“As others have said, it's a Muay Thai resort not a hotel!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lam Sai Village Hotel

Lam Sai Village Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Ko Yao Noi B&B and Inns
Ipswich
“As others have said, it's a Muay Thai resort not a hotel!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

It was a real shame! We had read good reviews and we wanted a quiet place to see the sunset. We did expect to get what was on the website: "Our luxurious air-conditioned double rooms come with a king-sized bed, wardrobe, desk and chair, satellite TV (with sport, movie, English and other language channels, etc.)". There was one English speaking channel in the room, which was the Japanese English speaking channel. Luxury - pulling hair out of the shower waste 2 minutes after we got there!

As soon as we arrived for a 3 night stay costing 2,500bht a night booked via an agent website, we were told that they cannot accept credit cards as 'the machine is not working'. Again the 'agents' website says accepted credit cards: visa, etc. The member of staff just told me where an ATM was, which we had to pay 70bht per person (children free) on a local pick-up taxi. That round trip, which was very nice, and we had lunch out, was 280bht. If we had known I would have brought cash from Phuket!

We were put on the first floor in room number 4, taking into account we had a 2 yr old child, the balcony was not safe for him. He could easier climb through, so I asked if there was a ground floor room available that night. I was told there was not, but they could move things around in the morning so we could have one. When un-packing, I opened the wardrobe and there was a cable going across the wardrobe, with a join taped up. This was for the fridge, again this is dangerous, so we did not plug the fridge in until our son had gone to sleep and stopped 'investigating' as he would have easier pulled the cable. For 2,500bht a night...... As I was going down to 'reception' again, I noticed room 5 was empty, it happened to have two separate bedrooms, but it was empty. I really could not be bothered to talk to the reception about this, because I know I would get no where. It was not what we expect for this price even though I was told that they were only one of the few with air-conditioning units in the rooms! That room 5 remained empty all night! When I asked about cancellation, I was again told about the cancellation policy..... no customer service or helping us out.

The rest of the island is very nice, although expensive (we have lived on Phuket for over 4 years and had never been to Khao Yai Noi). We did a trip around the island, not on a moped or bicycle, but in a pick-up. We didn't mind paying the 'expensive' price for the local taxis, we understand that.

It's a shame that this place is marketed as a 'hotel/village', as Meredith C wrote in February, 'it's an overpriced Muay Thai gym' which is fine. However, the reception staff member did not help us out or seem to care too much about us. We left and went home after only 2 nights of our 3 night 'holiday', paying the full amount. Even when I asked for my ID back after I had paid for the accommodation in full, the staff member was not going to give me it to me. I then had to say you are not allowed to keep IDs or passports, copies are ok, but she didn't seem to have access to a photocopier.

The setting was lovely, the pool was nice, the wi-fi was handy, but for 2,500bht a night....we could have gone to 'The Paradise', a hotel, not a gym with rooms, for an extra 500bht a night, but we wanted to be near the 'island life'.

Room Tip: Be careful of the hanging cables in the wardrobes!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lord_Andy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

We are very happy with our stay at Lam Sai! We felt welcome! Wish we would have stayed longer, defenitely going back. Best muay thai training I have seen, really good food and an overall good feeling. Thank you!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We arrived from Phuket with another couple and their son and had phoned to book two rooms, though when we arrived our rooms were not ready. The manager seemed nice but very flustered, we were fine about waiting anyway and had something to eat. We eventually got our rooms which were pool side, lovely views and little balcony/terrace. I feel the rooms were not worth the money though perhaps you are paying for the pool/ambiance/view to be fair. The manager also had to run around to find us some fans for our rooms, and when we checked out she tried to charge us more even though we only had the fan rooms, though she didn't seem to argue when we put her right. The food was pretty good and the kitchen staff lovely, we paid for a buffet on the Saturday night, which was tasty but quite expensive for what you got, not a massive choice for my friend who doesn't eat meat. We hired mopeds from them also and our friends got a puncture. We had to get it fixed in the town and ring back about what to do, but the tyres were in such bad shape it was to be expected. Though maybe we should of checked the bikes properly before we left. Overall the pool was great for our friends son, the views are pretty cool and the ambiance lovely. No beach though and the beaches on the rest of the island are nothing compared to phuket or other Thai beaches, but it is a lovely chilled island.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I do not understand why this place has such good reviews and rating on TripAdvisor. The owners should just convert it solely to a Muay Thai gym and ditch the hotel aspect. It is clear they are way more invested in the Muay Thai training center attached to this gym. The vibe is weird. There are Muay Thai trainees everywhere- kickboxers hanging out in the restaurant/reception area. They are totally nice enough, it is just kind of a strange atmosphere- feels like you are staying at a gym, not a hotel whose priority is taking care of guests. This was made clear to us when we tried to ask for a tuk-tuk to take us to the pier to catch the ferry to Phuket. Lisa (manager?) said she would call the tuk-tuk for us and make all the arrangements, and that a group of the boxers was actually taking the same ferry. Ok, cool. So we wait and wait. When the tuk-tuk finally shows up, all of the boxers/trainers pile on, filling it up, and they left us (the only hotel guests in the bunch) standing there. The British girl/boxer actually said to us, "Have a nice trip!" as the tuk-tuk pulled away. It felt almost mean or something, like we were the nerdy kids on the playground. We asked Lisa to call us another tuk-tuk, and also to see if she could call the ferry to make sure it did not leave without us, as it was very late at this point (which she did). Anyway, it was just weird. Hospitality is definitely not a priority here, and for the state of the room it is WAY overpriced. Ants EVERYWHERE. On the pillows, in the bed. Which would have been overlooked if there had been better service. Lastly, it is not in the best location. Stay somewhere closer to the main strip of beaches on the eastern coast.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Meredith C
minneapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed at Lam Sai for 4 days and it was perfectly adequate for our needs. The hotel itself is located in the middle of the two main areas of the island where things are going on - the small town center and the more touristy east side of the island with the beaches. We really liked the location and found it super convenient. Downside is that there is no beach right outside your door, but it doesn't take long on a motorbike to get somewhere you can swim. The hotel is also near two of the best restaurants on the island (Good View and Rice Paddy - you MUST go!!).

We really enjoyed being able to rent scooters directly from teh hotel and the pool was also really nice. (One down side of the pool is that they have all sorts of electrical pumps and equipment placed fairly precariously right on the pool's edge! It made us a big nervous).

The rooms were OK. Ours overlooked the pool and was on the ground floor. Very nice location! We had a little patio with chairs, too. The one thing that really bothered me was the lack of a dedicated shower in teh room - they pretty much just had a shower head in the bathroom with no divider for the shower and no shower curtain. So everything in the bathroom just got soaked every time you had to take a shower and the entire floor was sopping went for a few hours until the water evaporated. This was my main issue with the rooms. It was manageable, but somewhat of a pain. Not sure if all rooms are like that or if it was just ours. Seems like it wouldn't take much to put in a shower curtain, though....

Breakfast was not included, but fairly cheap on the little restaurant's menu. The service at the restaurant was not great and you won't get served if you don't go and find the cooks in the kitchen. Not too big a deal, though, but don't expect great service - though they are super friendly.

The sunset views are spectacular and unbeatable!

One final note - they don't tell you that you need to pay your balance in cash, so make sure you bring enough cash to do so. There are ATMs on the island, but they charge hefty fees.

All in all, I'd recommend Lam Sai if you're not expecting luxury, but enjoy a quiet place with friendly guests and staff.

Room Tip: choose a ground floor room overlooking the pool - you still get a great view of the water/sunset.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ashley r
Vereeniging, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed at Lam Sai for three weeks. I trained on and off and would recommend this little gem to anyone who wishes to just find peace and quite. I stayed in a deluxe room and had no complaints whatsoever. My room was clean and serviced daily. This hotel is well situated in terms of location as you are smack bang in the middle between both Krabi and Phuket. So easy access to explore both. Food at the restaurant was inexpensive and very good. The island is stunning, the people are truly humble and very friendly. I rented a scooter and explored every nook and cranny. 7 Eleven is about 3km down the road and the market offers fresh produce. The fruit is delicious. Freedom of movement for me was great as you can take your scooter on a long boat to the neighbour island. Diving at Elixir Divers on Koh Yao is great. If you take your scooter across from Koh Yao Noi to Koh Yao it cost about 150bt. The island is bigger yet has less in terms of restaurants etc. But great to explore. I would recommend this hotel and the island as it was for me truly great, if you looking for a luxury environment then this is not the hotel for you. Simple, clean and friendly accommodating staff.

Room Tip: A room on the ground floor is great as you can step from your balcony into the best pool on the isla...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Kristiansand, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

A friend of mine Adviced me to go to this place in order to get in shape. As I left from norway to thailand, I wheyed in at 133 kg. And leaving one month later I wheyed 121 kg. (thats 12 kg lost in one month!) It wasent easy work, but the trainers kept motivating and pulling me through it. I actualy enjoyed training for a change as I could see a great change in my body from week to week.

As for the hotel in it self. The staff were great! The rooms were nice(I had a fan room), the pool and the area around the hotel was great and it has an overall atmosphere that just kept me happy.(Zen?)

Also try the boat trip that the hotel arranges. They will take you to some fantastic beaches and islands around Koh Yao Noi.

Kind Regards Espen

#4 of 6 in Ko Yao Noi
Holiday Resort Koh Yao Noi
Holiday Resort Koh Yao Noi
#4 of 7 in Ko Yao Noi

Been to Lam Sai Village Hotel? Share your experiences!