“Great place for veggies but...”
Review of La Maison du Vert

La Maison du Vert
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ticheville
Antwerp, Belgium
“Great place for veggies but...”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

La Maison Du Vert is a hotel and restaurant for vegetarians combined. Guests are not obliged to have the hotel's breakfast and dinner, but I would especially recommend the dinner for vegetarians, vegans and anyone wanting to enjoy one or more tasty veggie meals. Main courses are well priced, starters and desserts in comparison somewhat more expensive, but delicious. We stayed in the cottage La Petit Maison Blanche, which is nicely furnitured and equipped for self catering. There are two disadvantages however to the cottage, which if known prior to booking, would have been a reason for me to not book it and just enjoy the restaurant. Part of the cottages ceilings are quite low, which for a person like me of almost 2 meters, means a lot of head bumping. This got really frustrating after a while. Especially when the weather is bad and you can't sit outside all the time. I understand there is not much the owners can do about this, but I would have appreciated if they had made this clear on their website. Also the beds, which have good matrasses, are not equipped for longer people like me. I had some really bad nights and woke up with stiff muscles. To end with a positive note, the huge garden is really great to enjoy. Also, Debbie (one of the owners) is very friendly and cooked our two year old daughter special meals, which we really appreciated. Btw: You can get a wifi transmitter now from the owner at request.

Room Tip: If you are tall like me, ask if there is a bed without a frame at the end.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank richard v

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed May 27, 2013

You cannot imagine our delight when we found this TREASURE in Normany France. Being Vegans, my hubby and I had a tough time in France but adjusted by buying our own breads, fruits and veggies and vegan yogurts (believe it or not) as we drove through France... Never believing we could find a B&B so charming and picturesque in the Middle of the countryside. Debbie the owner and her wonderful staff paid special attention to us as we were welcomed with an aperitif and delicious olive treats... Soon we were in our GORGEOUS room (typical French). Leaning out the french door windows from the spacious bathroom I found myself oohwing and aweing at the fresh herb and veggie gardens abound. Off in the distance of this very green country I could see and hear all the animals that I have been told are rescues. I was lucky enough to let out all the chickens and ducks and turkeys from the hen house one morning to feed them.. What a delight that was for this California city girl!!!
Now the food! What a 5 star surprise! Who says Vegan food is boring? Debbie the owner/chef created beautiful and delicious specialties that any gourmet lover would have.... only vegan. It is obvious that a great deal of love went into all her homemade delights from jams and butters and fresh squeezed juices in the morning to artistic, creative meals at dinner. I wish we could have stayed longer. I would go back tomorrow if I could. I would love to stay there and work there for the experience and the love of France. My husband and I will never forget Debbie and La Maison du Vert! The best experience at a B&B ever!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TinaMenier
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My fiancee booked this restaurant as a surprise for me, as I am a vegetarian. Being one of the few vegetarian restaurants we ever came across during our French rendezvous, this was a lovely little hidden gem.

The hotel isn't the easiest to find, despite having a GPS. But once we did find it, we were not at all disappointed. La Maison du Vert sits in a quaint and tiny town, which is just one street. The hotel grounds are very lush and well manicured, making you feel like you're in your own secret garden.

The interior is cosy, welcoming with a lovely inviting ambience. You immediately feel like you're a dinner guest in a close friends home. The bedroom conveys a similar feeling - inviting and cosy. You almost feel like you're at home. Despite all the rooms being on the same floor, and there being a very busy restaurant downstairs, there is total privacy and silence.

And now to the food... Both breakfast & dinner were fantastic. The food was delicious and fresh. You could taste the freshness in the ingredients used, all straight from the back garden. From the bread to the drinks to the dessert... I couldn't flaw a thing. And my meat-loving fiance didn't leave even a single crumb on his plate.

Definitely worth a visit for dinner and for an overnight stay on your French rendezvous.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We so enjoyed our week staying in the "La Petit Maison Blanche", a little cottage in the beautiful grounds, it was picture postcard pretty, cosy and had everything you could need (note that the internet connection is not wi-fi which was disappointing for some of our party and the TV has no signal but provides DVD access).

For our self catering first night we were welcomed with courgettes and cucumbers grown in the garden and were offered fresh herbs as required

Location was excellent with easy access to nearby towns and markets with good roads and accessible just three hours from Calais. There were also many rural walks right on the doorstep

We ate at the restaurant on three occasions, we have a fussy eater in our party and they provided exactly the food that she asked for at a very reasonable rate. Many of the dishes on the menu were vegan adapatable and I particularly enjoyed the Mediterranean Rosti and Thali. We would have liked a "specials board" to reflect the seasonal vegetables from the garden

Olives and a basket of bread and butters (including a vegan garlic spread) were welcome and delicious and the organic house white was excellent quality and value!

Eating out in the garden was a popular option with many customers, but we loved the intimate atmosphere of the well appointed restaurant

The staff were all hard working and charming and our daughter also made great friends with one of the kittens who was a regular visitor to the cottage!

I want to buy a house in France now just so I can visit more regularly!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
debbieveg, Owner at La Maison du Vert, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
So happy you enjoyed your stay! We now have wifi available on request and a new flatscreen tv with french channels and built in dvd. Dvd's available on request. Looking forward to welcoming you back, Debbie & Daniel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Beautiful gardens, friendly atmosphere, tasty food and drinks, comfortable and cosy... what more could you wish for! Really enjoyed our stay here- and can't imagine anyone else wouldn't either. The friendly and helpful staff made our stay all the more pleasant and added to a wonderful long weekend in Normandy. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Choose the cottage if you are staying with friends
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Not being veggitarian myself I must say we had a wonderful few days at The Maison Du Vert. The food, with produce mainly from their own beautifully kept garden, was excellent. The tiny village was very sleepy, the nearest town of any size is Vimoutiers. On the way however is a Panzer Mk VI Tiger, one of only two in France. There was much laughter in the hotel which added to the ambience.

Room Tip: Ask for the onsuite
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Stayed here last year and it was brilliant and the meal,very original and fantastic.Would stay here again

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank binky337
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ticheville
Hotel de Courteilles
#1 of 3 in Bernay
La Boursaie
La Boursaie
#3 of 3 in Livarot

Been to La Maison du Vert? Share your experiences!