“Never again!”

Ranked #26 of 100 Restaurants in Retford
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is our local restaurant/pub, but we aviod it like the plague. Not because the food or the surroundings are unpleasant, but because of the arrogance of the owner. We recently went their with our family, a party of 6, we thought we would have a drink and then decide if we were going to eat. My 80 year old mother went to sit down at a table in the bar area but was told in no uncertain terms that she could only sit in the bar if we were going to eat! This is not the only time we have encountered Jonathan's very abrupt manner, so have come to the decision not to go there again, which is a shame really becasue the food is good, but feel we would prefer to frequent somewhere where they actually value their clients.

8  Thank Garry100259

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I came here after reading so many reviews about the managment etc and hoped that I could say something different but unfortunately I cant. On my experience it wasnt that bad the owner was very rush rush when we first arrived we had barely sat down before he tried to take our order but it didnt spoil the experience because the food is so amazing the chefs brilliance is overshadowed by the people out front and lets be honest the reason people go back is because of the food nothing else because the atmosphere isnt really that great. No background music and chairs that gave me a numb bum! But it wasnt terrible and I hope that the owners read these comments and take constructive criticism because one day there will be too many unsatisfied customers and it will be game over.

4  Thank jasmin t
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The manager has a customer relations problem. Should one have the timerity to complain about his food or service, he is rude to the point of being obnoxious. I am continually surprised that he gets any return custom, although I may be guilty of returning on a number of occasions in the hope of a more pleasant atmosphere. However, to be fair, the food can be very good, but his attitude fails to improve. Is there a more unpleasant pub manager in the area?

2  Thank Fredbergin
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We enjoy the food served here but will never eat in the establishment again. As others have said, the owners / front of house are very brusque and selective with their manners. But, worst of all, the way in which they treat their staff is far far worse, bullying is too polite a term to use. Young lads in the kitchen are bullied by the family and turnover is constant; unfortunately jobs are in such short supply that they can get away with this.

7  Thank Sheelagh_13
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I am in agreement with other reviews this place offers nice,good value food but the staff are rude and very off putting.

my family have since stopped visiting this pub as we find it very unfriendly for children and the attitute of the "manager" is appaling

5  Thank sophieruck2810