“HOME FROM HOME”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Salto
London, United Kingdom
“HOME FROM HOME”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

What a surprise in this part of Uruguay to find such a charming boutique hotel, an opportunity for a good night's rest after a long drive, with relaxing and tasteful surroundings, the most comfortable of beds, clean room and powerful shower. Although right in the centre of town, once through the door and into the extensive residential quarters, it is all peace and quiet, only disturbed by the chirping of crickets from the lovely garden at the back. You are made to feel this is "Home from Home", with a warm welcome from the owners, Marrika and Bogi and their ever attentive and friendly assistants, Cecilia and Veronica. They have tips about what to visit (well worth spending a couple of days here), including where to buy the best local wines (Bodega Salto Chico). In the morning a hearty breakfast,scrambled eggs included. Perhaps all that was missing to complete the homely atmosphere, though not a criticism, was the presence of a family cat or dog though no doubt not permitted by local health and safety regulations.

Room Tip: All rooms nice and tastfully decorated and integrated with the communal areas. There is only one roo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PETES04

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Montevideo, Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Its architecture, decoration and furniture are painfully beautiful. European style, every single thing clean and neat.
The service was perfect thanks to Cecilia, Veronica and Maria It felt like the best home I've ever had. It definitely feels like HOME.
Breakfast couldn't be more complete and healthier. Organic eggs, seeds, cereals, bread, fruits everything garnished by beautiful music and attractive tableware.
Fell in love with Salto and this Hotel.

Room Tip: They are all divine.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
los angeles, CA
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I enjoy our short stay at this hotel and the breakfast, which is healthy and tastefully presented and served. The service is amazing too.
I would return if I had the chance. I love the decor, bed linens, overall great attention to details. Best place I stayed in Uruguay by far.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rpkusa
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I really wanted to give this place full marks. And I was going to up until the last moment.

Let me start by saying that this hotel is exquisite. The rooms are decorated to perfection and it could not have been more beautiful. Each piece in each room was unique and carefully selected and it was both tremendously aesthetic without losing out on comfort. The staff was also very friendly and helpful.

Everything was perfect until checkout when they slapped on an extra $20 for "service charges". This turned out to be the coffee that they had offered me when I first arrived, without me requesting one (and which I first declined but then accepted when she said "no, really, I'll make you one") and the hot water and yerba for my boyfriend's mate (which he did request). Firstly, charging $20 for a coffee and some yerba is ridiculous but what's worse, they didn't tell us there would be a charge, let alone an exorbitant one. If they had said it would have cost $10 a piece, we would have politely declined.

That's my only complaint. And despite the overcharge for the service, the rooms are very well-priced for their quality. My only other comment is that our room only had a tiny window, which normally would be a deal-breaker for me but the room itself was so beautiful that it didn't matter.

To conclude: definitely stay here if you visit Salto but I'd advise to ask the cost of some things they "offer" you or that you request.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hannah H H
m r, General Manager at Art Hotel Deco, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Guest,
many thanks for your visit at our hotel. For better understanding, the surcharge of $20 was not really overdone. It was charged to cover not only for coffee and mate, but also for an early check in at 6:30 in the morning and taking care of third party baggage while you were away. Any further doubt, please don't hesitate in contacting us.
All the best ART HOTEL DECO
MVD
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I won't repeat all previous reviews (just read them), but in summary, pleasently surprised, charming place, comfortable, treated personally. Asked for late check in and they gave us for a low additional rate I had been in many different hotels, no one like this one. You will feel like in your home or better.
No activities for Children, perhaps it should have some. Didn't see swimming pool.
o parking garage but you have a reserved parking space in the street for your car.
No frigobar in the rooms but its so small hotel I didn-t think its necessary...just ask for what you need and sure you will have it. Service is excellent.
Did not publish room pictures becasue I got in a hurry and forgot to take them before being a mess ;-)
Just give a try!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank CharlesUY
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The first thing i had to say when walking into this amazing boutique hotel was WOW! The second..sleep! To say our stay here was the best is not giving enough credit. First off all, they allowed us early check in with no charge since we arrived at 7am from an overnight bus from Buenos Aires, Argentina. We slept like babies on the most comfortable beds with the best bedding and dealt with the check in after we were rested.

The hotel itself is decorated amazingly! Every room is breathtaking and perfect. We were part of a wedding so we had the entire place to ourselves. We passed our days sitting in the courtyard outside our rooms eating and having beers and wine. The staff is superb and bent over backwards for us. Even going out to buy us beers when we ran out and order food for us.

The rooms are huge and have attached bathroom that are pure luxury! And so clean!

There is also a beautiful luxe garden at the back with a small workout room with ful bathroom and steam room that we took advantage of. The owners are also a lovely couple and helped us get the best rate possible to exchange money.

I would reccommend this place to EVRYONE and plan on going back one day soon!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great! Amazign decoration. Whichever room you get will be amazing.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank latinspice08
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We were more than pleasantly surprised when we arrived at our destination in Salto, Uruguay. We were greeted by Bogi, Marrika and Veronica, all of whom treated us like personal guests! The hotel, which is really a lovely home renovated and decorated by owners Bogi and Marrika, was a lovely retreat where we enjoyed a relaxing glass of wine in the evening in the enclosed, yet outdoor patio, lovely breakfasts in the dinning room and we were able to walk to the lively downtown street scene just two blocks away. I would return to Salto just to stay here! We have enjoyed staying at some lovely locations and this is one our top 5! Don't miss it if you are in the area.

Room Tip: we were the only travelers there so all the rooms were great, but if there had been others a room wi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple