“Great little dive centre”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Aqua Ventures

Aqua Ventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Aqua Ventures is an owner operated company established in Watamu in January 1990. Steve and Helen Curtis, the proud owners of the company, have successfully managed Aqua Ventures and moulded it into what is considered one of Kenya's leading dive centres. Steve an ex-military diver from Zimbabwe has been diving in Kenya since 1982. Helen, Kenyan by birth, has been diving since 1989. Watamu, being the first established Marine Park and reserve in Kenya, with its superior underwater topography and uncluttered beaches made it the natural location for Steve and Helen to start their business. From humble beginnings at the Ocean Sports Resort, Aqua Ventures operates three diving boats and has a well equipped diving centre with 3 compressors and over 50 sets of well maintained diving equipment.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
Ottawa
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Great little dive centre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

Bigger on the inside than the outside... Aqua Ventures was very professionally run, great value. The rental BCDs seemed brand new; all the equipment was in great condition. They even had a couple of masks with corrective lenses, thank goodness as I had forgotten my own. DSD training for my niece covered everything so that she was ready to dive the next morning. Calm, methodical briefing. Everything (almost everything) was carried out to the boat for us. In November, they were running only a two-tank morning dive. The afternoon was a little too windy and choppy to make it worth trying to dive.

Visited November 2011

London, United Kingdom
“Perfect way to learn to scuba dive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

Best instructors who are passionate about their work and also have the highest standards of safety.

Visited August 2011
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Great instructors, something for all abilities!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Just got back from a trip to Kenya where we went kayaking, cycing and diving with Helen and Steve. They were both excellent, giving clear instructions and helpful tips before we set off and giving extra support throughout the activities.

The cycling trip took us out of Watamu into the surrounding countryside eventually ending up in the local forest which was beautiful. They kept checking that we were all ok and they gave extra support to the members of the group who were finding it more difficult. Special thanks to Steve for sticking with me til the end!

Thanks to both of you, you really enhanced our holiday in Kenya and if we come back to Watamu again I shall certainly be booking another activity with you!

Visited July 2011
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Aqua Ventures experience made our holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

I have been diving with Helen and Steve a number of times before and couldn't wait to bring my friends out to share this great experience. They loved every minute of the cycle through the Arabuko- Sokoke Forest (even the sandy bits!), the extremely thorough introductory diving course and the snorkelling. There is so much to see inside the reef and both Helen and Steve are very knowledgeable, ensuring an exciting but also educational experience. Will definitely be returning to Watamu and diving with Aqua Ventures again in the not so distant future.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank Love2travel186284
Midlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Safe, organised & friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2011

Steve Curtis reminded me of another man at a wonderful dive operation in Belize. Both clocked that I was nervous, stepped in exactly when needed, to do exactly what was required, then backed off again. I guess when it's your own business & therefore reputation on the line, it's in your interests to be aware & keep an eye on people, but without making them feel at all under scrutiny.

A tropical storm was over Madagascar that, making the ocean at beautiful Watamu abnormally choppy. My husband has many years' experience of diving in South Africa, but was moaning about the conditions & poor visibility. I came back from the double-dive elated, having really built my confidence, because I'd learnt that I COULD cope with less than ideal conditions (& had seen lots of beautiful fish, even in the reduced vis, which was the whole point!). With Steve in charge, I felt in the best hands.

Staff will carry your tank to the boat if you choose, & the boat crew are all divers themselves. We were sat down for a thorough dive-briefing at the dive centre, which demonstrated good discipline. There was a nice atmosphere on the boat & I felt at ease.

Visited February 2011