“nice ambience” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“nice ambience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

The food is good if you like Goan taste.
There was an uncle singing old melodies on request over Guitar which was good.
Ambiance and staff was also good. but the crowd is not at all happening.. good for family but not for youngsters.

• Visited June 2013

Navi Mumbai (New Mumbai), Maharashtra, India
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Please don't go here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

We were made to wait for an Hour here saying the hotel was full... but later on when we went inside only 2 tables were occupied while the rest of the hotel was empty... Our entire family was upset and we walked out to find another better restaurant... Pls dun go here

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Swapnali_13
Sydney, Australia
“Dissapointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Ambience is nothing great to write about. The food quality and the quantity is nothing great. I was quite dissapointed.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thane
“Nice food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Had been to Goa Portuguesa on last last weekend with family and friends. We had 3 cars and parking could have been issue as there was no place on service road for parking. However, valet parking was available & the guy politely took over the keys of our vehicles. Reception person welcomed us and asked how many persons are there though we haven't had prior reservation. We were 12 in total so he arranged our table within 5-6 minutes. The place was not big but was decently arranged with tables. Menu card is little heavy but not too much. Portion size is also adequate. We ordered Prawns & chicken in starters along with Solkadhi. The main course of Surmai Goan curry was mouth watering & prawns with thick gravy was also tasty. Had live guitarist singing song as per your choice or occasion. Waiters were courteous and waiting time was also acceptable. Overall, a nice dining experience.Kids and women enjoyed a lot.

• Visited April 2013
Thane, Maharashtra, India
“The Good, The Bad and The Ugly”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was quite elated at the prospect of one of the famous(??) seafood restaurants in Mumbai opening its branch in Thane. Goa Portuguesa is a name quite well known in the circles of seafood lovers, like me and going to Dadar or Andheri every time for a seafood meal does become cumbersome with the traffic involved. So my exuberence was well placed, I would say. I had saved that restaurant for a special occasion and visited it on the 11th of March 2013.

The Good:

Owing to space constraint the restaurant didnt have much of a parking place but the valets were really nice and so was the welcoming committe at the reception. Indeed the people welcomed us really well to begin with and the Manager of the Restaurant (Mr. Mankar) himself dropped down to our table to say a hello.

The Ambience was quite alright, nothing extra-ordinary, they hadnt changed much of the things from the previous place which was there though they have a lift in place to go to the first floor. And a sort of makeshift restrobar at the end of the restaurant. We were made comfortable as we ordered.

The food in itself thought slightly overpriced (not much but around 20% more than other fine dine restaurants) but hey it was an occasion and it was a branded restaurant, so that was alright. We ordered the Prawns Rissois, which was absolutely yummy, the Mutton croquettes which were equally nice and another chicken starter which was so so.

Since their bar had just opened, they didnt have enough stuff to make all the cocktails on the menu and I do think their bartender needs to do a course in making cocktails. The drinks were definitely way way overpriced, but then again, no complaints as we expected it. Just wish they did the cocktails a bit better though. (Even I can do a LIT better than what they served us).

The Main course was pretty average I must say, the Pork Vindaalo was not done to my liking, I have had better in Mumbai (forget in Goa), The prawns main dish we ordered was also quite alright, nothing extraordinary but not bad either.

So all in all I would rate the drinks (cocktails) as a 2 on a scale of 5, the starters as 4 and the main course as 3.

The BAD:

The Ambience, as I mentioned before, is nothing great and once the restaurant starts filling up, it really gets stuffy in there.

The Service is absolutely horrible. They messed up each and every of our order. We requested for 9 paavs, they got in 8, so one of us was left waiting for 15 mins before they got back to serving him. The attendants were never present, never smiling and never courteous. We had to shout out for the waiters (something I hate doing and something I havent done in ages). But there was absolutely no other way of getting their attention. And the wait period between second helpings was absolutely way too long. It takes them atleast 20 mins to get the next round of rotis.

It was a birthday, so we had a cake, when they got us the cake all of its cherries were knocked off (sigh), and funnily enough not a single staff member wished the birthday girl. This was surprising (though its not mandatory) but most upscale restaurants usually take special care of a birthday party. This evidently was not the case here.

I would think in Service and Ambience I would rate them as 1.

The UGLY:

When we were done with our dinner, we had to wait for a good 30 mins (yes I counted on my watch) for them to present us with the bill. When the bill came in and I gave them my card they came back to me asking me for my pin for a credit card. I went up to their bar and requested them to use their other card machine since this was the first time a pin was being requested for a credit card in my case. And the guy there (definitely too young and daft to be a manager) very rudely told me that they will not use their other machine (which was lying there in the corner) and that I can go down the street and get the money form the ATM. This was quite a shocking way to treat someone who had made a huge bill at their restaurant. I might have put up a fight but I thought better of it, gave them another card, which worked without them asking for its Pin and got out of there.

For Hospitality I would rate this place and its management as a big ZERO for the sheer reason that I cant rate any lower.

But all in all the ending left a very awful taste in my mouth, inspite of the good starters. I personally wouldnt be considering to visit this place again, frankly Thane as many other good restaurants now, which serve amazing seafood, for me to go a place, which is not only pretentious but also considers their customers to be nothing but big fat wallets and have no sense of hospitality towards them.

Food can be good or bad, but attitude and service always wins for me.

For you guys (considering you dont have a bad experience), if you want to try reasonably good seafood (nothing extraordinary), at exhorbitant prices, with horrible service, pretty bad overpriced cocktails and drinks and a snobbish attitude of the management, you might want to visit this place. You can then tell everyone that you have been to Goa Portuguesa.

For those of you guys who think that good food with good service is way better than just being in a place with a popular name are most welcome to go right next door ;)

• Visited March 2013