“Sundrum = Great Fun”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coylton
Parkdean - Sundrum Castle Holiday Park
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Our family had a great time at Sundrum Castle caravan park. We are a family of four (2 boys aged 5 &1) and we went to celebrate our youngest son's 1st birthday for 1 week.
We stayed in the Darley caravan which was new for 2011. It was clean and had plenty of storage, 2 bedrooms, everything you could ask for really.
We ate at Tam o Shanters twice and it was ok. I would describe it as usual pub grub - nothing exciting. We did however go into Ayr and ate at the Kylestrome restaurant which was excellent 5/5 - recommend it.
Heads of Ayr park was excellent for a day out - we spent the whole day and the kids loved it.
Alloway is a lovely place to visit. We had a lovely meal at the Brig o Doon Hotel - very picturesque.

Anyway back to Sundrum, evening entertainment was great. Some really good acts following the usual bingo and stuff that you normally get at caravan parks. Entertainers worked really hard and were enthusiastic dancers - singing not that great but still entertaining.
Bar service wasn't great, although the bar tenders worked very hard there was just not enough of them. Also tables weren't cleared regularly - perhaps more staff during peak times would prevent these little niggles.
Excellent holiday overall though, lots of really friendly fellow holidaymakers.
Would defo go back !

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank TheGe0rges

Reviewed July 9, 2011

been to sundrum castle about 6 times now. as said before it isnt as big as haven but is a great site. it doesnt have the flashy funfair etc but this is ideal for us (and saves you money). has everything you will need for your stay, although there is no cash machine but there is one in the local village a few mins away. the grounds are well kept, the staff are friendly and helpful. there is the two bars, with mcintyres only used during the main season, with tam oshanters being used for entertainment off peak. i would happily reccommend it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank doreenyoung
Reviewed June 24, 2011

The park was clean and tidy, and appeared to be well set up for kids and families. The caravan initially appeared to be very clean, if somewhat tired (ripped wallpaper/mismatched curtains and seating/discoloured grouting in the shower). However, this was a caravan they allowed people to take dogs to and after our first night both I and my partner were covered in flea bites, which was unpleasant to say the least.

Whilst Parkdean could not be expected to know that one of their previous guests was skanky enough to take a flea infested dog to stay in their caravans I would recommend you ask for one of the vans that does not accept dogs, particularly if you have kids with you. I will be writing to Parkdean to suggest they fumigate their caravans that do accept dogs every six weeks or so.

We got this holiday as a freebie when we bought our sofa, which was lucky as I would have been disapointed to have paid the £280 it should have cost..

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2011

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at Sundrum and I just wanted to mention a few small things that may help others.

The site is aproximately 4 miles from Ayr and as a previous reviewer mentioned, if you don't drive, then travelling to and forth can be costly. There is a local bus service from the main road ( 10/ 15 min walk?) but there is a bus service (which is often a taxi but is ran as a bus servic) from the site itself. This runs from the site at 10am and 12 noon each day (£2.40 per person) and the return service is 2.15pm and 4.15pm. The benefits of this is no long walk carrying messages, luggage etc. I wish someone had mentioned this before we travelled as it would have been good to know.

The main web site mentions a takeaway on the camp, which there is but when we were there it was only open on Friday & Saturday night. The rest of the week, takeaways were offered from the main bar between 5.30pm & 8.30pm - we never used the service but I imagine it would not be ideal waiting for food whilst the bar/ entertainment venue was busy.

The site itself is well laid out and compact and the facilities are adequate. One other small thing I would mention which I think is misleading on the main web site is that the Tam O'Shanter lounge and Kintyre entertainment venue are not separate areas - there is no distinction at all between the two areas so if you are hoping for a quiet drink , sadly that isn't possible ( except in your caravan!)

Overall, a nice site but we visited Tummel Valley site last year which I think was much better.

Room Tip: Use the bus / taxi service available from the site
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank traveller281
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I thought this park was a little dated around the entertainment area, however it still had all the facilities for the kids to enjoy.

The caravan was spotlessly clean, the only annoying thing was the boiler clicking on and off every few minutes during the night. In the end I had to turn it off which meant a cold caravan in the morning.

The staff were helpful and lovely and the kids entertainers were great for my 2 and 4 year old.

The pool was of an adequate size with flume and small pool for smaller children, but I felt the water was very cold the day we used it which did put off my 2 year old.

If you have kids, the heads of ayr farm park is great, just on the way out of Ayr. Loch Lomond is around a 1.5 hours drive away but very beautiful when you get there.

All in all, the park was what we expected and is a little quiet compared to the Haven one but this did mean it was peaceful. Just a shame the week we went, the weather was so bad.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank honeybunny2812
Reviewed June 5, 2011

This was our second visit to this park in three years, and again we were not let down. Lets be clear straightaway that this is a small park and not your all singing and dancing haven holiday park. If you are looking for something more quieter and to use as a base for days out (of which there are lots - Kelburn Castle, Heads of Ayr Farm Park, Ayr seafront, Arran etc.) then this fits the bill. If not then visit Craig Tara (haven), but do check the reviews first before you book. They are not great! We stayed 4 nights for just under £200 in a fully modern, 3 bedroom, central heated, double glazed caravan (booked a week prior to get a better deal). Great accommodation and could not fault it. The amenities on site are small and as I said not all singing and dancing, but you have to remember its a small park, which is situated a few miles from Ayr itself. Onsite there is a small arcade area, bar and restaurant, small outdoor area and reasonably sized indoor pool and slide, which is adequate if you want to do a few things on site. The site is well maintained, clean, tidy and staff are helpful and friendly. We will be going back again at some point in the future.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Neil W
Reviewed May 27, 2011

My partner and 3 children went for a long weekend on the 13th may.first impressions on arrival was good.directions to caravan was not so good.there wasn't much space between caravans and if you had a car it was even less room.all the caravans at my wee site was full of cars so it looked very small.the pool was lovely my kids had a ball at it but it was very cold.first night we arrived we went to the kids club which was good but service at the bar was very slow but very friendly.at a certain time of night they put bingo on just after the kids entertainment so if you were still there with your kids god help you If they made a noise.we had to leave when it started cause my kids would not
Be quiet so I wasn't very happy about that.we had the chippy one night as well and I must say I binned my dinner it was disgusting.the on site shop is well stocked but a tad expensive but the staff are very friendly.we had breakfast one morning in the restaurant which was tasty enough but you had to pay for your tea and toast separate which does add up to be quite expensive.but kids couldn't go into playarea cause of dreadful weather.caravan was nice.only thing was tv remote didn't work and the signal was awful.very isolated if you didn't drive.but I would imagine it would have been a lot better if the british weather had been better.overall I would visit again.

• Stayed: May 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coylton
Western House Hotel
Mercure Ayr Hotel
Mercure Ayr Hotel
#14 of 17 in Ayr
Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven

Been to Parkdean - Sundrum Castle Holiday Park? Share your experiences!