North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores

Great Place Off Season

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Jeff K
Winston Salem, North Carolina

All reviews rainy day shark tank nature trail river otters dairy queen all ages north carolina aquarium behind the scenes u boat aquatic life large fish clams bird show great exhibits snake exhibit horseshoe crabs salt water
Reviewed 1 week ago

When we visited they had a temporary display of dinosaurs which our nephew LOVED. The aquarium it’s self is well laid out. They had displays of locally found sea life, otters, touch tanks and plenty of places to grab family photos. The gift shop had items available from a variety of price ranges. We were not a fan of the attached Dairy Queen – save yourself the heart ache and get food elsewhere.

Plenty of parking even for larger RVs.

We are fellow travelers and have always appreciated when people write about their experiences so we can make informed decisions on what to do while traveling. If this review provided value for you, please hit the “helpful” button so we know we’ve been helpful in your journey. To see more photos of places to visit across America follow us on Instagram: @hopalongrving

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

See all the local marine life in one of the better aquariums I've been to. Helpful staff. Walking trails by the marsh. Touch tanks. Everything well kept up and worth a visit.

1  Thank Jeff K
Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

We decided to check out the aquarium the day before we left. Rates were very reasonable. There was all kinds of interactions and q&a's with the staff. We were pleastly surprised to see the dinosaur exhibit at the aquarium. The touch area with sting rays, horseshoe crabs, ect. was one of my favorites.

Reviewed October 6, 2018 via mobile

Visited the North Carolina Aquarium today and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the exhibitions. With hurricane Florence destruction all around it was an escape for the afternoon. Facility is well maintained and spotless. Staff is friendly and helpful. Reasonable admission with senior and active military discounts. Very educational about the local area marine environment. Definitely a hidden gem.

Reviewed October 5, 2018 via mobile

A very nice limited variety of species. Don’t get me wrong there were many types of fish and amphibians but don’t go expected exhibitions like at aquariums in Atlanta or New Orleans.

Made for a nice leisurely activity where you can sit and watch certain exhibits. The otters was particularly nice.

The workers at the otter and sting ray tanks were very nice and knowledgeable.

Reviewed October 3, 2018

It might seem like a smallish aquarium but it has tons of exhibits. The staff was so amazing and the exhibits were very interesting.

Reviewed September 18, 2018

My 3.5 year old grandson had an awesome time showing me around to all the various exhibits and knew exactly where which ones he liked the most were located. He's been there a few times.....Everyone was very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about the animals. He loved the fact that he could help save the turtles and nurse them back to health. My grandson absolutely loved the dinosaur exhibit as well!!! Great Idea!! I hope it feared well during Hurricane Florence!!!!

Reviewed September 12, 2018

Brought our 3.5 year old grandson to see the fish, and were lucky enough to see the last day of the Dinosaurs exhibit. I've worked on a lot of world-class science and children's museum exhibits, and I was very impressed. The exhibits are great, and everything was impeccably clean and well-maintained. Totally enjoyable visit. You should go!

Reviewed September 12, 2018 via mobile

Eight of us went, including my one year old granddaughter. Everyone was really friendly, aquarium was clean, more than enough parking..we got the souvenir picture package which turned out great. The guy that took the picture was super nice and girls at the picture counter were very helpful in helping us decide when to leave with the calls for the storm arriving. We had to cut our trip short because of the upcoming storm but glad we were able to visit here and get a souvenir of our family together.

Reviewed August 30, 2018

Our entire family was amazed by what this aquarium had to offer. We went last year for a one day trip and are planning to return in a few weeks. I would recommend this stop to anyone who enjoys learning as it is packed with knowledge of all types of sea life that can be viewed first hand. My daughter thought that she would not be interested at all and ended up loving the experience.