“Perfect for children”

Residence Goelia Les Flocons d'Argent
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect for children”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Booked this hotel via Peak Retreats. The hotel itself is metres from the slopes, and is perfect for the beginner. My two children, aged 9 and 8 absolutely loved the resort. The skiing is not vast, but more than adequate. Our aim was to get the boys skiing, and following a disastrous first group lesson, we had a private lesson in the afternoon, and all was sorted. My wife and I spent much time skiing the same runs, but the slopes were so very quiet, it didn't matter. Many times, we would find that we were the only ones on the run itself which was fantastic.

The hotel is basic but more than adequate. It really lacks an oven, but apart from that was very warm and clean. We took our own TV/DVD (perfect for the kids), as the one that is there costs 40 euros for the week, and there are only French channels. There are several shops situated around the property, but they do seem to stock many oven foods which is a little confusing! Its not worth paying for the apartment to be cleaned. We spent about 20 minutes, wiping surfaces etc, and all was fine at the end of the week. Be sure to book your inspection time on the second morning, otherwise you may be left waiting around to have the apartment inspected.

There are numerous signs asking you not to wear boots indoors, but from our experience, everyone did, and this was probably due to the cramped ski lockers. At peak times, it was very difficult to get boots on etc, which is why I think most people ignored the signs.

One thing to stress is just how close this is to the slopes. Its perfect for children. A number of the apartments are actually on the path leading to the slopes, which means you literally ski to the door. The pool was also perfect for tired limbs at the end of the day.

One huge frustration was that we were not told about the Thursday night skiing. By the time we realised it was on, it was too late.

Overall, this is a great, cost effective hotel, ideally situated, with everything in close proximity. The drive to the resort was easy, roads smooth, and I highly recommend the Liber-T pass for the windscreen. We reckon that we saved over 3 hours in total at tolls, sailing past all the waiting traffic to the reserved lanes. Its nerve-racking every time, but the barrier raised every time and away we went. Driving time was about 10 hours from Aussois to Calais.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Jammymayc

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have just returned from a week in Aussois, left it late in the season but not a problem, the pistes were kept in excellent condition and the skiing was fantastic. The residence was perfect with all the facilities you would need (we only used the car once to go to the large supermarket in Modane). The rooms were fine so no complaints there and the view from our balcony meant that we could look out for the kids coming down the mountain.

The appartment itself was a minutes stroll from the lifts which meant no complaints about ski buses or long trudges with boots on as we've had previously.

Our four year old had one - one tuition on the slopes from the excellent Nini (ESF) and thoroughly enjoyed himself. The other two (12 & 16) had the freedom to roam around the slopes all day long without the riusk of getting lost (there is only one way back !)

The village was lovely with all the shops you would expect and a few nice places to eat out.

The mountain restaurants were excellent and we had a very nice lunch at the Montana Hotel & Restaurant followed by a hair raising ride down the 4 man chair to the foot of the slopes (was steak tartare such a good choice ?!)

We will certainly be returning, hopefully this Christmas and would thoroughly recommend this resort with Peak Retreats to anyone with a young family.

Room Tip: top floor of appartment block 4 facing the slopes.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Matt S
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

My 2 sons (10 and 12) and I visited Aussois during 2013 UK February half term. It was the first time they have been on a real skiing holiday after a disastrous attempt at Mottaret 6 years ago trying to introduce them to skiing. This was a bit of a make or break vacation with me hoping that they would enjoy skiing as much as I do. I had never heard of Aussois before and found an article on it in the Telegraph travel section where they recommended it as a good family resort. We booked through Peak Retreats who seem to offer a few lesser known ski resorts.
I was looking for somewhere with easy slopes, tuition and not too expensive during the peak season. Les Folcons and Aussois delivered on every front and at the end of the week I had 2 converted snow heads on my hands and fantastic memories of our holiday.

Les Folcons accommodation is basic, functional self catering. We had a studio type apartment that could sleep 6 although with that many people it would be crowded. It consisted of a main bedroom with 2 single beds, an alcove with a double bunk bed and a downstairs lounge/kitchen area with a sleeper sofa. The apartment has basic cooking utensils, appliances, cleaning equipment cutlery and crockery. There is a cooker hob and microwave but no oven. It appears that the microwave is a combi oven however as all the instructions were in French, which was beyond my basic understanding, I could never work out how to use it. As mentioned in previous posts, pillows aren’t great, blankets are plentiful, apartment heating is good, take your own linen or be happy to pay €10 a person. Take groceries and cleaning materials with you. The local supermarkets are expensive or take a drive to the super store in La Norma.

Les Folcons and Aussois in general is excellent for families. Don’t expect much après ski, bars and night life. There must be some but we didn’t see any. I noticed that people leave skis and snow boards un locked during the day so assume that theft is not a big problem here. My sons left their toboggans outside every night without incident.

If you want underground parking and don’t fancy digging your car out of snow the day before you leave book ahead. It’s cheaper when you book ahead and when I tried to book on the day of arrival it was full. There is however ample outside parking close to the apartments.

Our apartment was on the ground floor at the foot of the nursery slope which allowed us to walk directly to the slopes and the area where we had our daily lessons. We booked private lessons directly with ESF Aussois which for 3 of us worked out about the same as booking into group lessons. I was happy we did book private as the resort is primarily French and Dutch and you won’t find may English speakers at the resort. This means that you will find it difficult to find group lessons in English or you may miss out as English won’t be the primary language of group instruction. Our instructor was excellent and got both the boys skiing on the nursery slope on their first day.

The check out process requires you to book a checkout time which is booked the day after check in. At check in you are given an apartment inventory list and you are required to return the next day with a list of missing items. Take time to check the inventory. I found a few missing items. All breakages/missing items are deductable from your deposit. A representative will check the apartment at you allocated time and sign off your deposit. If you planning on leaving early in the morning for the drive back home get your inventory check back to reception early the next morning as times are booked on a first come basis. Early starts are the most popular and these slots go quickly.

Driving to the resort from the UK is easy. Consider getting a Eurotunnel Flexi Pass upgrade which allows you to travel at any time and day, this way there is no mad rush or long wait at the tunnel. Further the SANEF tolling tag was really useful. You can order it from the UK (Google SANEF Tolling UK). It allows you to use the nonstop toll lanes, bypass the long queues of credit card payers and no need to retrieve tickets from the wrong side of a UK car. The February half term traffic can be heavy so sitting 15 minute at each toll adds up eventually. Your UK bank account is billed via direct debit at the end of the following month of travel.

We ate a few meals at the Les Bouquetins restaurant in the Les Folcons complex. The food was good and it has regional specialities (Fondue and Raclett) as well as Pizza. Pizza about the same price as the UK. (€12) Most expensive on the menu is the fully loaded Fondue at €20 per person. We ordered 2 portions for the 3 of us and still didn’t get through it all. Overall restaurants are not too expensive and considerably cheaper than the well know ski resorts.

We loved Les Folcons and Aussois. It provided excellent value accommodation and the resort suited us as a family. We already planning our return trip for next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank lavajelly01494
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife and two boys (aged 3 and 5) have just got back from a week's holiday over New year which we booked through Peak Retreats.

I have to say that I was very impressed with this hotel. The best part about it is the location. It is literally located adjacent to the bottom of the ski lifts and is the best located accommodation in the whole town (which is quite hilly!).

The apartment itself was relatively basic, but you have all the mod cons you need (with the exception of an oven) - e.g. 4 element electric hob, microwave oven, fridge (the balcony acts as your freezer!), dishwasher, toaster, coffee making machine etc. Plenty of cutlery and crockery. The bathroom was nice and had a shower over the bath. The beds were comfortable (my wife and I pushed the 2 twin beds together, while the boys were in the bunk beds), while we did not use the sofa bed in the lounge. Pillows were not good however and you may want to bring your own if you have room in your car.

I would descirbe the accommodation as 'low maintenance' - in order not to incur charges you need to bring your own sheets (they provide lots of blankets), pillow cases and towels. You also need to clean the apartment before you leave (or you can pay for them to do it - 40 EUR I think). I would recommend bringing your own condiments, dishwasher tablets, bin bags, cleaning products etc.

As mentioned in a previous post, the TV rental is expensive (40 EUR for the week) but the reception convinced us not to hire it since it was all in French (which I thought was good of them). We brought a laptop with us and played loads of DVDs on that for the kids. We bought the Wi-Fi for the apartment for 20 EUR for the week which you can share across 2 devices.

We brought a lot of food with us as we drove from London. There is a lovely boulangerie close by, but the two supermarkets are VERY expensive, so I drove down to Modane (15 minutes drive) to a much larger supermarket where the food and wine were much more reasonable. There are 4-5 decent restaurants to eat in but are all quite dear. Lots of charming bars, cafes and delicatessens to browse in. The pool within the hotel was nice (bigger than it looks on the picture) but the water was a bit on the chilly side.

Ideal for families with young kids and relatively inexperienced skiers. Ski school was great. Would

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Paul M
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

We booked via Peak Retreats and stayed 27th Dec 2011 - 2nd Jan 2012
It is certainly not the best value of most comfortable Ski apartment we have stayed in. It was very small and not well thought out with regards to use of space and layout.. We has a 4-6 person two bedroom but I would think any more than two adults and two small children would be very uncomfortable...
Location however was superb. Fantastic resort, close to slopes and lifts. Excellent for families.
My advice would be to be aware of the size of the apartments, take your own towels and linen as the local hire costs are really high.. also a TV was 40 euros a week to watch.. very high.. We do not mind as we didn't want TV but still thought it was excessive for this who did!!
WIFI was available bu 20 euros for a week for one connection only..
I would stay here again - but we are only two adults and one child... but I would be more prepared for the extras and take towels and bedding with me.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank suez23
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aussois
L'hotel du Soleil
L'hotel du Soleil
#1 of 2 in Aussois
Hotel les Mottets
Hotel les Mottets
#2 of 2 in Aussois
Reisdence Goelia Les Chalets des Marmottes
Reisdence Goelia Les Chalets des...
#1 of 3 in Saint Jean d'Arves
Les Chalets et les Balcons de la Vanoise
Les Chalets et les Balcons de la...
#2 of 2 in Villarodin-Bourget
Les Alpages de Val Cenis
Les Alpages de Val Cenis
#2 of 10 in Lanslebourg Mont Cenis
Residence Les Hauts de Valmeinier

Been to Residence Goelia Les Flocons d'Argent? Share your experiences!