start with and chicken fajitas for main, Mark got the exact same as our first visit because he loved it so much! I've never had anything like those nachos! They were covered with grilled veg, lashings of cheese, chopped tomato and onion and fresh coriander, sour cream, guacamole and spicy salsa! The bowl was absolutely huge, so again I'll say it's a made to share starter! The fajitas came out on a huge to share hot plate with loads of dips, they were really really good!

This time I stuck with my usual, rose wine, it was called Mateus, and it was really easy drink! That's always a good thing in my book!!!! Mark had a corona and we ordered two bottles of water. I had a cappuccino afterwards, if you like coffee you need to order this. They serve it in a tall glass with loads of whipped cream on the top, with a biscuit on the side, it was like having a dessert!!!!

With the 15% off the bill came to less than €50 (including tip). It was still more expensive than a lot of other restaurants but it was definitely worth it! And there's no need to order a starter each as they're quite big so that will lower the cost too!

The waitresses were nice and friendly, they remembered us from our first visit, The owner, think his name was Mike, had a bit of a chat with me on our second night while Mark was out having a smoke and he was really nice too! I think it makes a difference when you feel kind of important! haha!

A holiday in PCD is not complete unless you visit Emma's! :)

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank LilyLoughman
Dublin, Ireland
“Was a Let Down”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Myself and partner where so let down by the food here, after all the reviews we read which gave us such a positive vibe about the place and food. we love Mexican food i found it very bland and when we wanted mixed fajitas we where told they don't do them. service was OK but i couldn't wait to finish and get out of the place.

Visited September 2012
9 Thank sheila h
mikeemmas, Owner at Emma's Cantina Mexicana, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Due to the success of Emma's Cantina there are now many restaurants on the island calling themselves 'Cantina' or 'Cantina Mexicana' and taxi drivers often (as many clients have told me in the past) drop people off at the wrong location or indeed are paid by some restaurants to take them there. I believe this is one of those cases, where the reviewer has the wrong restaurant, simply because she states that we do not do mixed fajitas whereas we have a dish called 'Emma's Fajita Combo' which is a mixture of chicken, beef and prawns with tortillas and homemade sauces. Also the words 'bland' and 'service OK' in no way relates to MY operation, as the vast majority of reviewers on this forum attest.
Liverpool
“Best Mexican food ever”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This restraunt was reccomended to me on Trip Advisor. Took us almost a week to find it but it was well worth the wait. the food is amazing and very tasy and not like some Mexicans that it's too spicy to taste but still had a decent kick. You also get a 15% lifetime discount card to be used on Thursday & Sundays

Visited September 2012