“Lovely”

Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Watamu
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Had a good time and the kids enjoyed themselves especially a the kids club. The food was lovely although they could sometimes do the Swahili food. Didn't know about massage parlour until my last day there so please you need to advertise things like this. Otherwise we really had good fun

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Dakar, Senegal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

We don't usually go for all-inclusive packages, but Turtle Bay most certainly changed our minds about how nice and personable they can be. Everything was pretty much perfect. Excellent food for buffet style presentation, clean rooms and facilities and everyone seemed genuinely friendly and interested in ensuring all of the guests were having a pleasant and relaxing stay.

As some of the other postings suggest, evening noise from the main pool area does seem to be a problem in some rooms, but we stayed in the Lamu rooms and I never heard a thing despite being a light sleeper.

Some of the regulars (we met one lovely chap who was there for the 28th time) cautioned that it's wise to pick when you visit and to avoid November and particularly December when the resort is heaving, which is probably wise advice. It wasn't very busy during our visit, which only added to the peace and quiet.

All in all an excellent choice for a good price. We've been busy recommending it friends since we've been back.

Room Tip: Ask for a Lamu room if you want to be sure about having some peace and quiet. Not sure if they'r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank awaferthinmint
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I am in the hotel at this very moment, using the computers for which they charge by the minute.

They go to great lengths to tell you about all the great projects they're involved in. What they should be doing is maintaining the rooms.

First the safe didn't work. Then the air conditioning didn't work. When I went to call the desk to get someone to fix it, the phone didn't work. They eventually came and fixed the safe and A/C. They took the phone saying they'd replace it later since they didn't have any others available. And then came the music. There were a total of about 12 people in the disco, yet the music was going for hours. I complained around 11PM and they lowered it. Then, there was some type of alarm going for several hours.

Every inch of the beach is littered with seaweed. If you want to swim, you have to cross the seaweed covered beach and then wade out to where you can find some clear water. Apparently, they are not allowed to clean the beach because it is part of the marine park. But the result is that the beach is unusable.

Most of the staff is quite nice. Food is plentiful, but lacking in quality.

In the end, I'm leaving early. They require advance payment, which I will insist they return. If not, I will have to dispute the charge.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank trebex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I was a walk in, having made no pior arrangements I just walked in and luckily I got a room. its a standard room, simple and to the point. I have enjoyed myself so far, it's all inclusive and you can eat pretty much whenever you want. the service is good the food is nice. I Will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2012
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel really welcome. Nancy helped us make our wedding anniversary extra special. The holiday was a lot of fun and very relaxing. The food in the restaurant was excellent with an interesting and varied menu. The staff throughout the hotel were friendly and helpful and the entertainment during the day and evening catered for everyone. The hotel cares not only for its guests but for the surrounding environment and community. Information regarding local projects abound and we left feeling not only had we enjoyed our holiday but that we had experienced something very special - a hotel with a heart. We did talk to local people on the beach who were very helpful. With their help we went on a wonderful safari (make sure whoever takes you has a park guide licence) and we were also taken on a very interesting walk by other kenyan friends we met on the beach to the rockpools and also out snorkelling on a boat Their knowledge of the locality is superb. A well run hotel and a truly memorable holiday.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shuttleworth50
Eldoret
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

The food was really good and plentiful. They were accommodating to our schedule. The room was supposed to be overlooking the ocean but all I could see were the backs of other rooms. I loved the relaxing setting during the day. The problem was the night-life that began just about when I was wanting to sleep. The music was very loud ( a lot of bass and drums) and when I requested it to be lowered, I think it actually got louder. I coped the first night but the 2nd night the music was even louder (and my room wasn't that close to the entertainment). I complained to the manager who offered to help me to change to a room farther away from the noise. Since I was leaving the following day I didn't want to move all my belongings to the other room. The manager allowed me to keep my stuff in the "first room" and take only what I needed for the night to the other room. While this helped to reduce (and I say reduce because I could still hear it) the noise so that I could sleep, it was an inconvenience. I was with a group which had meetings in the mornings. If I were to choose a hotel for a relaxing vacation it would not be this one.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Deborah H
billericay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

This was our 4th visit to this wonderful hotel,
which made us feel sad that we had left it so long between visits, we will be back very soon.
we were made very welcome although we arrived late sunday evening the dinning staff was expecting us and were prepared to stay late to ensure we had a meal
All the staff are great and made it very special for wedding anniversary (thanks Sabine)
lots of choice of food during our stay and the only problem during our stay was the beer glasses being pint pots where I prefer a straight glass ( I will take some back with me when we next return) but James the barman even found one straight glass for me this is a perfect example of how all of the staff go above and beyond to make your stay the best it can be.
On our last evening we took the Dhow trip which was fantastic end to a wonderful stay

Room Tip: lamu rooms have a great outlook
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple