“Charming people and special place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caledon
Rouxwil Country House
Ranked #1 of 11 Caledon B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We have stayed at Rouxwil before so knew what to expect and, once again, Thys and Onel excelled.
The rooms are filled with all manner of carefully selected extras, a warmed bed awaits and is much appreciated on a cool spring evening, meals are up to top restaurant standards and the hospitality of our hosts made us so pleased to be "home" again.
Once again we had booked to stay 2 nights and once again we wished we had time in our schedule to stay longer.
Thys and Onel made us feel as though we are long time friends, we picked up where we left off at the end of our previous visit and we know that when we return the same welcome will be there.
A special place made by special people.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Rouxwil Country House on our first visit to the Overberg region of South Africa in early October. Overall, we were a bit disappointed in our stay. Rouxwil is a working wheat and sheep farm, and the owners, Thys and O'Nel, were very busy with the farm, I guess, as they weren't able to provide the hands-on service that I had been expecting from a 5-star owner-run accommodation. We stayed at 6 accommodations in South Africa on our September/October trip, and Rouxwil is the only one which disappointed us.

We arrived in the afternoon, and neither of the owners met us. We were greeted by smiling staff and shown politely to our room. But the staff at Rouxwil isn't trained to orient visitors to Rouxwil nor to the Overberg region, nor to converse with visitors. They are the silent hard workers behind the scene, for the most part. We were left in our room with all of our unanswered questions, and we couldn't figure out how to turn on the heat! The weather was a bit cold & often rainy during our stay.

We didn't meet the owners, Thys and O'Nel, until dinner, and by then, there were other guests as well. Therefore we had no chance at all to get the orientation & help which we needed. Although it says on their web-site “from arrival, emphasis is placed on individual interests and comfort”, I don't feel this worked out for us.

After dinner, we asked the owners for help and advice, but Thys said “we do that in the morning”. Then he left us standing in the room in the main house and went off to bed. O'Nel was going to follow, but we persuaded her to come to our room to show us how to turn on our heater! She was reluctant, but she did come with us. Otherwise it would have been a cold night!!

The next morning, Thys left for appointments after breakfast, leaving O'Nel to answer any guests questions and to deal with any guests who had to check out each day. Therefore, we had to wait to speak with O'Nel, and she only had a little time. So we did get a map and some advice for the day, but were never able, during our entire stay, to get enough time with the owners to get all the help that we needed. Although O'Nel had offered by email to make me reservations for a massage & a swim somewhere in the area, I had to give up on that, as I couldn't get enough time with her to get her to make those arrangements.

During our 3-night stay, wifi was spotty, and only available in the main house. We struggled to try to confirm our flights, and more than once, the owners just left us sitting there in vain, trying to confirm our flights, without helping, despite our letting them know that we were having difficulty with this.

Once, just as I was entering my room, the electricity went off, and bulb(s) in the chandelier shattered, scattering glass on the bed, on the top of the dresser, and all over the floor in quite a wide area. It was startling. After that, I was nervous about the electricity in the room. Fortunately, Hanna, a staff member, happened to come along just then with milk tarts as a surprise for us. Hanna cleaned up the glass that we could see with a little hand-held broom, and I picked the glass off of the bed. I called O'Nel on her cell phone, but she wasn't at all helpful, and kept saying “You must have turned something on.” In the end, Hanna and my husband and I cleaned up most of the glass, although I'm sure we didn't find it all, and my husband got the electricity back on. We didn't know til later that the same thing happened to the people in the room next to us. Accidents can happen anywhere...but I feel O'Nel didn't handle it well.

We just got off on the wrong foot with the owners from the start. It is my belief that Thys and O'Nel are a likeable, outgoing, and very busy couple who are overwhelmed with running two businesses – the farm and the guesthouse. My suggestion is that they hire a staff member who is trained to orient visitors to Rouxwil and to the Overberg region, answer their questions, and make reservations such as massage or restaurant reservations as needed.

Here is what I liked about Rouxwil: the food is excellent. We had 3 breakfasts and 2 dinners, including 1 braai. The braai was outstanding, and the other meals were very tasty. I especially like the 2 recipes which O'Nel served using the “waterblommetjies” as vegetables. They grow in the dams and marshes of the Western Cape. Thys, who has a great sense of humor, kept us entertained as he cooked bread and meats on the braai. The braai was my favorite meal at Rouxwil. (Note that breakfast is included in the room price, but dinner is an extra charge.)

Breakfast was pretty tasty as well, although O'Nel was a bit distracted, and 2 days in a row, she asked me what kind of eggs I wanted, and then brought me fried eggs cooked til the yolks are hard, which isn't what I ordered. (I even tried ordering scrambled eggs, and still got fried eggs over hard instead!)

We had a surprise on our final bill, as we had assumed that wine is included with dinner. We stayed at several other guesthouses where wine was included with the dinner price. I checked my info from O'Nel, and this point was never clarified in our correspondence. Fortunately we didn't drink too much wine...I had a glass before dinner and then 1 or 2 more glasses with my meal. But nobody likes surprises on the bill. But the unexpected charges for wine on our bill were high enough to make my husband grumbly.

Our room was spacious and romantic, with a big comfty king bed, and a romantic bathroom with a lovely bathtub, a separate big shower, and dried flowers nicely placed here and there. The heater works nicely, after you know how to work it. There is an electric pot to heat water for tea.

How will YOU feel about a stay at Rouxwil? Here is my advice. What is your priority? If your priorities are great food, a luxurious “country” style room, and a lot of peace and quiet...then you will love Rouxwil. But if your top priorities are location and hands-on-service by the owners, then you might want to book elsewhere.

We also didn't like the location of Rouxwil, as our favorite part of the Overberg turned out to be the coastal areas. We wish we had stayed in de Kelders or near Hermanus or near the Harold Porter Botanic garden (which we didn't have time to see.)

To give you a sense of Rouxwil's location...after breakfast at Rouxwil, we took a day-trip in our car to visit Hermanus and de Kelders, and we had lunch at Coffee on the Rocks in de Kelders, then returned to Rouxwil before dinner. This filled up 1 day. We would have preferred to stay on the coast, and to have had even more time to see some of the coastal areas near de Kelders and near Hermanus. (Hermanus is a bit touristy in our opinion, but it is located near some interesting coastal areas.) We did see whales from the shore at de Kelders!!!

Many of the guests at Rouxwil are repeat visitors who either live in South Africa, or come over from the UK, and they already know the Overberg region. Maybe all they need is a room key and a fine meal. But for first-time international visitors to the Overberg region, more help and advice from the owners is needed upon arrival.

I have some nice photos of our room and of some of the tasty meals which I will share soon. I hope this review, together with the other reviews, helps you make the decision which is best for you.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Melissa5
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Rouxwil Country House, privately owned and managed by a warm welcoming couple, O'nel and Thys Roux, is set in scenic surrounds beyond the Cape Winelands in the Overberg region. Perfect for those headed to the Garden Route or to Hermanus and the nearby coastal resorts. Comfortable accommodation with every amenity you could wish for, delicious breakfasts and dinners including legendary barbeques, nothing is too much trouble for your hosts. Explore the surrounding countryside, including the quaint village of Greyton, enjoy mountain vistas, and visit nearby Gabrielskloof Wine Estate with its excellent restaurant, for lunch. Every visit here is a joy.

Room Tip: A new suite which will include a kitchen for those who wish to self cater on any particular day is u...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We heard about Rouxwil from a nice South African couple from Durban that we met the previous year and stayed with Thys and Onel for 4 nights on our recent trip to South Africa and it was a wonderful experience,from the moment we arrived we were made very welcome,the rooms are magnificent and the food is glorious,all the guests eat together which makes for a very convivial atmosphere,Rouxwil is a working farm run very efficiently by Thys who is a very knowledgible and forthcoming host and will happily chat about matters farming to your hearts content,we look forward to returning next year.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank waterford1
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I think all the previous reviews speak for themselves. This was our third visit to Rouxwill, and it is just the most relaxing and lovely place to stay. The view out of the Hillside rooms is just to die for! Each of the suites are tastefully funished in traditional style and include sumptuous private bathrooms with luxury bath and shower. Thys and O'nel are just the most welcoming of hosts and the food was great. Wonderful retreat away from all the hubub!

Room Tip: All the Hillside suites are lovely!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank YorksMagicflyer
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Thys and O'Nel have created a wonderfully peaceful place to stay with easy access to the coast or to the winelands. We stayed for three nights and our room was comfortable and well-appointed. The food served was of a very high quality and the wild game in a paddock and varied birdlife a bonus. Thys' informative farm tour was a memorable highlight allowing us to pick apples and pears for ourselves. Also special was the birthday cake served up for our son, who really enjoyed feeding the elands every afternoon. This was our most expensive stay during our two weeks around the Western Cape, but well worth it. The warm hospitality of O'Nel & Thys made a great farm stay even more memorable.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bruce M
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Last year we stopped off at Rouxwil on our way back to the airport. When we decided to come back to the Cape we knew we had to spend longer with Thys and O'nel as they had made our brief stay such a pleasure. We weren't disappointed. The breakfasts and dinners were special. Local produce and an excellent variety. Especially good was Thys's braai.We met some really nice fellow guests and thoroughly enjoyed our time with them. We loved the raft trip on the river and once more the dogs were great company. We visited some different places in the area and particularly enjoyed our visit to Greyton on market day. Thank you O'nel for helping us with our airline difficulties!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carol C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caledon
Baleens
#1 of 5 in Caledon
No photo provided
Die Pastorie
#2 of 5 in Caledon

Been to Rouxwil Country House? Share your experiences!