“plain service, plain food, plain experience”

Blazing Copper Restaurant - Heartland Hotel Croydon
Ranked #8 of 24 Restaurants in Gore
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A Vibrant Restaurant, newly renovated with an intimate feel, great outdoor dining in the summer and a warm and friendly winter place with our "Blazing Copper" fire place. Award winning dishes with a focus on great service.
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Sorry guys but tonight was certainly not up to what we should expect from you. On arrival we were greated and taken to our table - a smile here would have gone along way. My soon to be eighteen daughter was asked if she wanted the kids menu? And then not offered any other until we asked. Drinks order was taken and then as they were delivered they enquired if we where ready to order, we were and then waited while she went to get her book? Orders were taken and to be fair the food was ok, just. Bread selection to start consisted of two types of bread which was certainly not worth the $13.50 price tag, either in quantity or quality. My son had ordered the ribeye and asked for chips and some sauce which was no problem, but we ordered medium and recieved well done, the additional sauce asked for when ordering had to be re asked for after it was delivered. Interesting that they have no sauce of anykind with the steak on the menu? I had the venison which was quite well cooked, but let down by the baby carrots which were obviously from a packet out of the freezer - it is summer so surely fresh produce is available. Another disappointment here was the cutlery - definitely never been polished and I had to exchange my fork as it still had food smears visible. To cap off a less than enjoyable experience at the table they then began clearing some plates while some of our party were still eating - a definite no no. And then the real kicker as I went to pay with the same waitress who had served us all evening - she asked what I was doing and where I had been sitting - they only had four other tables with three waitresses working so defintiely not busy, and charged a kids tumbler fizz as a full size? Come on.
This is my first review and I have not intentionally been harsh, but with some experience in the industry I would expect a whole lot more from the service side of what is supposedly Gore's premier accommodation venue.

GoreManager, General Manager at Blazing Copper Restaurant - Heartland Hotel Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

Dear Barry F,
I really appreciate your comments and I have passed these onto to all the staff.
This is a good review from a training perspective as it lets the staff know what guests are looking for.

Much appreciated

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Dined at the restaurant last night with my boyfriend, and the meal was fantastic! We were both very impressed, and as I am a former chef and work in the hotel industry I tend to be a little overly critical. Julianne was our waitress and she was wonderful, casual enough to make us feel welcome but very professional in her approach. She was even generous enough to take our picture when we ask her!!
As I am a soon to be local down in Gore we will definitely be back.

Thanks
Trudy and Scott

GoreManager, General Manager at Blazing Copper Restaurant - Heartland Hotel Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Wow, what a cool review, thank you for your kind words, Julianne was really happy that you mentioned her.
If you are moving to Gore and you are looking for a job please come in and see me, we are searching for another chef.

Thanks

Reviewed October 7, 2013

dinning experience was great, the waitress nice and friendly, and the food was lovely. will be back again A++

GoreManager, General Manager at Blazing Copper Restaurant - Heartland Hotel Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Hi GinaB,
I am really pleased you enjoyed the meal and the service. We are just in the process of designing our new summer menu which will be even yummier so we hope you call again.

Kind Regards

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Again another fantastic meal. The menu still does not fail to deliver on taste and service was impeccable.

GoreManager, General Manager at Blazing Copper Restaurant - Heartland Hotel Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Tatonka96,
Thank you so much for wonderfull comments, you have made my day.

We are just in the process of changing to our summer menu so look out and if you have any suggestions don't hesitate to let us know, now is the time.

Many thanks

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Went here for dinner. New refurbishment looks good. Nice fire place but it wasn't on. It was cold.
On menu food looks good, but did not deliver on the plate. I think they should stick to bistro meals, steak and chips style, as the meals other patrons got looked good. The level of fine dining they were offering they did not deliver on.

Dear NZtripped,
Thanks for taking the time to review our restaurant, it is always helpful to recieve feedback so we can look at any issues and learn from them, I have showed the team your comments and they have acknowledged your comments as we are just in the process of changing our menu.
Sorry about the fire as we have had some issues with the gas however we do have a good alround heating system so not sure why the restaurant was cold.
I do hope you try us again as I have mentioned we are always learning and changing according to our customers needs.

Kind Regards