“Great place to relax and amazing pool!”

Tembo Village Resort Watamu
Ranked #12 of 23 Watamu B&B and Inns
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
“Great place to relax and amazing pool!”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We booked the apartment and were pleasantly surprised and how nice and comfortable it was. Large space with two bathrooms and a great balcony overlooking the pool. Martina and the staff were very welcoming and accommodating to our time preferences. I plan on coming back as soon as I can!

Room Tip: Apartment is great!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Stockport, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I am a regular visitor to Kenya,particularly the Watamu area.I was familiar with Tembo Village,having dined there on numerous occasions.I always found the food to be excellent,beautifully prepared and nicely presented.On our last visit in May we had the good fortune to be guests at Tembo.We stayed for a month and thoroughly enjoyed every moment.Tembo village is a little gem,located in a secluded area of Watamu and set in tropical gardens,with a lovely swimming pool,it is an oasis of peace and quiet.Ideal for people wanting a relaxing and tranquil holiday.The local village and the stunning Watamu beach are only a few minutes away (100ks.by tuk tuk-about 70p ).The hotel is run by Peter,Bettina and family who will ensure that your every need is catered for,really wonderful hosts.The apartments are spotlessly clean and serviced daily.I have no hesitation in recommending Tembo village for people who prefer a small family run hotel,with traditional values.We will be back again in September,so may" see you there ".
Stan and Sally.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Augsburg, Germany
Reviewed May 22, 2012

It was beautiful... I was there for two weeks and I had a great time. Great place to stay, good service, breakfast top, room service and staff always friendly....
Walking to the beach about 15 minutes.... Hakuna Matata (pole pole)....
travel there again..... :-)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Odense, Denmark
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I agree with Guilfybear "Everything have been written" My Fiancé and I stayed for 20 days whit excellent food and service. The last 6 or 8 days we where the only guests at Tembo Village and the service went from excellent to VIP and I eat to much every day :-). Great place that we have to visit again and also if it's only for the dinner. Well done Bettina, Peter and Lara

Room Tip: If you can't cope with the heat, select a room with AC
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JesJac
Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

Where do I start, after much deliberation on where to spend our holiday with our families we decided on Tembo Village, such an incredible place with very good food and ambient atmosphere to relax. Though might want to think twice if travelling with kids as there were no kids activities at all. And that was our case, we had planned to spend 4nights but it was clear the adults were having fun and the kids not, and thats where the trouble started. We had spent two nights and decided to change to one that was beach front and give the kids an awesome experience. We were forced to pay for all the nights we were supposed to spend, this was pretty funny given the fact that we had taken a couple of rooms. We asked for a percantage refund policy but my friend Bettina and the Husband refused to listen to us. Quite amazing given the fact that we had good rapport but colours changed. I for certain know Bettina would not have liked being treated the way she treated us. We felt really bad, but everything and everyone serves a purpose under heaven.
William
Kenya

Stayed April 2012
3 Thank maithya w
Bettina N, Owner at Tembo Village Resort Watamu, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Hello, and thanks for your compliment, on the setting and style of Tembo Village and the beautiful food!
At the same time I find your rating totally unfair and feel I must explain this matter to future guest.

We have been in e mail and telefon contact about 1 month, before your arrival for easter holidays with family and friends. You booked 3 double rooms and 1 triple room for 4 nights on half board. I send you my reservation and you paid 50 % deposit. Shortly before your arrival you added another double room and a family room to your booking. On my question, wether you could send for the added rooms deposit, you answered, there is NO problem, you would pay on arrival and I should have trust in you. I trusted you!!

Meanwhile I cancelled other new booking requests, because we were fully booked. Acually I had an overbooking for 2 nights of 2 rooms and went to book at nearby places for new arrivals on easter monday.

On your arrival day travelling by road, you called me at 7.00 pm, requesting to check in by 9.00pm and to keep the kitchen open for your meal.
We stayed waiting for your group up to 1.30 am that night and even served you a 3 course meal of 2 choices. Kitchen staff stayed up to 2 am and had to come next morning early for breakfast.
After your meal, please remember, you had not yet checked in offically by filling your cards and paying the balance of 2 nights.
Reminding you after dinner, you requested, because of the tired children to finalise in the morning and informed me the same time 2 guest (staying in 1 double room) did not arrive, because the woman is near to deliver her baby.
Did you not know this a few days BEFORE??
The guest for the family room you told me, would come next day by plane.
Already, we lost a booking of 1 room and 1 night in family room, but I did not say anything!

Next morning after breakfast you remembered it was a bank holiday (God Friday) and you could not get into the bank, so payment was kept for next day, on Saturday. You slept your second night and I TRUSTED you again.

Saturday morning, I was out of the hotel and got informed over phone by my daughter Lara, that you were not happy with our place, because of your children missing entertainment. When I arrived at Tembo, i noticed you had already packed all your belongings and your wifes and children were waiting in the car.
I could not accept this excuse, because it was clear from the beginning over e mail and phone, that we do NOT have a kids club, which is also clear from our our webside.

How could we accept you check out and not clear your booking of 4 nights? Any Hotel in this world is working on reservations, which can be cancelled even up to 3 nights before arrival, as in your case, I could have rented the rooms to other guest on waiting list.

We accepted a discount of ksh 14000 and 5 empty rooms for 2 nights until the arrival of a large group on easter monday. On top of that, we lost the money for the already paid 2 rooms we had reserved in another guesthouse near us, because of overbooking for 2 nights.

I am sorry and still feel it was unfair to rate us TERRIBLE because of TRUSTING YOU from the day of arrival.
Kenya
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Everything that can be written has probably already been written so I keep to basics.

Tembo village exceeded expectations, was excellent value for money. Much better than what is presented on website although admittedly it was quiet with not too many guests.

Walk to beach 15 minutes (pole pole). Clean Rooms, Excellent food, Clean pool and a clever set up for meals. I would highly recommend.......

Room Tip: They are all much same - excellent with thoughtful decorations, paintings, carvings etc etc
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Nairobi
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Tembo Village Resort is a very lovely place to be and the atmosphere is so relaxing,staff are excellent with their smiles and services,the owners are always there Bettina and her family are ready with a helping hand whenever required. I was there during the Easter weekend 2012 with family and I must say this is a good family vacation resort !
The food is Awesome ! I can still feel the taste of the Fish Masala and the Pizza and the meat balls the list is too long for me to go on with...and they cater for all young and old so u will not go wrong with the food.
The whole set up of the building and swimming pool location is very convinient for all the guests especially those with little children we can relax and watch over the kids.
All in all this place is a must visit and next time I will take some friends with their family so they too can experience this. Thank you Tembo Village I cannot write enough :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family