“A hidden gem of a resort and .....Yes there are Turtles” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Turtle Bay Beach Club

Turtle Bay Beach Club
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Watamu
London, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem of a resort and .....Yes there are Turtles”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Turtle Bay Beach Club

I travelled here in October 2013 as a solo traveller, I picked up a very good deal from Thomson (in the UK) which worked out at less than £100 per day for a fully inclusive 14 night break including flights and transfers, a spur of the moment type of holiday to get away from the 4 walls of my very small office which appeared to be closing in on me on a daily basis ....:)

2 hrs from the airport at Mombasa, which makes for an early start on the return trip (3am)

Anyway, Turtle Bay Beach Club, a very pleasant hotel, this is clearly not their busiest time of year, I guestimate that they were probably a third full, mainly elderly British, a good measure of Americans most of whom appeared to be attending conferences in the hotel (families along for the ride, including very small babies, lots of breast-feeding in the restaurants at mealtimes ... :\ ) and a good smattering of Ugandans and other Africans also using the hotel for business conference purposes.
I am guessing that most of the local hotels have conference facilities at this time of year, it wasn’t a problem, but it did detract from the holiday atmosphere.

The Hotel

Very clean, all of the staff without exception were very polite and eager to make your stay as pleasurable as possible, I could not find fault at all with the hotel.
The Restaurants
Three restaurants, one Main where the bulk of meals were taken around the main pool, a Pizzeria style restaurant which took bookings for the evening (apparently very popular in high season) located adjacent to reception and an a la carte restaurant close to the beach ... all very high quality, I have no complaints about the food.
Tea, coffee and snacks were available throughout the day .... ask for anything and it would appear in a short while .... faultless.

Bars

Three bars, one in reception area tended to be a quieter bar, the main bar around the pool served drinks throughout the day with a waiter service covering the pool area and the beach, very efficient and clean,, there was also a beach facing bar in the evenings which has a pool table and access to a covered terrace on the beach.

Pools

There are two pools the main pool is the focus of the complex for meals and activities it has a couple of smaller plunge type pools for small groups to chill in, one end is shallow, the other deeper with a clear dividing line which made it suitable for all ages and abilities.
The second pool is the quiet pool with no music or children allowed, the ideal place for those who want to chill-out.
Pool towels are available and thick mattresses for the sun loungers around the pools and beach area.

Massage

There is a Massage and Beauty centre onsite, quite expensive, very few people were taking it up, the Masseuse and Beauty Therapist spent a lot of time sleeping !!!!
There is also a hairdressers on site which could be booked at reception

Activities staff

A great bunch, would encourage you to join in everything regardless of age or ability, some of the activities included: - daily walks to local attractions (and also to get people to venture past the front gate, it is not that scary) table tennis, darts, aquarobics, beach competitions, volleyball etc etc, they have endless patience and always a cheery disposition, I am not usually one to take part in these activities (because I am a miserable sod) but I was coaxed into joining in with something every day .... no mean feat I can assure you ... 
There is also a “Kids Club” for the younger holiday makers.

Dive Centre

There is a dive centre as part of the complex (as I understand it not part of the hotel, but co-located) where you can book diving, snorkelling, glass bottom boat trips windsurfing etc at extra cost.
I did take out a catamaran and a pedello, saw lots of fish and Yes.....Turtles.... cool 

The Beach

Now we come to the downside of Turtle Bay ... ....
Despite the best efforts of the locals and the hotels along this stretch of coastline, I have never seen so much debris and rubbish on any beach that I have ever visited, the hotels collect tons of rubbish during the course of the year but don’t appear to be making too much of a dent in the problem, there is more plastic and nylon than I have ever seen on any beach before.
Being a nature conservation area the seaweed is not cleared either which just makes the matter worse, piles of seaweed (some as high as six feet in places) up to knee deep on the hotel beachfront did not make for good swimming, I am a keen snorkeler and found the going difficult, the visibility was poor due to the debris and weed in the water and although this is a conservation area there was little if any evidence of increased fish numbers, I would be happy to be proved wrong but I did not see great amounts of fish despite being in the water twice a day, at low tide it was possible to walk on the dead coral and see small fish in the rock pools as well as moray eels in some of the larger pools, there was little (read “No”) evidence of work being done by the conservationists, looked more like conservation by regulation and neglect to me .... very sad as it is a beautiful stretch of coast.

The Beach Boys

As with all resorts, there are beach boys, they will all try to sell you trips and safaris they don’t own or run anything themselves and are just trying to scam you as is the norm, however, to be fair the guys on this beach (and outside the Hotel) did take no for an answer, were not too pushy and would leave you alone if told to, it is still a mystery to me where they get their prices from and just how successful they are, I am sure that if they were to organise themselves and agree on a sensible pricing structure with a fair rate of commission that the operators and the boys could make a regular steady income instead of what must be a very hit and miss kind of existence, but I suppose that greed and the chance of the next sucker is just too tempting.
I did take a few walking trips with one of the beach boys, he didn’t ask for money but was given a very fair tip for his troubles, ask for Syria one of the older guys, quite chatty and cheery, I found him to be ok, he soon came to realise that I was a seasoned traveller and not for scamming, something is better than nothing, he earned well on the occasions that I walked with him.
So in conclusion ... The hotel is fine you will not be disappointed, the beachfront is slightly raised from the main beach and ok, but the main beach (in my opinion) is disappointing, the masses of seaweed (mentioned in previous reports) was a problem and detracts from the overall experience, and only for this reason I wouldn’t come back to Turtle Bay, nice hotel, nice people, disappointing beach .... 

I wrote the above review quite early in my stay and stand by it, however, I am assured by the locals that during high season December to May (or thereabouts) the seaweed is not on the beach and the sea is a lot clearer and calmer, I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Turtle Bay and would possibly consider a return during the high season to see if the beach is clear.

I hope that this is of use ...:)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mickmansworth117
DDGM63, General Manager at Turtle Bay Beach Club, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Contributor,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and honest review of your recent stay at Turtle Bay as we do really value the insight and feedback.
To pick up on the one general point about the beach and conservation we must point out that regular beach clean ups are conducted by the resort's staff along with various volunteers and these are done every Friday. The removal of the weed is not however permitted by the Kenya Wildlife Service as we are within a marine park and unfortunately much of the plastic you saw on the beach is brought in in the weed lines that are blown onshore by the South Easterly wind known as the "Kusi" and which blowns very strongly from May to September. As the wind then starts to move round slowly to the North Easterly (The Kaskazi) by early to mid December the weed gradually reduces and we are left with pristine white beaches and we would thoroughly recommend that as a lover of swimming and snorklelling that you do indeed come and check out the area then. We hope that in spite of the disappointment at the weed you did have an enjoyable and relaxing holiday with us and you will indeed come back and see us again at a more snorkelling friendly time of the year ! Kind regards from The Turtle Bay Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

We have just returned from Turtle Bay and must say having been concerned at the star rating in comparison to the reviews, I must say it is the best holiday that I have ever had, especially as it was my honeymoon.

We checked in and were in a standard room; however the disco which occurs each night could be heard loudly from our room. I spoke to the reception and they moved us to a Lamu room and the room was perfect. There were no difficulties with moving and the staff had arranged the move before I went back to reception in the morning.

I agree that the bed sheets need to be replaced; however they were adequate. The lack of wifi was an issue at times; however not a massive concern and Nancy in the business centre will help you connect!

Moving onto the staff, they are incredible. They will know you by name within 24 hours and treat you like royalty. Patrick in particular who was a trainee was amazing and all of the other staff were too. Josephine worked really hard to ensure that you always had a drink when lounging around the pool.

We visited another hotel for a wedding and could not wait to return to the hotel and were welcomed back by the staff. Damien the manager was excellent and talked to guests as often as he could, even arranging for us to see a suite for our next stay.

The food was excellent and John will produce you any egg you like for breakfast. The Buffett meals were also great, with a good selection for all. The hotel has a pizza restaurant, which is included in the all inclusive, and an a la carte restaurant which is extra; however the seafood was excellent.

I had injured my ankle one day and for the following two days staff were offering to call a doctor or asking how I was, they felt like my family.

The waterspouts are included and I would recommend canoeing around the turtle rock. We booked a dhow boat trip and this was also excellent with Tumu an Mac offering entertainment. You can go swimming in the creek; however only do so if you are a strong swimmer!

Tuk tuk's can be arranged to visit the local shops or to go for ice cream. The staff at the hotel will help you visit wherever you want to go.

We are already booking to return and I would recommend that anybody visits.

Turtle Bay was excellent for couples and families!

Room Tip: The Lamu rooms are. Rey quiet if you do not want to hear the disco!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

The Turtle Bay Bay Beach hotel was everything we could have hoped for and more. We had booked one of the 'Lamu' rooms which were in a lovely setting, overlooking the quiet adult-only pool, set in beautiful surroundings of trees and garden, with plenty of very welcome shade. The sea breeze made the temperature very pleasant. The hotel is right on the beach, which was very quiet in October :)

The hotels has two pools, a large family pool and a good size adult only quiet pool which was lovely. The food was very good and plentiful, with plenty of choice to please all tastes. The fresh fruit was great. The all-inclusive deal worked very well and meant that you didn't need to cast a thought to what you ordered, food or drink wise. The staff were excellent, regularly on hand to ask if you would like a drink for example.

The beach itself is beautiful, with plenty to see (rock pools with an amazing range of sea life) and lots to see walking along the beach. The water was so warm. The snorkelling at the nearby 'Coral gardens' (15 mins by boat) was good. The Mida Creek, about 20 mins by tuk-tuk was beautiful, quiet and very peaceful in a dug-out canoe.

All in all, a superb break!

Room Tip: We liked the Lamu rooms by the quiet pool area, as the environment was very green and quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DavidCFrench
Walsall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

This hotel has just about everything for an enjoyable relaxing holiday. It's one of the best "all inclusive" I've ever been to. Tea and coffee in my room, along with a steel flask of ice cold water, which was all replenished daily., including fresh flowers. Waiters delivered drinks to my sunbed and the bar was well stocked and staffed by extremely friendly and capable staff. The whole place was exceptionally clean, with gardeners working daily to keep the grounds looking so nice.
The restaurant had chefs waiting to cater to everyone's needs, with a wide choice of dishes to suit everyone. Don't expect delicious deserts though, they're not brilliant, but there's always a choice of fresh fruit available.
It's so nice to have a "quiet pool" for adults only, much appreciated. The larger pool is great for families, lots of room for fun. Children are well catered for, with their own area and dedicated staff to make sure they enjoy every day..
I stayed in a Lamu room, which was lovely, but not really worth the extra £52 per night, as other rooms were just as nice, it's the location that's a little better.
This was a very enjoyable experience staying at this hotel, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.
I didn't have a single minutes problem with tipping, I just didn't tip until my last night. I received excellent service throughout my stay

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Chrissieann
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

I can't say enough good things about Turtle Bay. It's been one of my favourite places to stay and I really didn't want to leave!

The rooms have a marine theme and are nicely decorated. They were very clean.

The food was fantastic. Unfortunately we were only there 3 days!! The lunch and dinner buffets for had such a brilliant choice without repeating dishes. Myself and my husband love our food and generally aren't fans of buffets but you couldn't fault anything about it here as it was delicious. Breakfast was also great and they have the most amazing fruit juices. As for 4pm pancakes - we based our day around these!!

The staff were fantastic and so helpful at every turn from serving drinks around the pool to the serving and waiting staff. We had a problem with the electricity in our room and were moved to a room of our choice as soon as we requested it.

One of our favourite things was having the adult-only pool which was a welcome break from the kids. Saying that it's a great resort to bring kids to (we don't have any) as very child friendly with a good kids club. This resort is a good all-rounder as couples like us could get a break from the kids.

There were good activities organised also like aqua aerobics, beach walks etc. The beach walk was good to get a walk without being hounded by beach boys. There was a lot of seaweed as its washed ashore at this time of year but clears in November. It's protected so the hotel can't clean it up so can't be helped, it's just nature!

We didn't leave the resort for the 3 days as we were looking for some relaxation by the pool and beach and we got that. The food and drinks were so good there was no need to even bother trying elsewhere.

Myself and my husband both agreed that we thought it was very good value for money for the all inclusive package.

The only extra we paid for was the wifi - 500ksh for 24 hours which was very slow and only available in the lobby but it was good to relax and switch off.

We are already planning to return again the future!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Globalhoneymooner
Canvey Island, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Last year was wonderful, this year it was let down in certain areas. Firstly the welcome and registering was as good as last year, friendly and very helpful. Next the rooms were very clean but the bedding was in need of renewing ( sheets old and bobbly), room staff very helpful thanks to Christopher. Now to the food lets start with the A Le Carte menu great, staff great Tony and Stephen deserve a big mention, now the Pizza restaurant better than any pizza hut or dominos anywhere. The restaurant for breakfast, lunch and evening dining was good but not the standard of last year but still fair. The most disappointing thing for me was that I always appreciate the staff as they work hard and I do hand out a tip for service but over the 14 days I was there it became obvious that as soon as my wife and I appeared at meal times either Masa or Ratibu would rush from whatever they were doing to seat us and fetch our first drink for our meal and as soon as a tip was produced would not appear again this became so noticeable when Benson started to serve us Masa rush up from serving another table and told Benson he will get our drinks not him thinking of a tip not service I must add that the tip went to Benson much to Masa annoyance while around the pool the same thing brought a water by one staff tip and you wouldn't see them again for the rest of the day the only staff that was consistant were the pool staff who cannot be faulted very very helpful Kadance Sylvester Josephine also deserve a big mention. The most disappointing aspect from last year was the fact that people were smoking around the swimming pool and in no smoking areas, when we did ask about it the staff just shrug their shoulders and wouldn't do anything. There are plenty of signs for smoking and no smoking areas so why can't the staff control the areas?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Terry K
DDGM63, General Manager at Turtle Bay Beach Club, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
We are sorry that your recent trip to Turtle Bay was a let down due to certain aspects of the service you received. We shall of course look into the areas that you felt fell short of the mark in comparison to your previous visits and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again and show you that we can do better. Thank you for the feed back and we hope to see you back with us at some stage in the not too distant future.
Kind regards from a warm and sunny Watamu!
kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I shall try and keep this review short.

We returned to Turtle Bay 1st September for a 3 week stay, we had another wonderful time and were treated like family coming home. Many of the Staff remembered us by name which was lovely. We were shown to our room upon checking in and were pleased to have the same room as on our previous visit in 2011.

The Restaurant was clean and tidy and always a good choice of food. Plenty of waiters serving drinks and cleaning plates away and making sure everyone was ok. We also ate in The Blue Turtle sevaral times and even tough this isnt part of the all inclusive package its well worth going in there for a meal. The service is first class, we were served on each visit by Silas, a very polite man who was very attentive. We also ate in the Pizza Restaurant and the French Onion Soup is to die for, if i could have brought some home i would have !

The Grounds are always immaculate and the Gardeners start work early and leave everywhere looking beautiful. Like all the other staff at the Hotel the Gardeners always greeted us with a huge smile and a ' Jambo '.

I've never really commented before in previous reviews about the Entertainment Team but they work so hard throughout the day. They take you on organised walks along the beach and around Watamu Village, Beach Clean Up, there's Water Areobics, Water Polo and they have so much energy in the scorching heat i really dont know how they do it. They also manage the evening entertainment, disco's and introducing the evening acts such as the local men and women who dance and do acrobatics. After each show the local people always try and sell carvings and sarongs and other bits and pieces and i feel so sorry for them when no one gets up to buy anything, i really think it would be a good idea if they went round with a tip jar and what ever they get they could split between them......( well thats my thoughts )

The Beach still had some seaweed on it but it was clearing fast over the 3 weeks. There wasnt as many Beach Sellers around this time because of the low number of guests. Their all very friendly and want to chat to you and show you the beach and the rock pools, if your not interested then a polilte no thank you is enough and they leave you alone, but remember their only trying to make a living.

We did The Island excurion again with the Hotel on their Dhow Boat and had another wonderful day out. If you like Lobster and Prawns your love it. They also serve Chicken too, and endless Cocktails and not forgetting Tusker Beer. The lady in the excursion office 'Tumu' came with us and we had such a laugh with her and the waiter 'Mac' both are a credit to Turtle Bay.

The day we arrived it was the re opening of The Pole Pole Bar across the road from the Hotel much to my Husbands delight, it was shut on our previous visit to Turtle Bay, the bar has a very good atmosphere with the locals and worth having a Tusker or two...!!!

A few doors away from the Bar is a beautiful Wood Carving Shop owned by Julius, ( turn right out of the hotel ) always worth a look around his shop, and if you dont want to go to the shop he has his carvings on show around the pool at the hotel on a friday afternoon. If you take anything in to his shop you dont want to take home with you he will gladly swap what you have for a carving. He likes to get Clothes for his Children and Pens and Pencils.

We did our Safari again with Abdul of Tunda Tours starting it off by flying to Amboseli and staying at Kilima Camp for 2 nights then flying on to Masai Mara and staying at Royal Mara where we stayed in 2010, i shall do seperate reviews for these Camps.....

I must add i have recommended this Hotel to many guests over the years and it was so nice to finally meet a few that were there during our stay and some that flew in a few days before we departed.

Well i really cant say anymore as its all been said by other guests and my previous reviews. If you book you wont regret it. I have already booked my return visit, i shouldnt wish my life away but i cant wait for 2014....!!!

A massive thank you to Damian for such a wonderful holiday once again, to Sabine, Nancy, Celestine, Tumu, Mac, Samson ( F&B Waiter ) Ratibu, Hamish, Silas, Alex ( The Omelette Chef ) and everyone else.....see you soon.

Jackie & Mick.

Room Tip: If you have any request before arriving drop the Hotel an email and they will do their best to help...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple