“Getting better all the time”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Osmotherley
Cote Ghyll Caravan & Camping Park
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I've stayed at the hostel a few times and on my last visit I noticed a lot of changes. The Hostel has new owners (but it is still a YHA) and they are making lots of improvements. Some of the equipment in the hostel was becoming quite worn and old but all of the old stuff has been replaced. There are new ovens in the self catering kitchen. A new TV set and pool table and the whole place has been redecorated! There is a free wifi service, you just have to ask for the password.

The main improvement though is outside. The building used to be painted white and it looked a bit shabby but the white paint has all been removed and the building now looks absolutely beautiful. I think the building was a textile mill and is probably a couple of hundred years old!

The staff all good and friendly, the food perfect after a long day walking and the Black sheep beer very refreshing!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank adrian S

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed here for afew nights as a family earlier on in the year, pitches are small, toilets something out of the 70's and the shower is a mear drizzle with no temperature control. Yes the parks & stream are nice for the children but it is all let down by the miserable, rude and unapproachable staff. In the right hands it could be a lovely welcoming place maybe they need to change owners,won't be returning!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LJC32
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I've taken the family camping to quite a few different places now, some good, some bad, but I don't think we'll ever find another as good as this.

The booking was easy as was the arrival process, all of the staff were busy but very friendy and helpful.

The site has a mixture of hardstands for caravans and Grass or Astroturf for tents, I also saw some caravans on grass. The astroturf wasn't needed during our stay but I imagine it would be great if the weather was to be wet.

All of the pitches have electric hook up although not everybody was plugged in.

My children loved the 2 play areas linked by a footbridge accross the stream and if they weren't enjoying the play equipment then they were busy 'fishing' with the nets they bought from the well stocked campsite shop.

Toilets and showers very modern, very clean and well maintained, I saw staff checking for cleanliness repeatedly during the day, I even saw someone mopping the floors clean at midnight while everyone was sleeping!

The village of Osmotherley has three pubs all of which serve food and welcome kids and pets. There is also a fish and chip shop and a couple of cafes. There was also a takeaway food service operating from Cote ghyll Mill next door to the caravan Park.

The scenery around the site is beautiful.

This is not the cheapest site that I've visited but you get what you pay for don't you?

Overall I'd say this site was really good value given the excellent service offered. I certainly won't hesitate to return to this beautiful site again, in fact I'm not sure if anywhere else will be good enough now that I've experienced Cote Ghyll Caravan Park!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Adrian B
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have stayed at this site 3 times now in the last three years, once for 10 days. I know for a fact that the owners have not changed in that time, so what is going on with these other reviews? Every time we book we are always met with nice pleasant people who bend over backwards to help us. If you want a weekend of luxury with security and peace of mind then this is the place to go. Yes you do pay more here than at other sites, however you have the peace of mind that the people who work here are very observant and recognize 'campers' from strangers. We come here because we know that our tent is safe and secure and that we can enjoy days out knowing our belongings are safe. (There is a security barrier to stop anyone driving off with your tent/caravan). We enjoy the cheerfulness of Mr Hill, the owner who is always willing to chat and advise on places to visit even though he is rushed off his feet! We enjoy the heated shower floors and the lovely warm bathrooms, that have flowers and granite tiling. Every thing is CLEAN. We enjoy drifting off to sleep to the sound of the running stream! Our relatives (2 adults and 2 kids) visited us for 2 hours on their way to Teesside. We told reception but they said no charge. Our 10 year old nephew has Downs Syndrome and Mr Hill bent over backwards to talk to him about why he was trampling down the rubbish in the large bins. We have stayed in some real dumps and this site is certainly the Ferrari in camping. I can only speak from experience and would recommend this site every time. We're going back again this weekend and I'll keep you posted.

Room Tip: If you want to be away from noisy families and like peace and quiet to read a book ask for the '...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shirley S
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Other reviewers have had problem with staff but we didn't. Lovely over the phone and in person. We booked for 2 nights no problem. We had pitch 49 which was right near the playpark. Great for kids but was noisy. Noisy a bit late on at night as well as pitch was near a bridge which separated campers from toilet block. Facilities nice and clean but showers a bit feeble. Would return but request a different pitch.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 18, 2013

'Ryanairesque' pricing structure, poor and expensive wifi connections, no hand basin cubicles in the toilets, crammed in pitches, ridiculous charges for visitors and it calls itself 5 star? This is the most overpriced campsite we have ever stayed on, it's a shame they have 'hogged' such a beautiful place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Cath123London
Reviewed August 10, 2013

A good location and good play areas, however, a little expensive and there is a major attitude problem with the staff. They were very abrupt upon arrival, rude and insulting to a paying guest in our company, rude and down right nasty to our elderly, disabled grandad when he came to visit us, despite him agreeing to pay the vistitors fee, he was refused entry due to not being "that kind of site". Would have returned if not for the staff, who all need to take a course in customer services!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Helen0502

Been to Cote Ghyll Caravan & Camping Park? Share your experiences!