“nice...but overpriced”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We ate here recently and as it was our first night in the area and it was late we took the recommendation from our accommodation to eat here.
Good stuff..nice staff, nice breads..actually really nice bread..nice food and nice wine
Bad stuff.... all of the above nice stuff was way overpriced.. our bill was 120€ for what I can safely say would have cost me €80 at home in a similar standard restaurant..indeed we ate 2 other nights in Aix en Provence in restaurants of similar standard and the bills on both occasions were less then €70.
The food was good enough for a 4 star rating and although I want to rate it at 3 stars I feel it would be unfair to the business to do that as the only complaint I have was over its pricing so I am giving it 4 with a caveat....its not cheap

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Decided to venture out of Aix for evening meal tonight and so ended up at l'Auberge. Arrived at opening time, 7.30pm. Standard French type building outside, inside the dining room decorated and fitted out in a plain, simple but very tasteful style, giving a good impression of what was to come. Staff very courteous and pleasant. Ordered the set menu at 39€ and a wine of the day a rose (this is provence) at 25€. First course courgette flowers stuffed with salmon, excellent, followed by cod with aioli sauce and vegetables again very good. The dessert I had was based on a local sweet, the callison, which is a marzipan lozenge with icing on top. It was the best dessert I have ever eaten anywhere. No complaints at all. Looking at ways to revisit.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

It is tough to review this. The food is certainly approaching 4* - good, trying for great. Overall an enjoyable meal food, and service wise. The wine list as well is great (the previous report said high prices, but like for like bottles were cheaper than central Aix). Our meal (including wine and a tip) came to Euro 80 per person

No criticism of the staff (who were lovely, and whose only error was to not get control of the situation).

So why 3*. Simply put, the table next to us were directly rude and very unwelcoming. We felt that loud English (and Canadians) were unwelcome at this venue.

To explain - we were a group of 7 friends in our late 30's (2 us were not drinking due to pregnancy, and my driving). We had just escaped our children for the first time in a week. So we were roucous (but no vulgarities - just loud friendly discourse). We were not sat down for 5 minutes when the table next to us shooshed us. They were finishing their desert, so we thought best ignore. Ten minutes later, they actually mocked us (copying laughter etc). I would not have had a problem quietening down, and maybe even moving table, if only they had asked - but now I was getting annoyed. We may have been perceived to be rude - but it was unnintentional, unlike the behaviour meeted out by our neighbours. It ended with the man of the family shouting at us, and the seven women stating we had ruined their night! Very unseemly!

But you know what, I am actually slightly sympathetic. Here is a good local restaurant, in an out of the way locale, off the tourist beaten track. I can see why some luddites would want to keep it to themselves (especially as the alternative (in Summer) is either the conveyor belt of mediocre fare as in so many Cote D'Azure restaurants, or the weeks ahead booking requirement of those gems of French Cuisine striving to keep standards up in the area).

But I have deducted a star from my review. The management could have handled the situation better (offered us a bottle of wine to compensate for moving inside, or pacified the agressors in some way).

So to conclude - come here if you are a couple, or solo (or speak French like a native). It is good. Forget it if you are obviously Anglo, in a group or with kids.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Let's start with the good things:
Very friendly staff and chilled atmosphere. Also, the bread (home made?) and garlic sauce were very nice.
Wine list was not bad.

Bad things: quite a lot, and let me premise i am italian (spoiled when it comes to food)
1) overall, very overpriced compared to what we got. We had one menue for 39 euros (very banal) and two dishes at la carte. One 35 euro wine. We paid 120 euros.
2) it seemed one of those places "i wish i could, but i am far from being what i would like to be"
3) starters (entres): two different ones of which one was a medley of the house starters: all cold dishes, including the stuffed coliflowers which were not too bad, but needed to be warm as a minimum
4) main courses: a fillet which was ok but way too small considering it costed 30 euros. Also, it was served over a bed of flavorless gnocchi. The other main plate we had was the cod. One dish of very banal fish cooked hospital style: boiled, and accompained by boiled carrots, boiled peas and boiled potatoes. It reminded me of when i staied two nights in a hospital after a surgery.
5) while we hoped for a turnaround on the dessert, we were very disappointed. Thank god we had only one to share. We choosed a "crem caramel". Well, as an italian in france you would expect a decent caramel at least. Nope...it was a simple biscuit with a smash of caramel candy style, and a ball of not home made ice cream on top, just to make it more appealing to the eyes. Veeeryyyy disappointing. The type of taste you can get from a cookie you buy at intermarche'!!!

Last, while you would expect the mother of all questions in a pricey restaurant: "could we offer you a liquor" - nah, nothing like that. And it was ok as we were really looking forward to go back to the hotel and try to forget to having totally wasted 120 euros which could have better be used for a couple of bottles of chablis and some feench cheese.....

In summary: i am so confused as to how this place has 4.5 rating on trip advisor!! If at least it was in the center of a nice town...instead of sadly being located close to a highway roundabout! Mah...let's just try to forget

1  Thank elenapezzetti
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have been brought to this cosy and fine restaurant by local friends. It's very near Aix-en-Provence and right at Le Canet and a few meters away from highway exit. The food is amazing quality nd freshness, taste is absolutely fantastic and the meal is priced reasonably. For all business or holiday travelors in this region and most importantly if you are a fine cuisine lover, I do recommend you to experience it. This is definitely one of best places to dine out in Provence. The restaurant is often full, do not forget to make your reservation in advance. Enjoy!