“great hotel, bad weather”

Drakensberg Sun Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Winterton
jhb
“great hotel, bad weather”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2010

We stayed for a week with 2 kids under 5 years old.
We stayed in a self catering unit which was great. The view is gorgeous and the facilities are extensive including 2 lovely swimming pools with kids sections, gym, canoes, fishing, squash, hikes, horses, etc . It rained the whole week which spoiled some of the outdoor opportunities. Nevertheless we had great fun catching frogs, going horse riding, going on the boat ride, playing games in the games room and checking out local attractions. The hotel also had a free lending library, and helpful staff service.
One criticism was the lack of windows. There are only sliding doors which we could not leav open due to the monkeys and the rain. There are aircon units but the room still got a bit stuffy.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
jhb south africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2010

I have mixed feelings about drakensberg sun. The check in was quick and easy. The first room we got smelt a bit damp so we requested another one and were given one hassle-free. The room itself was a bit small with not much room to move about (especially with a fiesty toddler). The bed and pillows were extremely comfy with 100% cotton linen. Lots of cupboard space. Bathroom also a nice size with complimentary water everyday.

There is no lift and walking up and down the stairs becomes a bit tedious after the first few days. I also felt that the decor and carpet in the hallway and staircase were very old and dated.

Breakfast was nice but not as great as that at Southern Sun North Beach Durban(we stayed there the previous week). Supper was included as a buffet and I felt was a bit same after the first 2 nights. Also felt that supper was a sombre affair with everyone speaking in hushed tones. Not so easy for us when we had a two year old. Also not much for children to eat at the buffet. Though the trout with mint sauce was really lovely.

Otherwise there are lots of activities such as canoeing, playground for kids, croquet, lovely boat cruise,hiking trails, mini library and games room. Also had something called qolf(combination of croquet and golf)-with a course designed to make you lose the ball! Nice touch is also the bingo and quiz at midday at the pool area--fun and they also give away prizes to winners. They also had complimentary ice tea at reception which was a nice touch. The location is absolutely to die for and the views are truly amazing. Right in the middle of the mountains.

Check out was not so great--we made an online booking and paid by credit card 3 months before arrival. But on checkout, the lady insisted that we had not paid and that our amount was still outstanding. And we were not the only ones they did this to, the people before us were on the phone with their credit card company trying to get them to send a statememt confirming payment. Luckily I had taken a confirmation with me but still this was not good enough for the lady. Eventually the manager said that it was fine and we could go. Totally 'not on' for a big company like southern sun.

Overall we had a great time and the facilities are good. The front desk service is terrible at times and the buffet supper is just ok. There are much more magical places in the drakensberg and I am not sure I will return to Drakensberg Sun.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Johannesburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2009

When we arrived at the hotel after a long trip from JHB. I was pleasently surprised to see that my early check-in request was approved and my room was ready and waiting.
Staff were all very friendly and helpful.
Setting was so beautiful. All in all it was a unforgettable weekend away.

• Stayed November 2009
Johannesburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2009

I had a wonderful experience at Drakensberg Sun. The staff was very helpful and friend. The hotel was in top condition and loved the scenic view of the mountain. The rooms had satellite tv. Breakfast was brilliant and dinner was even better.

The in-house gym need a bit of refubishment though...

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Cape Town
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2009

Upon entrance I knew that this place is well managed and quality service provided to every guest.
My room was a standard room but still had all the luxuries in it. From Dstv channels to daily amenities and the view from my room can only be described as picture perfect.

I went for a hike to ‘the blue grotto’ and was amazed by all the green plants and the waterfall in the forest. For me this was a great breakaway from all that is busy, and to get so close to nature and still have the luxury of a hotel was worth while.

For my holiday I could not have chosen a better place to relax and recharge. The restaurant service was great and the buffet dinner excellent.

Friendly staff and a great scenery made my stay very special.

I will go back very soon!
Ciao for now!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Giovani34
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2009

it is a great hotel and the food was amazing with a breakfast and supper buffet.
We went on a great 3hr walk in the jungle.When ever you had a problem they were always helpfull.the pool was ice cold which wasnt pleasent at all!! but when i reached back home i realised i had left my ipod touch there and they managed to find it and have sent it back to me which is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the hotel was really fun and great!!

• Stayed July 2009
Cape Town, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2009

We've been to Drakensberg Sun hotel for our December holidays, and found it to be a hidden gem ! Very pleasant, lovely place to relax and unwind. Stacks of daily activities include Bingo, Guided nature walks, Bird Watching, Karaoke evenings, Hyptonist shows, Quiz Games etc. A truly amazing resort with a world of entertainment during the holidays, made this a most memorable experience. The breakfasts and dinners are fantastic with wide varieties to choose from. Plus there are various guided walks, birdwatching and hiking trails into the forest. We are definitely going back to this place for our next vacation... I'd highly recommend this resort !

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Naz501gp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winterton
Champagne Castle Hotel
Sandford Park Country Hotel
Cayley Lodge
Cayley Lodge
#1 of 17 in Winterton

Been to Drakensberg Sun Resort? Share your experiences!