“Cool place. Simple but nice”

K.Y.N. Muay Thai Gym
Ranked #4 of 16 things to do in Ko Yao Noi
More attraction details
Owner description: KYN Muay Thai Gym is located on the beautiful paradise island of Koh Yao Noi, just half an hour by speedboat from Phuket or Krabi in the Andaman region of Southern Thailand. KYN Muay Thai Gym offers professional Muay Thai training with our head trainer, Thailand superstar Hlukhin, a 10 times boxing and Muay Thai champion. Hlukhin and his team of trainers are all very talented and dedicated professionals and provide our students with intense, genuine Thai- style training. Our classes are small and individual attention is guaranteed.
London, United Kingdom
“Cool place. Simple but nice”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I like the easy going atmosphere there. Dishes re very simple but you don't go there for food... go there for the place.

Visited July 2012

Brussels, Belgium
“sporting club”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I liked the view during the sunset and the peaceful atmosphere. Good place to have a beer in a quiet place

Visited June 2012
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awsome locale, friendly staff, serious training = A1 experience”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Training at KYN Muay Thai Gym was one of the best experiences of my life. My wife and I went in February 2012 thinking that we would stay a few weeks, but realising how amazing the place was we ended up staying for two months. The gym is located on the small and friendly island of Koi Yao Noi, a short boat ride from Phuket. It's a place for those who can only take the grime and sleeze of Phuket in small doses.

The training at KYN is fantastic. The head trainer was a World Champion Muay Thai fighter and boxer, and can train people in both with very good english. He's fairly hard on his students once the training begins, but very friendly and approachable when it's finished. He is assisted by two ever-smiling Thai trainers who know just how hard to push you. When we were there the sessions included between 2 and 8 students, so in many classes we had one-on-one instruction from these very experienced trainers! My wife trained with me while we were there and, while she found it challenging, she enjoyed it. She'd never put on gloves before but by the end of the two months I was, I must admit, a little frightened of her.

The trainers are unique in my experience as they don't unnecessarily compliment you; they are not looking for a tip. They make you earn a compliment.

The food is AMAZING! And extremely good value - gorgeous veg Pad Thai for 50bhat. Oh how I miss those meals. Seriously.

The accommodation is clean and very comfortable - far more so than all of the other Muay Thai gyms that we checked out before arriving on the island. Oh and did I mention the view? The sunsets are glorious - each night after training we watched the orange and sometimes pink sun set into the watery horizon with a cold beverage in hand. Magnificent.

There are two tiny drawbacks about the place that should be mentioned, however. First, the beach is all mud and no sand. That didn't bother us in the slightest because the pool is cleaned and regularly maintained, but for some it might be a drawback. Second, the room cleaning was a bit erratic. Staying long term is cheap but it means that your room is cleaned once a week (if you stay short term I understand it is cleaned each day). While we stayed they were training a new cleaning lady and she hadn't quite got up to speed on the mop. But these are minor gripes that are quickly forgotten when I remember the beautiful location, friendly staff (some of whom we forged genuine and we hope lasting friendships), amazing food and, of course, excellent training.

I highly recommend this gym for those looking for serious training in a quiet and beautiful setting. If you're into bargirls, drinking and egos...Phuket.

Visited April 2012
3 Thank JeeevesandWooster
Paris, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great experience - recommended to anyone interested in Muay Thai.”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I trained for about a week at Ko Yao Noi Gym in May, I was training twice a day, at 8 am and 5 pm.
This was a great experience, on all aspects.
The gym has great teachers, who are very patient and really commited to improving the student's skills. They have no problem adapting to the student's level of experience, so begginers don't need to worry. There were actually several first time students there, who were having a great time.
With three teachers available, each student always got a lot of individual attention, which is great if you want to really better your technique. Some of the students were preparing for fights in Phuket, so it was also very interesting to discover that aspect of Muay Thai (fight preparation).
I'll add that the location is great, right in front of the sea, and the gym/hotel have a nice family atmosphere. Going running near the beach in the morning before training, and watching the sun set from the swimming pool after the afternoon training were some of the highlights of each day there!

This is my only experience training MT in Thailand, but I was told that such quality wasn't easy to find in the bigger gyms, which are in more touristy places. I recommend this to anyone interested in Muay Thai, whether you are and experienced fighter or a beginner.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank marco75018
Basel, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Suffer & Enjoy”
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Intro
Having gained quite some weight over the last years I decided to take some drastic measures. I am a lazy guy by nature and I knew that losing weight would be impossible if I stayed at home. So I searched the internet, looking for something secluded (I am also easily distracted), nice and interesting. The Koh Yao Noi Muay Thai Gym promised all that: Located on a small island I would have small friendly Thai people around me kicking my sorry butt into shape. Between the training sessions I could stay at the beach, in a fetal position, whining about aching muscles. Perfect. Within a month I was there.

The island
Even though relatively close to the party destination Phuket, Koh Yao Noi is a very calm and relaxed place. Here, you won't find big crazy parties or crowded bars full with sunburned tourists getting wasted in the middle of the day. Instead you will find laid back and friendly locals and an island which still has not been taken over by tourism. Some might say that it is boring. For me it was perfectly relaxing.

The school
Big boys can train twice a day, for two hours per session. Really big boys can also do the morning run (9.5 km) and the evening run (2.5 km). The training itself consists of shadowboxing, sparring and pad work. The classes are held by two main trainers: Hlukhin and Noom, both seasoned fighters as well as incredibly dedicated yet funny people (you can read more about their background on the schools website). Additional trainers are there if necessary. The school has a boxing ring, several sandbags as well as basic weights. Everybody is free to use the equipment during the day but honestly: You will be happy for a break after official training. If you are interested in it, the school will organize a fight for you, but you better be prepared to train for it. Don't expect a show where you fight a guy who is getting paid to play around with curious tourists. It will be a real fight. You might win. You might lose.

Training starts with a collective warm up followed by shadow boxing and light sparring (boxing, kicking, grappling, no ground fight). During that, the trainers pick you out to do individual pad work. Training stamina and basic patterns makes a big part of the training but often they will also teach more subtle things, techniques a beginner like me would have never noticed in a real fight. Hlukhin and Noom are very good at adjusting their demands to your level of experience. Being a total beginner in Muay Thai (I used to do Wing Chun for many years) they made sure that I understand the basics. They don't try to pamper you, just because you came for a few weeks. They will point out your weaknesses, they will yell at your mistakes - not because they like picking at you but because they want you to improve and because they love what they do. Getting an approving nod after an incredibly exhausting session usually made my day, making me feel like I earned something.

Conclusion
I stayed there for a month. Not having done any sport in the last years I usually ended up crawling out of the gym, often directly to the nearby pool. And when I stopped panting and whining and watched how the red sun set while floating in the warm water I realized that this was the best damn thing I had done in a long time. (And btw: I lost 7 kg during my time there, yeah!)

Visited July 2011