“A hidden gem”

Ranked #6 of 32 Restaurants in Ko Yao Noi
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood, Thai
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located on the south-eastern tip of the island, Koyao Bay Pavilions' restaurant is open to only a happy few guests from outside the resort, so make sure you book a table in advance. Serving authentic Thai cuisine and the freshest seafood, all prepared by talented cooks. Decent selection of cocktails and wines. Excellent desserts and ice creams.
Phuket, Thailand
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Although a bit difficult to find, once there, the food more than makes up for the search! Olivier is a great host. The open kitchen set-up is fantastic. Great to see (and hear) the chefs hard at work preparing fresh ingredients. The sights and the smells from the kitchen gave way to excellently presented food. A restaurant that's well worth the trip if you're staying anywhere on the island. A relaxed place to go for lunch.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank David M

London, United Kingdom
“Overpriced”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

So I must have missed the point. Because even now, six days later, I still don't know why I paid 300% more for food that I could have eaten elsewhere. Was it the ambiance of the restaurant? Nope, because, whilst it was nicely appointed, and there was a pond on one side, the other faced a gravel entrance to the rest of the resort - every place on any of the beaches in Koh Yao had a better view. Was it the quality of the service? Nope, because it was no better than the smiles you get elsewhere. What is the quality of the food? Nope, I had a better salad in the village in Koh Yao (whilst looking at the 7 Eleven turn left and head to the last shop on the right hand side) - it cost 400% less, was just as tasty and actually had a better choice of ingredients e.g. it included several types of what I assume are sea fungi. I never like giving average reviews, because it can affect a restaurant's standing and admire those who open businesses and want to support them if I can. But I just think this is is the case of the emperors' new clothes. It reminds me of a joke doings the rounds in Moscow after the fall of communism - a chap shows off his new Rolex watch to his friends and says, "cost me $10,000"' his friend laughs at him, "you idiot, I know where you could have got it for $15,000".

Visited January 2014
1 Thank krys_k
Crusoe78, General Manager at La Sala, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear Krys_k,

I'm sorry to read that you may have missed the point during your visit, indeed... And I can only apologise for not having been here myself in order to showcase the obvious: the raw beauty of the valley, the freshness of our ingredients and authenticity of our recipes...

Being located in one of the most beautiful valleys of the island, we chose to set our restaurant on that side of our resort, rather than adding an umpteenth venue on the beachfront (thus preserving the coastline). Certainly a daytime visit comes highly recommended, to enjoy the 100 species of orchids, palm trees, and other tropical plants (which totally overflows onto our gravel entrance if you mind opening your eyes...).

As for the food itself (on which sadly you don't have much to say in your comment), I won't spend time to put emphasis on the recognised talent of our cooks, others have done this way better that me (see reviews below). Moreover, I would advise you stay clear of unknown food types such as "sea fungi", as it is not part of culinary tradition in Thailand and could potentially be harmful to your health !

It should be known that there are two ways of running a business in Thailand: some pay taxes and others don't... A family-run shop don't have any rent to pay (their own house), don't have any staff to pay (their own family), and more often than not they don't have any taxes to pay ! Obviously, our situation is a lot different and we therefore can't serve dishes for 80 THB, sorry...

Lastly, we appreciate your reluctance about giving mediocre reviews to restaurants, and your alleged admiration of business entrepreneurs, but we do not believe a word of it when looking at the number of average reviews you have distributed and the malicious pleasure it seems you take in doing so.

All in all, I hope you will get better soon, 6 days ruminating about a simple meal may not do you any good, and we wouldn't be held responsible for any adverse effects.

Yours sincerely,

Olivier Collineau
“Delicious, addictive Thai food”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

A place to discover and fall in love with Thai food, or to deepen your love for it:) Fresh ingredients, individually cooked meals from scratch, under the guidance of owner and manager who actually know what food needs to taste like. Beautiful casual small restaurant, feels like you are visiting good friends for dinner. If you are not staying at Koyao Bay Pavilions, definitely visit the restaurant at least once. If you are staying here, don't bother trying other places on the island...waste of time, you are already at the best one!

Visited December 2013
Vienna, Austria
“The Art of Thai Food”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

First of all, what makes this place so special is, among other factors, that it is small. You don't feel like being in a restaurant, you feel like being at a friend's place. And you will be treated accordingly.

Get rid of your shoes, have a seat and let the manager take care of everything else. They always have a 'catch of the day', if you are lucky this could be e.g. a barracuda, most of the days you can get some of the nicest shrimps from a near-by farm (and not from the 'pharmacy' as unfortunately usual).

Choose your preferred method of cooking and be (positively) surprised what the kitchen staff will deliver.

An extra plus for those who like wine - La Sala offers a selection of good wines at reasonable prices, and they know how to treat and serve them.

• Visited February 2013
Wien
“Thai Food / Seafood Heaven”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We had been staying at the Koyao Bay Pavilions Resort and had been eating 3 meals a day at La Sala - not because we were lazy, but because the best food of the isalnd is just there. You don't need a proof by trying out other place on the island if you know Thai Food. If you love fish and seafood - La Sala is the place. They get fresh catch from local fishermen and the staff does really know what is important in terms of quality and freshness as well as about the preparation. They use home made chili and other sauces and make their own curry pastes - very delicious! La Sala also serves European style food, however we were purely into the Thai stuff - starting with a creamy rice congee in the morning, a delicious and refreshing spicy salad (pomelo/shrimps - yes!!!, glassnoodle, larb, beef... salad heaven) for lunch and then a seafood dinner. We will be definitely returning to Koyao Bay Pavilions and La Sala Restaurant whenever we will be anywhere near Phuket!!

• Visited April 2013