“Consistently excellent food”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Consistently excellent food”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have been several times at varying times of day and every time the quality of the food has been superb. There is nowhere locally that is consistently this good.

2 Thank 3mma82

Retford, United Kingdom
“Service with a scowl !”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Recently visited this establishment with family and friends again in the hope that the two main front of house staff had gone to work in pastures new. Not a chance got greeted with same old scowls, groans and rudeness expected by these two characters . Really feel for the other staff who work there because the food is always good.
Anyway.. well done Basil 4 more customers lost.

2 Thank bobreev
Retford, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Myself and my partner went for a meal here this evening and throughly enjoyed it! I had the chicken special stuffed with chorizo and mozzarella and it was lovely, my partner had a steak and he enjoyed it also (and he's pretty hard to please considering he's a chef). The waitress who served us was nice and attentive, without being overbearing. The landlord was dressed casually and not in keeping with the rest of his staff, I do hesitate to mention this as I always think you go to a restaurant for the food, not what the staff are wearing but I do think this has an effect on the service. Will return.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An experience !!!!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We had a reservation. We arrived early expecting to have a drink and a smoke in the cute ish car park facing garden but it is clear that they don't like smokers as you are not allowed. Can't you read the signs? I was asked by the elderly bar man. After feeling as if I had just been caught with my fingers in the till I still had to do the walk of shame passed the table of wags who clealy heard all of this to the back door where at last I could have a ciggy with my drink. We ordered our food from the specials board with a relatively sour faced dark haird lady and could not fault the food. We did not wait long for my partners starter (white bait) to arrive then our mains of rabbit and lobster which were both exceptional and well worth the initial trauma experienced earlier. Dessert however was not exceptional as I had expected with their price tag. We will go back and try again as we now know where to smoke and how to behave around the not so happy management.

1 Thank 123foodaholic
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“This is a real Marmite restaurant!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

If you can stand the dour, humourless attitude of the management here then the range and quality of food may be worth coming for - especially if you enjoy either vast quantities of assorted seafood or seasonal game.

Unfortunately this time our salmon was way too dry, but the guinea fowl satisfied; of the two vegetarian dishes (chosen from a commendable range) one was delicious, but sadly the risotto from the specials board was watery and fell rather flat.

The deserts were more consistently appreciated by our party, and each was delightfully presented as well as being very tasty.

The waiting staff sped around as though turbocharged, and were both very pleasant when serving us - although due to the pressures they were under we saw little of them.

Apart from the dreary chain eateries, The Whitehouses is offered little competition locally in this fast moving, reasonably priced, pub grub market and so it is invariably busy, noisy and far from romantic.

Like us, you'll surely discover that you either love it or loathe it!

• Visited July 2013