“Nice Property, Useless Location”

Courtyard Paris Arcueil
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Arcueil
GreenLeadersSilver level
NY, NY
“Nice Property, Useless Location”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I too don't understand the complaints in other reviews- I felt check-in and service were excellent, the property was new, clean and comfortable, and the breakfast was somewhere between adequate and good.

My problem was that it wasn't close to anything and there wasn't anywhere notably good to eat nearby. It was a seven minute (give or take) walk to the LaPlace stop on the B line of the RATP, which actually requires a different (and more expensive) ticket than the rest of the Metro. So it's generally annoying to get into central Paris, though it isn't actually that far away.

Also, my company's offices are just a few KM away, which is why I selected the hotel. But in morning rush hour, the taxi ride was around 25 Euros, which is pretty ridiculous. I get that they have the meter running from when they're called, it just seems questionable. Either way, it's a ton of money for a short cab ride.

So basically, the hotel wasn't convenient for my business needs, nor was it for my one day of touring Paris.

But again, the staff and property itself were excellent in my view.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here over a long weekend for the second time, the first time being the same weekend last year. Again very happy with the hotel and really don't understand some people's issues. During our stay some arrogant individual made a huge scene about the croissant basket being empty for afew minutes during the 4 hour breakfast sitting, despite (1) the chef having just specially made him scrambled eggs as requested and served very nicely, (2) any empty baskets being refilled regularly throughout the 4 hour sitting, and (3) the broad variety of choice. A truly shameful, arrogant display and how I wished the manager could have kicked him out the hotel.

Location - the hotel is between 5 to 7 minutes walk from the Zone 2 RER station Laplace. It's an easy walk through a safe neighbourhood. Much less construction now than a year ago so noise no longer an issue. Shopping centre is excellent for general provisions, chain coffee shops/restaurants and general retail therapy (assuming you don't expect to find Louis Vuitton on every corner). Trains are frequent and take under 20 minutes to reach the centre (Zone 2 is obviously not the outskirts, it's like staying in Wandsworth if you were visiting London). If that's too long for you then either slum it in a cheap hotel within Zone 1 in a less than pleasant area or pay an extortionate amount to stay in a hotel of a similar rating to this but within Zone 1. That's your choice, if you don't research beforehand that's your fault.

Rooms/facilities - can't believe anyone would say the rooms are small, they are large by Paris standards. Very clean and immaculately presented. Gym is spacious and offers as much as anyone needs. Air-con works fine if you read the instructions. Paying for wifi is an issue, but you can get a superior room that includes unlimited wifi and breakfast, and still costs much less (over £100) less than a remotely similar class hotel (without breakfast) in Zone 1.

Staff - never had any problem, they are always helpful when you ask them, like when the reception kindly printed out an boat cruise voucher for me. Admittedly they perhaps aren't as attentive as some hotels, where the porter etc. jumps on you the second you arrive, but personally to me the staff here strike a good balance between being helpful whilst not being too overbearing.

Food - never eaten lunch or dinner at the hotel, but always find the breakfast excellent, with a broad variety of choice covering both cereals, different cold and hot drinks, pastries and bread, eggs, sausages and bacon and cold meats, fruit, cheeses and yoghurts. A similar breakfast would cost upwards of 20 euro in any hotel in Zone 1 and not offer a better selection.

Overall I really cannot fault this hotel after two stays. I feel that too many negative reviewers who post on here simply do not research the location before their arrival.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank pavel-34
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 1, 2012

In a nutshell, the Marriott Arcueil is a comfortable hotel on the Southern outskirts of Paris. It is a little far from the main tourist attractions but there is a train station not too far away which takes you directly in to the centre without changing. The rooms are a descent size with comfortable beds. Everything is quite new in the hotel. The staff were always very friendly, smiling and helpful with all questions taking time to give is good directions and double check things online if needed. I paid 210 euros per night, which I think it a little expensive for this hotel.

Location: The hotel is just on the outskirts of Paris to the South. By taxi, it takes about 10 minutes to get to the Port of Versailles, about 45 minutes to Orly airport, about 45 minutes to Gare Nord train station, and about 25 minutes to get to the Eiffel Tower. But that all depends on the traffic. There is a train station within 5 minutes walk of the hotel which is on the same like as Gare Nord. The hotel is across the road from a shopping center and has a couple of restaurants within walking distance. Overall, it is a little too far from the main tourist attractions in Paris.

Rooms: The rooms are a good size for Paris. I had a standard room which had a king size bed, little sitting area, and desk. There was a kettle with everything to make tea and coffee, a safe, and fridge in the room. The internet did not have a connection port, just wireless, but it was pretty fast and stable. The beds were quite comfortable with good pillows.

Bathroom: It was quite small but an ok size. Just a shower, no tub. They provide some basic shampoos and body wash but there was no bar of soap in my bathroom so I had to use the body wash for my hands. Also, one of the "clean" towels one day had some strange dirty dark flecks and some hairs on it... so very nice. For that reason, I dropped the star rating by one more.

Restaurant: Breakfast was included but a strange combination of items which changed a little each day. Some continental cold meat and cheese options, some fruit, bread, and some cooked options like eggs, sausages, and hash browns. I ate lunch there once and it was a little strange as the crab salad had 4 small pieces of crab and an entire avocado sliced in half.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ukmagicman
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Hotel is new and clean, but do not expect much more. Check in was ok, rooms are rather small with a little noisy aircon - even in position off. Was trying a little to play with the settings until I found a small sentence - "it takes 15-20 minutes to accept new settings by the system" - after that I gave up, room was quite cold, but clean. For the price (paid some 155 EUR without breakfast) the hotel is overpriced.

Practical information :
- ca 10min from RER B (e.g.from CDG airport) - if its your first time in Paris, not all trains stop at La Place (the closest station) - check the screens on the platforms of your train. From CDG costs some 13 EUR
- there is a new department store opposite the hotel with McDonalds, Chinese, Japanese, French "fast food type" restaurant - if you want food for good price, its your choice
- breakfast is 18 EUR

For Gold/Platin - don’t expect anything extra (but free internet). Room upgrade - only if you ask. For me it was only upgrade from 3rd to 5th floor, next to elevator (though quiet), no bath tube anything. As this is Courtyard - no free breakfast for gold/platin and no lounge or any other benefits.

Conclusion : overpriced but clean and no status benefits - next time I will not stay here, still far away from Marriott or other 4 star hotels hospitality

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank x_____Honza_____x
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed here on two occasions in successive weeks. Let me list the issues:
1. Front desk service was poor. Had to wait in line for a long time to check in. And the attitude was not the normal "cheerful Marriott" style that is really the signature of this hotel brand.

2. The A/C in my room did not work, it was hot outside. I called repeatedly to the front desk to complain, and again, a rude statement that the A/C was broken, and they were "working on it". Well they never did fix it and I spent the night in a "sweat box" with very poor night's sleep. I was physically drained from sleeping in this environment the entire evening.

3. I demanded that the GM call me, and the best they could do was have the ASSISTANT GM write me a nice note. This may be the root of the issue. The hotel has a major issue with A/C, and he is "above" personally getting involved with an emergency repair, and even doing 'damage control" with the guests. No wonder the attitude of the front desk is poor, it probably emanates from the GM's lack of involvement and interest.

4. The bed was too hard. I stay in Marriott properties around the world for their signature pillow soft beds. This one was like a cheap motel in Germany.

5. Pillows- same problem as the bed.

Positives:

On my second stay, a wonderful, cheerful, helpful front desk person. The breakfast was very good on both stays.

This place needs improvement. But the location is good. I recommend the restaurants across the street.

Room Tip: Make sure the A/C works before you unpack your bags.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank nonnino
Frederic_Schaub1, General Manager at Courtyard Paris Arcueil, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear ‘nonnino’,

I would like to thank you for your feedback provided and information like yours always help us to improve our quality of service we provide to our guests.

On behalf of my team I would like to personally apologize for the inconveniences occurred during your first stay with us. I also do apologize that the information to contact you did not reach me just until now and due to the fact that I am a Cluster GM, our Operations Manager Ali was assisting you during your stay.

Currently, all air-conditioning units are under review to assure full functionality for our guests. I would also like to inform you that the current Courtyard Bed will be upgraded until the end of 2013 as we now have also the option to utilize the down topper on the mattress which is also used at our Marriott and Renaissance Hotels. In addition, the pillows will be changed as well.

I thank you again for your comments and it would be a real pleasure having you staying with us again in the near future.

Kindest regards

Arne Klehn | General Manager
Tbilisi, Georgia
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have been in Paris this August and stayed in this Hotel. Rooms are really nice, comfortable, with coffee tea service which is really important for me. clean organized rooms. Staff was really very helpful and they really made me feel special, anytime I needed anything they did their best to help and payed perfect attention. I want to say special thanks to MEGANIE lady from f/b department who worked on breakfast, she is so nice, polite and hard working person I was amazed, she really made my stay special in this hotel. Location is also great cause there is bas stop really close to the Hotel which takes you straight to metro station and there is huge shopping center just in front of the Hotel where you can buy anything, I loved Monoprix supermarket. I love this city and this Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tiko S
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed here in the end of August with my family. It was perfect for us at the train station was 1/2 mile away and th mall was across the street. The hotel itself was very clean and the staff was friendly. The gift shop and the restaurant at the hotel were great.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcueil
Courtyard Paris Boulogne
#1 of 24 in Boulogne-Billancourt
Montparnasse
Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center
Residence Chlorophylle
#3 of 4 in Arcueil

Been to Courtyard Paris Arcueil? Share your experiences!