“Tapas is superb”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of La Lonja

La Lonja
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dewsbury, United Kingdom
“Tapas is superb”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

We didn't go the restaurant, but we had lunch 3 or 4 times in the tapas bar, everything was excellent and so cheap it was unbelievable. The Estafado (beef stew) I thought was excellent, my wife loves the Puntillas (deep fried baby squid) but every dish we had was great. Always pre-pared fresh, try it for an experience, I bet you like it.

PS. It cant be bad because its always has locals using it.

• Visited May 2013

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
County Cork, Ireland
“The 'El Dorado' of tapas bars in old town Puerto del Carmen”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

When I was a car driving sales representative in my youth it was the accepted knowledge that the best place to eat was where the most trucks were parked. Applying that principle today still delivers results.

When there is such an array of eateries in a resort destination it is often word of mouth or Trip Advisor that points to good places to dine. I found the La Lonja by happenchance as I strolled around the harbour area. It was the tapas menu outside that got my attention.

Everywhere in Puerto del Carmel offers tapas. A cool pint and a dish of tapas is after all a Spanish signature food. My experience of a tapas choice is arrayed in a cooler on the counter, this was not to be found in many places advertising tapas. Indeed I was given a ramekin rather than a dish of my choice in some places. So the La Lonja was a welcome find.

Back to my analogy about truckers; there were only Spanish speaking working men in the La Lonja when first I visited. The counter had an appetising assortment of tapas in a row of coolers. I had found the El Dorado of tapas!

The very large stainless steel counter almost fills half the size of the bar. The kitchen is visible through the glass windows, something that always engenders confidence. This is not a plush eatery if anything there is a kind of sanitised environment of cleanliness created downstairs by all of the stainless steel. Adjacent to the kitchen, and accessible from the bar, is the fish mongers. Here you can choose your fresh fish from an astonishing display that would do justice to any multiple supermarkets.

The price of a pint (500ml) of local beer varies significantly. As it was my chosen accompaniment to my tapas I was pleased that its cost at La Lonja was 3.00E. I had paid as little as 2.00 at one restaurant to 4.50E in an Irish Pub. The brands Dorada and Tropical are brewed in the Canaries.

The tapas portions in La Lonja were generous and varied so I returned more than once. I returned next day for my mid day break. Again the place was populated by workmen popping in and out with some tourists. It was January after all. I opted to try the main menu another evening.

I got great pleasure in choosing my fish which left the fish monger in the hands of a chef. I must say that this encounter with the waiting staff was an encounter where they moved from functionality to familiarity. That said the girls behind the bar had little English also but were very attentive and pleasant and oh so pretty. Oh yes...The meal was excellent and at a very reasonable price!

• Visited January 2013
Normandy
“Overrated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

We visited this restaurant a few years ago and were quite impressed. This year however we were very disappointed. The service was very poor and the food was second rate and overpriced. A very average fillet of snapper was served with the obligatory three soggy Canarian potatoes and some soggy undressed salad-15 euros. The waiters ignored us after we had our main course and we left as soon as possible. Avoid. There are some much better restaurants in the harbour area who are not living on their previous reputations.

1 Thank Peter W
tYRONE, iRELAND
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Baby Fried Squid”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We have eaten here every time we visit Lanzarote. You know its good when the locals eat here and they have their own fishmongers on site, the taxis drop here and the drivers are often found to be having a break here. The Tapas is of good variety. The calmari and baby fried squid, although heart attack material, is amazing. We found it is cheaper to sit at the bar and order from the staff behind the counter, you may have to point as many dont speak English, but are very friendly. You can order half or full dishes, all very reasonable prices.....

• Visited March 2013
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“Good choice for fresh fish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

We discovered this authentic fish restaurant whilst walking along to the western end of Puerto del Carmen, past Playa de Chico, to the harbour. This is an attractive area and we passed several other restaurants that we considered for lunch before choosing La Lonja. I looked less 'touristy' than some of the others and as other reviewers have commented, it has a wet fish counter displaying recent catches where the locals were buying their fish, so we decided to give it a try. We were late for lunch but that's not a problem in Spain! We took the waiter's recommendation and shared the 'Pescado del Dia' a freshly caught large snapper which was excellent. We were quite full after that so didn't have a desert. The bill was reasonable, the meal including a beer for my partner, a glass of wine for me, bread and bottled water came to a total of 40 euros. Just the sort of local, unspoiled restaurant we like.

• Visited January 2013