“Dream come true”

$101.06*
Private Day Tour of Luoyang Shaolin Temple and Longmen Grottoes Including Lunch
$213.00*
and up
Xi'an to Louyang Private Day Tour by High Speed Train: Longmen Grottoes and...
$249.00*
One Day Tour: Luoyang Shaolin Kung Fu Trip by High Speed Train From Xi'an
Ranked #1 of 31 things to do in Dengfeng
More attraction details
Owner description: This is a famous martial arts monastery, the birthplace of both kung fu and Zen Buddhism
Markham, Canada
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Dream come true”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I saw the movie, Shaolin when I was a kid and since then I've been hooked onto kung-fu. It's commercialized now but with that aside, it's a dream come true. You can see the kids practising wushu on the grounds. Also, Dengfeng's largest wushu school has a large training ground at Shaolin temple entrance. It was just way too cool to watch. Ok, onto the real description of the place...there's a main gate (looks newly built)where you can buy your tickets, a gift shop, general info about the place and tour guides(seems official with ID) soliciting people who want a guide (these type of tour guides seem to be present at most major tourist attractions). Then you walk a bit passing training fields and the kung-fu schools to get to the performance auditorium. It's about 1k walk to get to the actual Shaolin Temple and then more walking to see the Pagoda forest. Apparently, there are shuttles you can pay if you don't feel like walking. The performance was amazing except for the fact that they cheapened the show by selling DVDS (20 RMB) during the performances. Also if you want a pic with the performers, you would also need to pay. There was a brash man yelling at audience members for the money. The actual temple was just oozing with history. For a kung-fu fanatic, the ultimate site was the training hall. Unfortunately, it's sealed to preserve the relics but it's still just awesome to see the concaved floors from their training in the past. I found out that my travel agent, COT, had arranged a 1/2 day training and the other 1/2 day climbing up the mountain to the Darma caves. Too late for us but if you love martial arts, this is a must place to see.

Visited March 2014

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Not remarkable”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

As it is less than 1h drive from Longmen, we decided to visit Shaolin Temple (少林寺) despite the advice from our wonderful guide; Bryan that it is too commercialized with many of the temples newly reconstructed.

Our first stop was Pagoda Forest (塔林). This is the place where prominent monks and abbots of the temple are buried. There are many of them of various sizes ranging from tang, song, jin, yuan, ming and qing dynasties so some of them are more than 1,000+ year old.

The actual façade of Shaolin Temple (少林寺) is so small that wasn't quite what I expected. You really have to give credit to the cameramen that have been so successful to film it in such a way that it looks so majestic and grand from the movie....perception of Shaolin Temple (少林寺) is still so strong so job well done from marketing/branding perspectives for creating positive perception....

Although it didn't meet my expectation, this trip at least kind of satisfied my childhood dream to visit Shaolin Temple (少林寺).

Visited February 2014
7 Thank ru2bz4me
Taiping, Malaysia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“You wouldn't want to miss the mountain behind the Shaolin Temple”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

There is a small mountain just behind the 初祖庵 temple. It takes me around 1 and 1/2 hour to climb to the top. The view from the top is simply magnificent. The trip to the temple should take up one day, I went there quite late and did not manage to finish visiting all the attraction. So reach there early!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank The-Awkward-Asian
Jakarta, Indonesia
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“A must!”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We took the tour together with Longmen Grottoes, just because of the distance (and time constraint). Should I had more time, i would have done it seperately and enjoy each more.

The area is huge, and I should say an easy full day spent there.
Liked the ambience since the entrance...
I like the kungfu school we passed by... , to see how they do their training, and how they are divied by age/how young they are..
I liked the kungfu show, and I should say it is too short... and i expected more "show", more style/stance.. more thrill...
AND! i just wished I could enter the pagoda forrest...., I didnt ask why we couldnt..., so we just took some photos from outside the fence...

Visited October 2013
1 Thank fr4nc1sc4
Xi'an, China
“A nice place to go”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

we took the high speed train to luo yang then took taxi to there and the area is huge and much bigger than my imagine and when i was yong, i saw Jade Li,first movie " Shaolin Temple" ,i just wish to go to there
the nice area and you can see the monks and kongFu school everywhere and many 7-10 years old monks left the deep impression and they all refused to take photo with us
and the entrancee tickets include KONG FU show ,it's quite nice but short
and we even took the cabke car to Song Shan , the moutain is nice
for the time resaon, we can't see the big kong fu show in the evening ( as i heard ,it's so great) and we had to take the taxi back

Visited December 2012