“Peace and tranquility in a fantastic setting”

Carleton Green Country House B & B
Ranked #3 of 5 Holmrook B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 3, 2012

If you are heading to the lake district then I would heartily suggest staying at Carleton Green. Alan and Allison were terrific hosts and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms are tastefully decorated and have everything you could want for your stay. Breakfast in the morning is relaxed and delicious with plenty to keep you stocked up till dinner time. The house iteself has been lovingly and tastefuly restored and I had a fantastic nights sleep, the bed was so comfortable. My husband is coeliac and they had even provided gluten free cookies in our room for him. There attention to detail was brilliant and I will definately be heading there again.

Room Tip: There are 5 rooms and all are of exceptional standard.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mortqueen

Reviewed March 6, 2012

So often we have arrived at our destination and been disappointed with what we find, but with Carleton Green it is the exact opposite, everything exceeds expectation.
The house is truly beautiful, like you have walked into a a page of Country Living magazine with an overall classy and tasteful impression. We arrived at 6pm to candle lit hall and burning stove. We stayed in the Four poster room and it was luxurious in the extreme with gigantic bed as wide as it is long with super comfy mattress, thick cosy bathrobes, enormous towels, huge free standing roll top bath and powerful hot shower. Nice detail touches were home baking on a cake stand, selection of teas etc, ipod dock, big flat screen TV. Stunning country views. Breakfast is in a bright sunny georgian room with delicious perfectly cooked breakfast, Dorset cereals, fresh fruit salad, compote etc. Service is perfect. Alan & Alison also recommended good eateries nearby and they were not wrong - we strayed from their advice and stopped in by a place we were passing one evening and regretted it!!

Overall we were made to feel very very welcome and really enjoyed a couple of days of luxury in the lakes and we couldn't recommend them highly enough

Room Tip: All rooms look fantastic but the ensuites would be our choice.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank abp35
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Alan and Alison, the owners, are just adorable. The phrase "can't do enough to help" is over-used but in their case is absolutely true, from making the reservation to the time that I (very reluctantly) left.

I booked for a 2 night stay in early February for a business trip and after a 7 hour journey was so delighted to find a tea tray with homemade cakes, a great selection of teas and china crockery in my gorgeous 4 poster room. It was just what I needed!

Alan recommended a number of places to eat in the area which were all within a 10-15 minute drive. I tried two - a pizzeria and a pub in Wasdale and both were great. There's a third I'd very much like to try when I manage a return visit.

I really did feel like I was being totally pampered at Carleton Green. The lounge is light and airy with sofas to sink into and a log burner to keep it cosy. The bed was heavenly and there was both a power shower for mornings and a lovely slipper bath for an indulgent evening soak in my bathroom. Breakfast is a real treat. It is delicious, freshly cooked, plentiful and the care and attention that Alan and Alison put into it is mirrored in everything they do. It is clear that they love Carleton Green and want everyone who stays there to love it too. The house has a lovely warm atmosphere (even on chilly days) and is full of mirrors, candles, room scents and I even had a vase of daffodils in my room when I arrived.

As I was working on the trip I didn't get to explore the area but Carleton Green is very close to Ravenglass so that will be on my agenda next time.

I can't thank Alan and Alison enough for their hospitality......or for letting me stay a third night as work over-ran and they weren't busy that night.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank lovethegoodthings
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We chose Carleton Green for a 2 night break to celebrate our 20 years. We were not disappointed. Comfy bed, soft fluffy towels and robes, tasty and filling breakfast, friendly host and hostess. What more could you ask for? Decent weather probably! Unfortunately that is beyond Alan and Alison's control, but they can just about sort anything else for you!
Good places to visit, eat, lots of local knowledge.
Well worth a visit.
Thank you Alan & Alison. Hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chillikaz
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights after our wedding. We wanted a place to switch off our phones and just relax, do what we wanted. That is exactly what we found.
When we arrived you could just tell how much effort and passion had gone into everything. Rooms well decorated and very clean. Bath robes so fluffy and heavy you didn't want to get out if them.
Breakfast was fantastic, cereals, youghurts, juice and one of the most amazing cooked breakfasts we have had.

This guest house puts so many 4 and 5 star hotels to shame.

We plan to make this our weekend hideaway and will be returning as often as possible.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank smurfuk76
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My partner and I stayed for two nights in the Carleton Green b & b recently. We had a very warm welcome, the owners are very friendly. The b & b is very clean and tidy and the bed was the comfiest we've ever slept in. There was also a large vase full of fresh flowers in the room which was a nice touch, along with a few cakes everyday too. The breakfasts were delicious and very satisfying.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and we're looking forward to our next visit. I just wish we could have stayed a little longer.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adventurers56
Reviewed August 12, 2011

As the title suggests everything about this place was top quality. Nothing was to much trouble for Alan and Alison our hosts. Couldnt fault a thing apart from the weather !!
Will definitly stay again.

Room Tip: Its got to be the four poster room
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank buzzlightyearUk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holmrook
Lutwidge Arms Hotel
The Old School Bed and Breakfast and Betty's Cottage
The Santon Bridge Inn
The Santon Bridge Inn
#2 of 5 in Holmrook

Been to Carleton Green Country House B & B? Share your experiences!