“A nightmare!!”

Ranked #9 of 10 Retford B&B and Inns
Croydon, United Kingdom
“A nightmare!!”
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at the hotel 11th may midnight and it was locked. It turned out to be a pub with accommodation behind. Nobody answered calls,all doors locked. I was seated inside car till 2am when I managed to secure accommodation at the western. Out of curious it's I drove there again 8am Sunday the 12th and all lord were still kicked and calls went to voice mail. Enquiries via bookind.com used by my lient showed that Elms close 9:30 pm and don't have night duty staff. I would avoid this as accomdation in Retford especially for a late night arrival

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Adefioye K
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Elms Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Adefioye K,

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Elms Hotel in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Fayre & Square

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We ate there last Thursday,4th April, I had Steak, it had blood running out of it , so asked them to cook it a bit more, this they did , but it was so tough I could not eat it, We were told of the NO QUIBBLE GUARANTEE, half way through the meal the waitress asked us if all was ok with the meal, I say the steak was awful, all she said was I am sorry, nothing about the guarantee, at the end of the meal a Waiter came to clear the plates away & asked was everything ok , I said I could not eat the Steak as it was tough & grissly, he did offer me another one but I said it was too late & everyone had finished , we did ask if I could have a free sweet but he did not answer us. Very disappointing service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Helen B
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at Elms Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Helen B,

Thank you for your review, we are sorry to hear of the service you received whilst dinning at the Elms Hotel, we have passed your feedback to our management team and requested that they investigate your comments, we have also sent you a direct message to discuss further.

Thanks
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I had a party in the dining room for ten people was glad I booked over easter period since being taken over by square deal the food has improved a lot and the staff were very helpful, proffessional and attentive even though there was a larger party in the main function room and the bar and dining area were full they worked very hard to please everyone. We ate a variety of food off the menu mixed grills cooked to perfection, a gamon meal fish and chips, tomatoe and basil chicken and a chicken and bacon salad all pates were empty afterwards and this was 2 for 10pounds apart from the grill excellent value for money.I asked about corkage which I thought was overpriced at 8.95 so we bought a bottle of champers.
Overall good place to meet friends and dine

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank TrendyFoodFollower
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at Elms Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear TrendyFoodFollower,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we are pleased to hear you and your party enjoyed dinning with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Regards
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

On arrival duty manager was very helpful, however, the room was beyond hot and no one could turn the bathroom heating down, I had to open the main front door at 2am to cool the room down and as I stayed in the stable block on the ground floor the door opened directly to the outside this was not a safe environment for a female to be in. The bathroom had an ant problem! , the shower curtain was very stained and very uninviting to take a shower. The bed throw was stained along with the cushions on the bed, this bedding should not have been put back in the condtion it was in, it would have been better to have totally removed it if there were no clean ones available. The kettle would not turn its self off and the handle became too hot. The room was an executive suite, this room had poor lighting, the decor and furniture including carpet were poor and dated, the room above had hideous squeaky floor boards. Now for breakfast! Breakfast area was very basic and unwelcoming, coffee was in sachets I have never stayed in a hotel that do not offer fresh coffee. All I asked for was porridge, when the waitress brought it out she knew it was unacceptable and asked if I would like it a little more runny, the porridge was a cross between damp cat litter and cement. The reason given by the waitress was no one eats it so no one knew how to cook it, I asked if they have a chef and she replied, yes but he doesn't eat it so doesn't know how to cook it. Whist the waitress was very polite I had heard enough so firstly gave all my feedback to the waitress and cancelled four rooms for four reps that I booked for the end of March. No way would I ever stay there again. This all took place in front of 2 other guests who agreed about the rooms being extremely hot and were all horrified a chef could not provide a guest with a basic bowl of porridge and their cooked breakfast was cold. Someone needs to take control of this establishment as its it beyond shocking.

Room Tip: Try the Markham Moor Hotel about 4 miles away just off the A1!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Meryl L
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Elms Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Meryl L

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise about your room and the food you received for your breakfast at the Elms Hotel. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Fayre & Square

Travelers are raving about these Retford hotels

uk
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had an overnight stay at this hotel. The staff were very friendly and attentive from check-in to check-out. We ate at the hotel - was not fine dining but fairly standard pub grub and priced accordingly. We stayed in the stable block - our room was warm but the main problem we had was the very noisy floorboards - we were aware of people coming in late in the evening and those leaving early in the morning - it sounded like they were walking through our room! This did affect our sleep and would make me think twice about staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building may be quieter
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at Elms Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear UkLizcan,

Thank you for providing your review, the comments you have made regarding the floor boards have been passed to our management team so they can be addressed.

Thanks
Good Night Inns
Alnwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Much like other reviews. The room was clean but small. The floorboards drive you mad. Creak, creak, creak.
The main access to the stable block rooms was insecure and could not be secured because the lock was broken. Not very good as anyone could take a trip up the stairs to the rooms, especially from the housing estate at the rear through the broken fence, past the discarded furniture.
Considering breakfast was extra it was not that much of a bargain.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear cwud,

Thank you for providing your feedback, we have passed your comments onto our management team so that they may be addressed and the necessary action can be taken.

Many Thanks
Good Night Inns
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

called in at last minute as was tired driving home Looked ok from outside but room was freezing cold Met up with two local friends for meal You get what you pay for priced at not a lot quality not a lot

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Elms Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear 38Duncan

Many thanks for your recent review on trip advisor. It was a concern to hear of your recent visit and I would like to investigate these comments further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a private message and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind Regards

Fayre & Square
Also consider these accommodations in or near Retford
Best Western Plus West Retford Hotel
Travelodge Retford Markham Moor
Muthu Clumber Park & Hotel and Spa
Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant
Acorn Lodge Guest House
Acorn Lodge Guest House
#2 of 3 in Worksop
Best Western Lion Hotel

Been to Elms Hotel? Share your experiences!