“surreal place”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Ko Yao Noi
new york
“surreal place”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

First of all this is a review of the panorama villa , which is quite different than the straw hut that the rest of the resort offers. Not really luxury for the price paid, about $200/night low season, but HUGE and for the view it comes with is worth every penny. The two bedroom villa has a kitchenette, but bot much stuff to cook with, even the coffee maker did not come with coffee, and there were no other glasses or mugs other than the 4 red-wine glasses. There was a TV but not television :), no ice cube trays in the fridge (expected it so I brought my own), no paper towels, the list goes on and on, but I was able to forget all that because of the staggering setting around this place, you have to be there to believe it: leaning forward palm trees on the edge of the beach, calm clear and warm water, soft sand and the most spectacular view of the rocks and mini islands in the bay in front of the hotel, I couldn't get my eyes of it, all this coupled with sun shining and birds singing,making it a blissful total relaxation.

It's also nice that between low and high tide, the sea does not turn into a mud field, like that in other parts of the island or other hotels. If you are just a beach goer, not caring for parties and such, this is the place for you, very quiet and laid back, without pretensions. The only place to eat serves delicious food but only if you stick with thai, the western food we tried one night was kinda strange , the breakfast they have included in the morning is also plentiful, with excellent fruit (when they did not run out of it ). Prices for dinner were also very decent, for thai food, about $10 per entry , but western food will cost you twice as much if you prefer that. If you want even cheaper, outside of the hotel couple of hundred yards to the right there is a local restaurant that has good food and offers excursions too, at prices less than half that the hotel has, although for the second one I scheduled there they didn't send a boat to pick us up, ruing everything for the day, so beware, it's due to the locals who like most of the hotel staff barely speak English, only the girls at the front desk speak it but not fluently.

Anyway, a fantastic and unforgetable stay overall, I was there for over a week starting in the middle of April and it rained a little only the first 2 days and sunshine all other time, absolutely beautiful weather , although a bit humid. If you want to be pampered with luxury and fancy meals and such, go to the next door Six sense, they will gladly take all your money for that, but if you're just looking for peaceful endless beach that looks like your own private, no crowds and blasting music ,and the most gorgeous scenery you can imagine, then Koyao is the place to be.

Room Tip: get the panorama villa if you want AC,large fridge and much less bugs and lizards in your room :)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank baihui
KoyaoIsland R, Guest Relations Manager at Koyao Island Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear baihui,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this honest and constructive review. Your comments are invaluable to us and assist us in constantly improving.

We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do however wish that you had informed us of the additional services you required in your Panorama Villa as we would have gladly assisted you where ever possible.

We have implemented English lessons focusing on the different departments and teaching our staff words and sayings that are relevant in their day to day working environment. You might have noticed that all our staff are employed from the island. Their exposure to English and all the different accents are therefore rather limited.

We hope to one day welcome you back.

Best regards,
The Koyao Island Resort Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I were fortunate enough to stay here at the end of May with our two grown up sons. We had originally booked a private villa for our stay on the island but, after arriving to find the pool out of action, we moved to Koyao Island Resort and were certainly very happy we did

We stayed in an air conditioned Panoramic Villa for three nights which perfectly suited my family. It was spacious, simply furnished and there were two large en-suite rooms each with an outside covered terrace that were separated from each other by the lounge/kitchen. Whilst we were there the resort was incredibly quiet and we found that the shared pool with three other villas was only used by us, which was an added bonus.

There is some considerable work being done around the resort at the moment (we were not disturbed at all by this) and this will mean that some of the other villas will have been updated completely. We did look at those and said that if we visit again we may try one as they have a bit more character than the villa we were in. That said, Regina, the General Manager says she has plans to give the Panoramic Villas a little more personality too.

The position of the resort right on the beach sets it apart from other resorts on the island, most of which are separated from the beach by the main road (not that it gets busy). To wake up each morning to an unspoilt and unhindered view across the water to the small islands was a rare treat.

We made use of the free kayaks at the hotel a couple of times but did not use the free bicycles as we had already rented mopeds and felt it was too hot to cycle anyway. The hotel also offers moped rental for those over 18 years.

In terms of location, as I mentioned before, the position of the hotel in relation to the sea was second to none. The hotel offers a happy hour each evening with half price drinks and cocktails. The restaurant seemed popular, although we did not eat there in the evenings.

To venture further afield you do need a moped or to use a bike. There are other restaurants in walking distance but about 1.5 miles away there are quite a few more options to try. I would not usually entertain the idea of hiring mopeds but as this is really the only way to get around and as there are very few cars on the island it did feel safer than in other places. Mopeds are driven by all the locals and the speed is quite low. Why rush? The views along the road are amazing.

I would like to thank all the staff at the resort for a great stay.

Would I recommend? Definitely
Would I go again? I really hope so!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear CovKid186403,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this wonderful review.

We most certainly do look forward to welcoming you and your family back to enjoy our newly renovated Beach Villas.

Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

A really beautiful position. The food was delicious. We enjoyed manager's cocktails on the beach. Unfortunately the one night we stayed here during dinner a huge storm erupted and the structures of these rooms are not well designed against such heavy weather. When the storm abated a bit we made it back to our room from the restaurant where all the guests had been sheltering to discover that everything was soaked, our clothes were drenched, the floors were underwater and the beds very cold and wet. We weren't offered any alternative but to sleep on wet bedding. We understand that this was extreme weather however and there will have been many people on the island that night whose homes were damaged. We would have appreciated however a little concern from the management team the following morning. Yao Noi is a beautiful place, this resort is superbly positioned, the food was great and many of the staff were lovely so in calm weather I can well imagine this being a great place to unwind.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Philip M
Dear Philip M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the review.

We are very happy to read that you enjoyed the food and the manager's cocktail and of course our staff. We are very disappointed to read that you were not appropriately assisted the night of the storm and wish that you had brought it to our attention. We would have gladly assisted you.

We do hope we might one day be able to welcome you back.

Kind regards,
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 28, 2013

After some issues with our room on the first day, it was prompted solved in a really professional manner by the front desk staff. They were incredible and very accommodating. This resort is quite literally paradise with pristine grounds and a beautiful pool. Our villa that they upgraded us to was on a privat beach with its own pool. They were renovating several villas (which is where our problem arose on day 1) but they did an excellent job informing us as well as making sure it was not a bother to any guests.

They have tea time between 4-5 for free as well as a great happy hour afterwards. We only stayed 2 nights qbut we wish we had stayed for a week.

Also, there are very few food options on the island itself but the food at the resort is incredible so it was no problem.

Get a Thai massage at the spa. You will not regret it.

Room Tip: Just a tip, if you get one of the open air villas, make sure you are towards the front- it seemed a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MLE91
KoyaoIsland R, General Manager at Koyao Island Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this very mice review.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed you stay and I will pass on your very kind comments to the team.

I am particularly please to hear that you enjoyed our Panorama Villas and that you were not disturbed by our current renovation work. We are doing our utmost to adjust the timings in a ways that will least disturb our guests.

Thank you also for your kind comments about the food in the restaurant, which I will pass on to the kitchen.

Once again thank you very much and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the not so distant future, perhaps for a week the next time.

Best regards
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

After 2 years spent in Thailand, with the opportunity to discover a lot of nice places both in Thailand and in neighbor countries, we have lived one of our best experience.
In front of sea, with an excellent restaurant and amazing rooms to rest, it was great.
Not a lot of rooms, so quietness and peace are there.
Very nice place for a family with kids.
Not too far from the coast, the 1h15 spent in the longtail boat are not difficult to support, the landscape is so beautiful !
A place to recommend...we will come back for sure

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
KoyaoIsland R, General Manager at Koyao Island Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this nice review.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay even now during the quieter season and we would like to thank you for your recommendation

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the not so distant future

Best Regards

Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed for 6 nights in May 2013. We had the room 17 which is upstairs and has no sea view. Room was nice and spacious, open concept is really nice. However, first night I was bitten by mosquito severely, but with all honesty it was my own mistake as I did not protect myself well. So, after I took a good care about the net, next nights I had no more bites.
Sea and beach is not the best, but views are breath taken.
Breakfast is good and generally food is nice, but I think there are at least 2 different chefs in the kitchen and one of them is much better than another. There were some theme nights, like sea food bbq or movie night, which were nice.
I loved happy hour in the bar and was always downstairs with my book to enjoy Mojito or two every evening. We also took massages and it was really very good, highly recommended.
Overall, nice place if you search for a tranquil vacation, not much to do there, but good night sleep with nature beautiful sounds are guaranteed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this review.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere here in the resort and I will share your kind comments with the team.

I note your comment about the kitchen and the different chefs. Please rest assured that we are taking your comments seriously and we will continue to work hard on maintaining the consistency of quality regardless of what time of the day.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the not so distant future

Best Regards
Bristol
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Koh Yao Noi is very unspoilt, a really nice place, the town however was a lot larger than we expected as the rest of the island is so rural and stunning.

We stayed in room 16, situated above the spa, yes there was some noise from below (reception, bar, restaurant) but it was hardly intrusive as it’s not a loud resort. I had quite a bad cough during my stay and did actually worry at times my coughing at night would wake up the other guests!!

Our room was large and well furnished with a lovely lovely view, but there were some areas that needed attention. The table cloth on which the mini bar spirits were placed was dusty and most of the roll up bamboo blinds were starting to split and some wouldn’t roll up. There were also some small holes in the thatched roof so there were some drips when it rained, our roll up Thai day beds smelt a bit musty too.

In the corner of the room (next to the bed) towards the reception area the blind didn’t go all the way up to the wall, in fact people could see right in, I had to hang up my sarong as a curtain for privacy.

We had no hot water during our stay, slightly tepid was the best we got, initially I assumed that the resort was totally without hot water but then discovered talking to another guest that wasn’t the case, by this time I didn’t bother asking for it to be looked at.

The door to the WC in the bathroom had a faulty lock so if you shut the door from the outside you were locked out, it was looked at a few times but the issue kept returning - in the end we just left it ajar.

We weren’t bothered by mosquitoes, but were awoken each night by fruit bats who seemed to live in the roof and did leave us presents of their partly digested late night snacks each morning (got my books a few times!!)

The free drinking water was a lovely touch and really appreciated (we drink a lot of water and we never ran out) the ground staff were very hard working and kept smiling and the gardens and beach area were kept immaculate, the pool was nicely maintained too. Breakfast was of a good buffet standard, very nice garlic potatoes which I enjoyed seconds of every day, wasn’t brave enough to try the lilac jam though!!

We didn’t eat in the hotel preferring to experience the local restaurants so can’t comment on the quality. Our favourite place for lunch was a stall a few miles south selling bbq honey chicken (there are a few beachside stalls here with plastic tables and chairs set up).

This resort is not for those who dislike bugs, critters and reptiles, it's a laid back place, no shoes are needed and you can just relax. Paying reduced low season prices we were happy, if we had been paying peak season rates I would have been disapointed by the housekeeping / maintenance issues we experianced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
KoyaoIsland R, General Manager at Koyao Island Resort, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share this review.

Firstly I would like to sincerely appologise for the maintenance issues you experienced during your stay in our Sea Breeze Studio 16 and also the lack of hot water at the time. This has in the meantime been rectified. In addition we have also replaced and purchased new items for the rooms and are in general going thru an upgrading process for the hotel. Please rest assured that we are taking your comments seriously and that we are constantly working on improvements Being exposed to the elements as the resort is, it can sometimes be a challenge and I am sorry it affected your stay on this occasion.

I am happy to hear that over all you enjoyed your experience and would like to thank you for your recommendations, not also about the resort but also about the island in general. It is very important to us to promote not only the resort and it's stunning location but also to highlight Koh Yao Noi as a destination with the many un spoilt gems it still has to offer.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope we are able to welcome you back one day.

Best regards

Paradise KohYao
Paradise KohYao
#4 of 7 in Ko Yao Noi
Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa

Been to Koyao Island Resort? Share your experiences!