“Stunning location - you are guaranteed to feel fantastic”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Watamu
Wildfitness - Baraka House
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Watamu
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I must confess that I was in two minds about attending a Wildfitness holiday as, though I am an active person, I am certainly no gym bunny/fitness fanatic. My doubts were quickly overcome - a very talented group of trainers did a great job of motivating everyone to reach their own maximum. It did not feel competitive or like a boot camp - the emphasis was on having fun which got more out of everyone. There was some very fit people in my group and they felt just as challenged as everyone else.

The location certainly helped - I felt very energised by the daily blue skies, white sands and warm Indian ocean - having a dip in the sea at the end of a sweaty session was a perfect way to cool off.

The food was fantastic and menus carefully designed to nourish the body and support our training. The house staff did an excellent job of looking after us and coming back to a spotless room and comfy bed every day was heaven.

After the 9 day course I felt fitter, leaner and more energised. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone who wants to take a bit of time out to look after themselves and have lots of fun on the way.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I came to Wildfitness at the end of a year that had seen me make great strides in my own personal fitness. I wanted to go on holiday somewhere a bit different to my normal destination (New York) and the programme seemed like a great way to maintain my newfound health. All I can say is that I'm so glad I did. My 9 day course helped consolidate my fitness levels and gave me a new lease of life - I can honestly say that during my time there I was the happiest I've ever been. The activities each day are fun and challenging, you're always learning something new, the food is excellent and the trainers are great at imparting their passion for all things fit and healthy. The location doesn't hurt either - it's hard to explain what a peaceful spot it is! I made great friends, learned so many new skills and can't wait to return to recharge once again in the very near future.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Yes, its incredibly expensive but if you break it down it down into 2 you get a great holiday:

1. The accomodation is a nice villa overlooking the Indian ocean, the cleaning staff do an amazing job with rooms and clothes (after a day of exercise) and the kitchen staff produce wonderfully, tasty and healthy food every day.

2. the fitness course is varied and the coaches enthusiastic and tailor it to everyones needs. Nothing like the gym and you'll be crawling in the sand, hanging on trees, swimming in creeks and boxing like a pro throughout your stay.

Support and planning by all staff is excellent. Not a bootcamp but fitness and holiday in equal measure

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Found Wildfitness on the Internet - it loved up to its name and more. Really enjoyed the whole experience from breathing exercises to running in the forests and jungle. I learned important aspects about my life I'd like to address as well as how I can easily incorporate a healthy (rather than gym and pure diet) into my life.

I loved being pushed to my limits - so often I realised that my limit was actually higher... I am really impressed with their ability to get the most out of each person - help them to reach and exceed what they thought was their potential and have fun while doing it. I can't wait to return home to share with my family some of what I learned and transform myself and my life for the better.

The staff are extremely competent and professional - though at times their own enthusiasm for the 'Wildfitness' doctrine is excessive and they forget that clients are not just trying to get fit but also have a holiday. The activities are well thought out and processes smart. There is a decent amount of rest time as well so long as there is no construction happening next door!!! Beware - there is no aircon - but the fans do work well. Despite mosquito nets you will still get bitten. It's all part of the experience. The only thing I would say here is that the resort should offer hard or soft pillows and improve the mattresses. Basically just foam. Not memory foam - just foam. Given one of their pillars of health is rest one would think Wildfitness would invest in better rest conditions.

I have never experienced better service. Your laundry is done, even your dirty shoes - suddenly brighter than the day you bought them. The food is fabulous, though some comments about the heavy use of spices after 2 weeks is accurate. Honestly, the Chef and his staff know about healthy eating. I was never hungry after a meal. Not once - just never felt the need for a snack.

While the service is better than any 5 star resort I've ever experienced, management could certainly improve. I asked for a fishing trip a week out for my spare day, while they talked about it almost every day nothing materialised. I had to sort it out myself. Took all of 30 minutes. I also took ill and they charged me for the assistant manager to take to and from the local doctor - didn't say they would,charge for this just did it. Given I contracted the virus at the resort (several staff also sick) thought this pretty poor form. They also charge you for airport transfers - same price whether you are by yourself or with a whole group in the same vehicle. Seemed at odds as to how the rest of the world works.

All in all the experience was life changing. My favourite aspect was meeting like mined people - many of whom I think will be friendships spanning a lifetime. Thank you to all the team at Wildfitness.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank HappyHolidays223
LauraWildfitness, Public Relations Manager at Wildfitness - Baraka House, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It was great to have you with us and we’re so glad you are feeling transformed and inspired! Thank you also for your honest feedback on some of the things we can improve which is always very useful for us.

We are very sorry about your experience with the fishing trip booking. We prefer to only make bookings with recommended third parties who we know will give guests a good experience but in this particular case, as we struggled to get hold of our usual contacts, we should have been more helpful in looking for an alternative for you. Our apologies and we will remedy this procedure for future guests.

Regarding the taxi journeys to the doctor, again we apologise that the assistant manager did not make the discretionary decision to waive the cost of these in your particular circumstances. We have now instigated a policy that no guests should be charged for essential trips to the doctor, so thank you for raising this point. We are sorry also for the confusion over the airport transfer cost. We do always split this cost between the number of people travelling. In your case you received a special discount for your first airport pick-up because you shared the journey with staff, which therefore made it the same as your home-bound journey, shared with other guests. It was totally our fault for not communicating clearly to you how the cost had been calculated.

Once again thanks for your very informative feedback and we are glad that overall you still had a fantastic experience. We hope that you continue your Wild journey back home and can visit us again some time soon.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I had been looking for an active holiday for years, when I happened upon a list of the top 10 fitness retreats in the world by Conde Nast Traveler. I was already planning a volunteer trip to the Maasai Mara at the end of December and wanted to extend it. So, I was thrilled when I found one of the retreats on the list, Wild Fitness, took place a one hour flight from Nairobi on the coast near Watamu.

The pictures of Baraka House and the beaches along the Indian Ocean were stunning. But, what sold me was the philosophy of the owner and her team. Wild Fitness promised a balance between a fitness holiday, eating healthy food and getting lots and lots of rest (my favourite part!). So, I called them the same day and booked a 3 1/2 week course!

All I can say is that my experience exceeded all of my expectations. The accommodations were gorgeous, the staff was amazing and the food was as promised - delicious. It was hard to believe that we were not consuming wheat, dairy, caffeine, sugar or alcohol. And, I actually started to enjoy getting up at 6:30am (not a morning person usually :-)) for our boxing class, barefoot run or jungle circuit training sessions. As each day passed, I could hardly wait for the surprise afternoon workout, our daily swims in the Indian Ocean and our hilarious chats about our day over dinner on the veranda.

Each day was better than the last thanks to the amazing team at Baraka House and all of our talented coaches, Anne-Laure, Augusto, Joash, Haron, Lucy, Armani and Joseph! Thank you for taking such great care of us and, above all else, for helping me to realize that I am capable of so much more than I ever realized. And, thank you for all the wonderful friendships that were made over those 3 1/2 weeks. I will never forget this amazing experience. ASANTE SANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
LauraWildfitness, Public Relations Manager at Wildfitness - Baraka House, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

It was great to have you with us too! Thank you for your review and we hope you are still feeling Wild and wonderful! xx

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Having been looking for the "ideal"holiday.. For as long as I can remember.. I'm sure I hit the nail on the head! WIldFitness leaves no stone unturned to make you feel as though you are at one with your surroundings.. They push your physical and mental capabilities without compromising your health.. From the location, coaches, food, layout of the course, and overall ambience. It was the freshest breath of air to a whole new outlook on the way I will approach my discovery to a wild life. Thank you to the whole baraka family .. Asante sana..I'll be back..

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We absolutely LOVE Wildfitness – we have now been twice, both times to Kenya in February and there can be few better ways, both mentally and physically to escape the UK winter and return full of energy.

The (de-)toxic combination of exercise, delicious (but healthy!) food and plenty of sleep is a potent cocktail guaranteed to send you home suitably re-invigorated.

We can’t deny it isn’t cheap: but on both occasions everyone on the course agreed it was worth it – and it is difficult to find an excuse to spend any money once you are there given that everything you need is included. If the costs of Wildfitness were broken down by accommodation, food, activities, massages etc, they would compare favourably to a typical holiday where we struggle to keep count of what we are spending money on. And, as my girlfriend happily pointed out, a normal holiday doesn’t send you home with a flat tummy and a toned bum.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends