“AMAZING!!!”
Review of Casa Cabana

Casa Cabana
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The restaurant will be closed for staff holidays from Monday 19th June and will re-open on Thursday 6th July 2017 Casa Cabana offers a varied menu with plenty of choice of good freshly prepared food to satisfy our broad customer base. Fresh ingredients and home-made desserts, a good vegetarian selection, fresh vegetables and daily specials have made our restaurant one of the most popular in the Old Town of Puerto del Carmen, Lanzarote.
Reviewed August 13, 2014

WOW! So glad I checked out the reviews and managed to get into this restaurant.
A little British gem! My partner has coeliac disease so cannot eat gluten. The GF choices here are exceptional, he even had a chocolate dessert made specially by the owner.
The staff are extremely attentive and cannot do enough to ensure your experience is one to remember.
I thoroughly enjoyed the food and the atmosphere was nice.
The best meal we had whilst in Puerto del Carmen and I can't wait to return!

2  Thank Jen_MCR
Write a ReviewReviews (1,044)

Reviewed August 4, 2014

This was one of our more expensive meals but quite enjoyable and worth a visit. Obviously it’s British but homely with a nice holiday distinction. Good friendly and attentive service.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Made a special trip to this restaurant because of the reviews, how disappointing! First of all my husband ordered garlic bread as his starter and was given a full garlic baguette, why would you want a full garlic baguette as a starter! My starter was supposedly a prawn and fish fishcake which was literally a lump of mash with a prawn and a bit of fish in the middle, nothing to wow over! For the main on the specials board was a rib eye steak with a topping of onion bacon and mushroom, my husband asked the waitress what the rib eye was like and she said it it is really nice and will just fall apart.
The rib eye was served with a mush of onion bacon etc on the top of it, and it had no taste or flavour, however my steak was full of fat and gristle, my husbands wasn't much better but he did manage to eat some of it, I couldn't be bothered sending it back as I was so disappointed that we had made a special trip there, so when they came to take the plates away and I hadn't eaten any of the steak I was asked why and i just said it was disappointing it was full of fat and gristle.
A very rude waitress then turned up at the side of the table and started shouting at the top of her voice being very rude and condescending saying that I should have been aware that ordering a rib eye it is not like ordering a sirloin or fillet,( I think what she was trying to say was that by ordering rib eye I should have known it would be full of fat), I could have died of embarrassment as she was shouting and being very rude in front of the other customers, so we just paid and left.
Not sure what everyone else has eaten there with all the good reviews, but what a waste of money and time!

2  Thank salfordtrisha
Jeremy55, Owner at Casa Cabana, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

I am sorry you were disappointed with your meal recently as described in your review. As co-owner (along with my husband and Chef) of the Restaurant it would appear that I was the rude waitress you referred to who shouted and was condescending. This was not the case, and in actual fact I came to you and apologised about your dissatisfaction with your steak as soon as I was notified by our waitress. She informed me you had told her you were unhappy with it when she was clearing your plates at the end of your meal. You had asked for the bill which I brought to the table and you will recall that after apologising I also pointed out that as a gesture of goodwill we had not charged you for your drinks. I tried to explain the difference between the steaks and did say that Sirloin and Ribeye will have some fat so if you prefer a steak without then a Fillet would probably have been a better choice for you. At no time did I shout or even raise my voice or intend this to be condescending merely information for you to help in your steak selection on a future occasion. Also at no time did you mention that there was a problem with any other item of either of your meals. You merely told me that the steak did not suit you and thanked me for taking off the drinks.

Just to clarify your other points, the Garlic Bread we offer is a half baguette as you say but it is not listed as a starter on our menu. It is shown clearly as a side order intended to accompany a meal and hence charged at 2.50 €. Our customers who take the garlic bread do express what good value it is as in most other places you just get a slice of bread for the same money. Your starter was in fact the homemade Cod and Prawn Fishcakes (2 small cakes made from flaked cod, prawns and mashed potato) served with a ginger and spring onion dip, the full description of which is clearly shown on our menu. In addition you had our complimentary bread, butter and alioli. You do make it sound as if neither you or your husband ate your Ribeye steaks, when in fact your husband´s (cooked well done) was all but finished and yours (cooked medium rare) was more than 2/3rds eaten as were the fresh vegetables and potatoes that accompanied the meal. I checked this myself when the waitress brought your plates back into the kitchen after clearing your table. Your bill was 35.00 euros in total and clearly showed the complimentary drinks which we offered and you accepted.

It is a shame you did not draw our attention to the dissatisfaction you both had with the steaks when 2 out of our 3 waitresses working that evening asked on 2 separate occasions if everything was OK with your meal. If you had we would have been more than happy to change your steaks for others or for another main dish on our menu with no problem, rudeness or without being condescending. The 2 customers who sat down at the next table to you as you were just paying your bill, thoroughly enjoyed theirs and told us it was the best meal of their holiday. The steaks were cut by the Chef (my husband and co-owner) from the same piece of beef that evening.

Having been in the hospitality industry all my working life it is not in my nature to be rude or shout at customers, far from it. If you study the other reviews as you say you have, you will notice that the high standard of service is always highlighted so perhaps you have misunderstood our intentions or that maybe in fact our establishment was not to your taste or budget.
Kim (Co Owner)
Casa Cabaña

Reviewed August 1, 2014

We returned to this restaurant like we always do when we are in puerto del carmen and wasn't disappointed with the food or the service that we got in fact we went twice in the week we were there I had the rack of lamb and it was to die for melted in your mouth my partner had the cheese stack which was rump steak black pudding rump steak and black pudding again with cheese and sauce on the top and he didn't want it to end it was that nice the second time we went I tried the cheese stack but the small plate version as the full plate would have been to much for me and my partner had the pork and it was lovely he said he'd never tasted pork like it the afters are to die for especially the white chocolate cheese cake.the owners and the staff are fantastic they can't do enough for you nothing is too much trouble for them at all iv just read a really bad review on here about the casa cabana and all I can say is they must have gone to a different restaurant that everybody else has been too and they certainly didn't pay me to write this review and we will definitely be going back again when we go back in November.Kim,Jeremy and all the staff thank you you were great see you soon yvonne and mike.

2  Thank baconbutty25
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

We were in Puerto Del Carmen for a week in June. Having had some hit and some very miss meals (to be expected in such a touristy area), we decided to splash out on what we expected (based on all the great reviews on trip advisor) be a fantastic meal at Casa Cabana. We couldn't have been more disappointed!

Where to begin, ok the positives; the owner/landlady Kim is very professional and very friendly and is a credit to the restaurant. We arrived on a particular evening without a reservation and we were told they were full and were promptly booked a table for the following evening. Fair enough. The restaurant is also well decorated and in a "fairly" charming part of the old town. That unfortunately is where the positives, at least with our experience stop.

All other aspects of our experience however were negative.

Firstly, we never had a dedicated waitress. Service was cobbled together and distributed between Kim, an older lady (useless) and a younger asian female. This made for our service throughout the evening to be sporadic and inconsistent. To add to that, there was also a whiff that we were an inconvenience. They were busy, we understand, but surely every customer regardless of any shortcomings, deserves to be treated the same?

Drinks, I ordered a vodka and coke and half a caraffe of a Spanish red (the name escapes me), my wife ordered a half caraffe of house rose. The rose was "presented" with the flair and gusto of an expensive vintage. It was an Echo Falls. THE most mass produced plonk in the world that sells at Asda for £3.99. "Would you like to try the wine madam?" the waitress pipes up. Laughter ensued but inside, we were embarrassed for the poor girl. If you are attempting to provide haute cuisine, the very least you could do is train your staff about wine??? Our 9 year old daughter ordered a Coca Cola and was presented it in a blue plastic beaker. The same kind of beaker you get in a school canteen. We understand kids can spill things from time to time but please give the children of a certain age an option to have a glass. Our daughter was quite offended.

If anything, an entertaining drinks service.

This was swiftly followed by "bread and spread". The bread and garlic mayonnaise was actually rather tasty and we enquired about the mayonnaise recipe from our waitress who told us "oh it's lovely isn't it? It's Kims own special recipe, I'll go and get her so she can tell you how she makes it".

Kim quickly rocked up with enthusiasm to tell us all about her own fabulous mayonnaise recipe: "The trick is to use Hellmans mayonnaise, a jar of lazy garlic and some olive oil. Mix it all together and it will keep in the fridge for a week" she exclaimed. Heston Blumenthal eat your heart out.

Starters; I had the liver pate. This was presented with 2 enormous rounds of pate which had clearly just been cut from a caterers block, complete with yellow plastic rind on the outside. Attractive it was not. Whether it was homemade I'm not sure but certainly did not taste or look it. My wife had the prawn cocktail, which should be a straightforward dish. However, it contained limp lettuce, minimal sauce and uncooked grey prawns which had the taste and texture of frozen shop bought prawns (even though the fishing harbour is a stones throw away). Our daughter had melon, well, that's just melon.

On to the mains; I had a "rack" of New Zealand lamb. This was accompanied by mashed potatoes and a selection of chef's vegetables. Firstly, my lamb was virtually thrown at me by the older (useless) waitress who slammed it down on the table. No apology. The lamb was absolutely miniscule, overcooked and tough. The accompanying sauce was insipid. A big disappointment. My wife had the fillet steak with a selection of chefs vegetables and a "pepper" sauce. The steak was charred on the outside and rare in the middle despite having asked for medium. Steak should be an easy cook given that this "chef" claims in so many review responses to have over 40 years experience.
The pepper sauce looked and tasted nothing like pepper sauce as any restaurant going human would know it.
Texture and taste of Bisto, looked like Bisto, smelled like Bisto (i'm guessing this was in fact, Bisto) and had a ridiculous amount of black pepper added.
Kim was later heard to tell another diner "oh yes, our sauce isn't like all those other creamy bland ones you get everywhere else. So you mean not an actual peppper sauce then? Awful awful awful.

As for the sides and chef's vegetables, the mash potato was dry and mealy and had been microwaved to within an inch of it's life. The other vegetables were also microwaved, dry, bland and with no seasoning. How do we know they are microwaved? Through the magical gift of sight. We understand, having both worked in hospitality and catering for many years that "some" establishments pre-cook thier veg and reheat them. However, most restaurants hide this rather than have the microwave pride of place in the "open kitchen". If you are going to microwave produce, it would be advisable to at least add a little water to the vegetables and maybe a little butter to the mash potatoes. Or, better still, cook batches of fresh produce throughout the evening. Just an idea.

On to our daughters main, spaghetti bolognese. She is by no means a fussy eater, but even she turned her nose up at this sorry excuse for a dish. She told us that it tasted exactly like the tinned bolognese sauce she receives as part of her school lunches. I found this hard to believe so tried it. It tasted just as she described. It was by no means homemade and tasted as if it was straight out of a tin. Our daughter left disappointed and hungry as did we.

Following the mains, I opted for an espresso, which frankly, was undrinkable. It was bitter, with no crema and did not resemble espresso whatsoever.

This topped off what was a thoroughly awful meal. It was so bad we skipped desert, paid the extortionate €95 bill and got the heck out of there.

The owners will no doubt respond to this review with a bad attitude as usual and say "why didn't you bring this to our attention at the time?".
The reason we didn't is because we were stunned into silence and would no doubt have been offered replacements which would only have been cooked in the exact same way.
These owners should, instead of coming back at negative reviews with a holier than thou attitude and a tirade of abuse and aggression take the comments on board and address the issues.
The restaurant may be a success in many ways, but it is not a success in the way honest reviews are handled. Part of being a business owner (any business) is taking the good with the bad and learning from them.
If they are so adamant that they have the right to reply, which they do, then they also need to appreciate patrons rights to offer their own honest opinions on forums such as this.

14  Thank mytrick2004
Jeremy55, Owner at Casa Cabana, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

What a ‘Truly Terrible’ review which as responsible and experienced business owners we have fully investigated. It is very easy to criticise but it is obvious that your own ‘honest’ opinion is not shared by the other 90% who strongly recommend us on Trip Advisor.
We are saddened that you felt you could not speak to us about your issues personally, especially if in your opinion it truly was as bad an experience for you and your family as you say and that only now, over a month after your visit, you should launch such a scathing and personal attack at us and our business from the anonymity of a keyboard. That was not necessary to get your point across and any good business owner would obviously reply. Why did you think that we would not reply to your goading remarks, and on what basis do you believe that we have a bad and holier than thou attitude? It is a shame that the time it has clearly taken you to compose the lengthy review full of insults, could not have been spent talking to me in particular, in a civil manner, before you left the Restaurant. After all you did say that I was very professional so why did you think you could not approach me?
We do not pay for good reviews. We do not tout our customers to post for us either, which so many other restaurants do. It is a sad fact that it is not possible to please everyone and we are not naïve enough to believe we can, but we do take notice of all comments, good and bad and act on them accordingly. We do, however, take exception to the personal attack you have decided to make on us as owners. You suggest we should not come back with abuse and aggression when we reply to negative reviews but you felt it perfectly fine to be abusive and aggressive towards us with the content of your review. I think you would agree that nobody accepts abuse gracefully.
It is with regret that we accept that we will not see you as a repeat customer, but in our honest opinion, it would be better for you to find a more suitable eatery for your tastes.
Kim