“A lovely, peaceful spot”

Koyao Island Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Ko Yao Noi
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I really enjoyed my 4-day stay at Ko Yao Island Resort! The island is pleasantly quiet and the views are amazing.

The island is still off the beaten path in many ways, which I really appreciated. The Resort offers free bicycles and kayaks to go exploring and when we took the bicycles out for a spin, it was very clear that tourism is relatively new here, which I think is a pretty cool thing when it's just a few minutes in either direction to Phuket or Krabi.

The resort is relatively populated (or at least was when we were there), but it was amazing that it usually didn't feel like it. Even though there were quite a few families and couples staying at the resort, we oftentimes found ourselves sitting alone by the beach in the morning or afternoon. I was a bit surprised by how many families with children were staying, but I didn't find it to be disruptive in the least. I think there is enough to do around the resort and on the island that people don't step on each other's toes too much.

I also found the staff to be pleasant and accommodating, especially the management. They were very friendly and tried to make sure they met every person who came to check in. One of the managers also gave us some great advice on taking an excursion, which we really ended up enjoying! It seemed to me that the resort employs a lot of people from the area, which I think is wonderful.

It may take a little while for some things to happen (for example, meals may be a bit slower than many Westerners are accustomed to), but I personally don't mind that when I am on a relaxing beach vacation. I don't think the leisurely pace should stop anyone from visiting.

I noticed in reading some other reviews that people complained about the quality of the rooms. It seems to me that they must have done improvements since that time because our villa was quite nice. Everything was clean and functional. We had an oceanview villa that very much delivered on that promise- we all woke up every morning with a gorgeous view of the beach! The villas are quite open and airy, which was something we wanted. If you expect to be fully enclosed in a western-style hotel room, this place is not for you!

Overall, I'd recommend this place, especially if you are looking for something less populated than the typical beach destinations.

Also, it's worth checking out La Luna Pizzeria (I might have that name a bit wrong) if you are looking to get away from the resort!

Room Tip: My group stayed in one of the villas with oceanview, which I found to be quite nice. It was number 1...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank MG888
KoyaoIsland R, General Manager at Koyao Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share this very nice review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the resort and the facilities and we will pass on your kind comments to the team.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future

Reviewed March 3, 2013

After spending two weeks in Phuket it was great to escape to this wonderful island. The resort itself is set in an idyllic postcard location with remoteness that you won't find in Patong. We went on a fishing excursion and had a great time despite weather being poor. Our guides on the boat were full of wit and charm and really went above and beyond to make it the excursion seem personable and unique. HOWEVER, I really didn't like the food at the resort. On the first night I ordered the cheeseburger (safe option) and it really wasn't great. Second night was even more disappointing as the kitchen seemed to have forgotten about our fish that we had caught that they were supposed to barbecue. Would definitely go again but perhaps would venture out of the resort to eat or drink .

Room Tip: All rooms were good but you will definitely get bitten by mosquitos. Bring lots of orange oil to smo...
1  Thank K C
KoyaoIsland R, General Manager at Koyao Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about the resort. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the resort, the island and the fishing excursion. We will pass on your kind comments to the guide.

I would like to take this opportunity to personally appologise for the mistake made by our kitchen team with regards to your fish and I understand that you were dissapointed. I fully agree with you that the charm of a fishing trip is to enjoy your own catch of the day in the evening. This was brought to my attention by the staff unfortunately too late and my only explanation for this unfortunate mistake is that we at the same time had a seafood bbq going on, hence the fish got mixed up. It should not have happened and I am tuly sorry.

I am also sorry to hear that the quality of the burger did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Please rest assured that we are taking your comments seriously and will take steps to improve on all levels.

With hope that you still enjoyed you stay with us, we hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We spend 3 nights in this wonderful resort. Indeed the location is amazing and the rooms are fantastic. This is something you won´t find in a lot of hotels.
We really enjoyed the view and the quietness.
Unfortunately there were a lot of children in the resort, which made the pool almost unusable. But this was ok in the end. The beach was great and everybody had enough place so that you did not even see the next people laying there. We also had a great private island dinner - one of our highlights during our trip through Thailand. So if you are there as a couple, don´t miss out this nice event.
Really disappointing was the service of the employees. I couldn´t even believe how unfriendly the staff was. Especially at the bar - we were never served and the lady at the bar just went to see same friends in the restaurant to talk to them and we had to get her to order some drinks. And this wasn´t just once! Also the personnel in the restaurant was just bad! I know that they don´t speak very good English, but I think I can expect that they know what stands in the menu. One guy did not even understand Pineapple juice. Food was rather European and not Thai although we ordered Thai food.
Great resort, but very poor service!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
KoyaoIsland R, General Manager at Koyao Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the rooms and the location of the resort as well as the amazing views. I am sorry to hear that the children disturbed you but delighted that you found that the resort has enough grounds to ensure every guests can find a private spot of their own. I also would like to thank you for your kind recommendation to do a Private Island Dinner which certainly is one of the more popular excursions we offer.

We are very disappointed to hear that the service did not meet your expectations on this occasion, for which I would like to personally sincerely appologise. Your experience in the bar should not have happened and has been brought to the attention of the team. In supporting the local community, all our staff is recruited from the island. We are placing great emphasis on training which also includes English lessons which we are confident will support both the local families and the service to guests of the resort. Please rest assured that we are taking your comments seriously and that we will make every effort to improve on all levels.

Please again accept our sincere apologies and we hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future and note a positive change in service.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed for a week and enjoyed the location and size of the resort.
The villas are totally open which was good except for the mosquitos in the evening. The bed has nets but if you get up in the night, mosquitos tend to get in, so go prepared!! The staff provide coils and sprays, so they do all they can, but I did get a lot of bites!! We did have a few problems with the room, first thing, but the staff sorted them out.
The restaurant was good, we ate in 3 nights and went to local restaurants for the others.
We hired a moped for 2 days, from the hotel, and went round the island. Really enjoyed seeing everywhere. The resort provides bikes free of charge and also provides kayaks free of charge. Enjoyed both.
Well worth paying for the transfers, very efficient.
Make sure you walk through the mangrove area, in the Six Senses grounds.
All in all a very pleasant stay We thought it was the best resort on the island.

Room Tip: Some villas have more privacy than others, all being open. We had villa 13 and we were happy with it...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our recently refurbished Villa 13.

I would also like to thank you for aknowledging that everything possible is done in the resort to keep mosquitos to a minimum. With an open air concept it is unfortunately unavoidable although regular fumigation is done.

Thank you again again and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This resort delivers on all levels. That combined with the remoteness and the outer charm of the island and its people have given us lasting memories that could not have been found in a more tourist-filled destination. We truly loved it!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LaraB84
KoyaoIsland R, General Manager at Koyao Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time and post this review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed you stay with us as well as enjoyed the Island.

We are very fortunate to be situated on lovely Koh Yao Noi, which is still very much authentic and unspoilt with a very laid back atmosphere.

We hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future

Genral Manager

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed here in aug 2012 and absolutely loved it.
This hotel is wonderful, has great attentive staff and everyone was really nice and helpful.The food is great, and its easy to get around from the location.
Me and my partner really enjoyed or stay and just booked to come back in aug 2013.
Thanks for last time
Disa and Sam

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank disaaa

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your kind review of your stay with us last year. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I will forward your kind comments to the team.

In the meantime we have done some improvements and hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I would highly recommend Koyao Island resort for those who want to experience relaxation in wonderful surroundings. It is an open air style place and sleeping with the sound of the sea is divine. The team are also working hard upgrading furniture/rooms etc. The staff were very attentive and willing to help with anything needed.
It is definitely a "no shoes" sort of place which makes it so special. The beach is the best one on the island. The GM is working hard with her staff and we enjoyed our stay (1 week). The spa is really good with very good treatments and good value. Yes, the hotel has some rough edges but they are minimal compared to all the delightful aspects of this resort. Our room had new mosquito nets and the linen was changed daily.

We would like to thank Nok & her spa team and also Ms Salzmann, the GM, for all their hard work to make everyone who stays at Koyao Island feel special. We met at least 5 sets of guests for whom it was their 4th, 5th even 9th trip back to this resort.
We will definitely go back.
Our thanks to all the staff at Koyao Island.
Fiona & Rudy

1  Thank fhrpw

Dear Fiona & Rudy

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this lovely review. It was a pleasure having you here as guests and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed you stay. I will pass on your kind comments to the staff.

We also appreciate your comments about the ongoing teams effort of upgrading and improving. There is certainly always something to do to keep us all busy.

Thank you again and we hope to be welcoming you back very soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ko Yao Noi
#1 of 8 in Ko Yao Noi
Paradise KohYao
Paradise KohYao
#5 of 8 in Ko Yao Noi

Been to Koyao Island Resort? Share your experiences!