“Friendly, great location and brilliant food”

Ocean Sports Resort
Ranked #16 of 26 Hotels in Watamu
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly, great location and brilliant food”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I brought a group of people here whilst we worked in a local school and everything about the hotel was perfect. Florian and Emilie were a great help when I was planning the itinerary, the staff in the hotel couldn't have been more welcoming, its and idyllic location, food is amazing and rooms are spacious.
I would highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank tommygun147
Emilie B, Manager at Ocean Sports Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Thank you so much for your review. We are thrilled that you and your group enjoyed your stay with us. It was great having you here and we hope you can make it back next year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2014

This has got to be my most favourite place I have ever been to, and I've been to a lot of places!
The welcoming is incredible and overwhelming! Never have I met such welcoming, hospitable and willing people!
Every member of staff is very friendly and trustworthy, just like friends! I felt very very safe!
The food is incredible! Never did I go a day without looking forward to eating here! The view is incredible, to die for!
The rooms are really spacious and have everything you need! Everything is very clean and whatever you need, it is quickly and efficiently provided. The beds are so comfortable and air conditioning is just too good!
This place is also perfectly positioned, as it is very close to local shops and markets, a couple of schools, the casino and easy to get to from Mombassa airport and Malindi.
Overall a safe, friendly, comfortable and beautiful place in all its ways!
I will definitely be back, more than just once!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a great review! All of us at Ocean Sports are very happy that you enjoyed your stay, the food, service and location. We hope you will be able to make it back to Watamu again in the near future. Many thanks again!
Bridlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I suppose its the fact that I have been there so often it never occurred to me to write about it. It's rather like reviewing your granny's house, it is always great, always welcoming and you are always happy to be there.
Set as it is on a beach that contains two other first class hotels, Ocean Sports could be considered as the poor relation but that would just not be true. Yes it is older than the others, almost a throwback to the old colonial days but that is its charm. It exudes an air of faded gentility which allows you to completely relax whilst you are there and really enjoy the experience.
It is also the chosen watering hole of the majority of the game fishing community which I have to admit was what drew me there in the first place.
Accommodation is more than adequate without being OTT and the food is always good. Florian has made great steps forward with the menu and the chefs have responded well.
The staff in general are hard working and anxious to provide a first class service which they invariably manage with a happy and smiling attitude.
Needless to say I shall be back for my annual months sabbatical next year so please join me, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Just ask for a room, they are all good.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Michael, thank you so much for writing us a review, you manage to sum up exactly what Ocean Sports is and what makes it special. We're thrilled that you enjoy staying here and come back year after year. As always, we loved having you and look forward to your next visit.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Been going to Watamu for 14 years as its my second home. Go to Ocean Sports most days for food and drinks, staff are friendly and so kind and most of them know me and my hubby very well and always feel very welcome, but this year in may don't know what has happened but they could not even supply my son with a plain omelette or pizza what is going on, ocean sports has a big pizza oven and don't make no more!!!! try telling your children this!!! what kitchen or chef do not have eggs?? Please change your menu or you might lose customers.!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. It is always to good to see what our customers enjoy and where we can make improvements. I am very sorry that you were disappointed on your last visit. Unfortunately my husband and I were on leave at the time so could not apologize to you in person. You will be happy to know that the pizza oven is up and running and hope that on your next visit to Watamu you will visit us again for a great lunch.
Destin
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We went to work at an orphanage in the area and this was our first time to Kenya. My first contact was with Thomas who helps with the desk and reservations. He did an outstanding job of reserving my rooms and arranging transportation from Mombassa.

Upon arrival he came by on his day off to make sure we made it in ok!

The rooms are basic but well kept and beds comfortable. Showers always worked and had hot water. I only say that because in out of the way places I have learned this can be an issue. It was a non-issue here.

It's also nice that there is a restaurant on the site. We ate most every meal at the restaurant and were satisfied with food and service each time. The servers went out of their way to take care of us.

There is wi-fi available in the Lobby/Bar area and it worked pretty well. I never had any issues getting on doing work I needed to do and to Skype back home.

The view of the Indian Ocean is great. It's amazing how much the tide goes in and out.

Since most of our time was work related I can't comment much on the "vacation" aspect of the area. Thomas did arrange a 4 wheeler expedition out into the forest to look for elephants one day which was nice. He even came along with us.

I'm sure anyone coming to Watamu for vacation looking for taxi or car service would be helped by the staff at Ocean Sports. They are very knowledgeable and willing to help.

I was there during the off season my comments are based on that. I believe it does get crowded during the peak season but that's for someone else to review.

All in all I would certainly stay there again and recommend it to anyone traveling to Watamu.

Room Tip: Rooms are in separate units. We had a 1 bed and 2 bed unit that were 1 building. I'm sure the st...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Emilie B, Manager at Ocean Sports Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review Ocean Sports. It is always helpful for future guests to see what our past guests enjoyed about the hotel. My husband and I were away on leave when you stayed but I am happy to see that the staff, and especially Thomas looked after you well. I hope that you can return one day and that we meet you here then!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Right on the beach with a great terrace restaurant overlooking Turtle Bay serving good food and very reasonable prices. The staff are very friendly and make you fell very welcome as well as being very efficient. Florian is a talented chef and produces great food some of which comes from his own kitchen garden. Hotel has great character and the feel of Africa of days gone by. Sports fishing, surf boards etc are all available. Highly Recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay and all that Ocean Sports and Watamu has to offer. From myself, Florian and all the staff, thanks again and hope to see you back soon.
Okemos, Michigan
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I last stayed here in the early 1990s; I loved it then, and still do. The staff is warm and helpful, the views are beautiful, the food is excellent, and it is very easy to arrange a host of varied activities.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your review of Ocean Sports. We are all very happy that after all these years you still love the hotel and Watamu. I hope your next visit will be sooner than the last!